GL/MW/OV December 2010 disco thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May Suckville's palms rest in peace.

at least Suckville won't need to worry about drowning in snow :P

Sorry, just couldn't resist it..

LOL leave it to the ol GFS to give ya the phantom 300+ hour storm...

but lets look at next week's possible system, MIGHT be almost time to thread that one too:

gfs_pcp_192m.gif

it weakens it after but it still showed something. getting pretty close to inside the 180 realistic value....

OT, but not something you see everyday.

Good thing you labeled this as OT or you'd be :banned: After all, this is the GL/MW/OV thread. :P

I don't think I've seen anyone from that part of the country post here. If so, they could start their own regional thread and talk to themselves.

Seriously, I know very little about about the number of thunderstorms experienced in HI, but would imagine that it's rather rare.

38 here. Snow mostly melted in sunshine, still there in shady areas.

Speaking of snow, a slow start a bad omen for winter? Not at all here.

Last 10 winters imby

.......Thru Dec 10....Season total

2010-11.......1.5".........????

2009-10.......1.2".........46.1"

2008-09.......4.5".........64.8"

2007-08.......3.3".........78.2"

2006-07.......2.9".........36.3"

2005-06.....15.0".........41.9"

2004-05.......0.9".........82.1"

2003-04.......1.7".........38.0"

2002-03.......9.3".........69.0"

2001-02..........T..........43.1"

2000-01.......6.3".........47.3"

Felt like a torch today, albeit it's just relative to the first 9 days of December I guess. High of 40º at LAF was 1º above the normal for today.

Scary how good 30's feel after a bunch of single digits. Wish it would last but next week looks brutal again. *Sigh*

Good thing you labeled this as OT or you'd be :banned: After all, this is the GL/MW/OV thread. :P

I don't think I've seen anyone from that part of the country post here. If so, they could start their own regional thread and talk to themselves.

Seriously, I know very little about about the number of thunderstorms experienced in HI, but would imagine that it's rather rare.

funny coincidence. i pointed it out in the tx thread too.

hawaii occasionally gets kona storms. this system wasn't really one, but they can often bring hail, flooding, waterspouts, etc. during the winter.

Well, have now had a solid snow pack for over a week now. Our original 10" is now down to about 4". With rain on the way for a time tomorrow we'll probably lose another inch or so, before adding a few more tomorrow night and Sunday. The rain and then arctic air will turn the existing snow pack into a glacier. This same type of thing happened last season. Our first snow was turned into a glacier, and didn't melt till March. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing the grass anytime soon...

DVN long range

THE PATTERN FLATTENS ALOFT WEDNESDAY AS ANOTHER PARTIALLY PHASED

SERIES OF SHORT WAVES MOVE OVER THE ROCKIES INTO THE PLAINS. THIS

LOOKS TO BRING A ROUND OF WARM ADVECTION DRIVEN SNOW TO THE AREA

WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. AT THIS POINT...THIS APPEARS TO BE A LIGHT

SNOW EVENT...BUT A LONG DURATION OF MORE THAN 12 HOURS. THUS...WE

MAY SEE SEVERAL INCHES OF ACCUMULATION.

ILX

SOUTHERLY FLOW STARTS

TO MODERATE THE TEMPS A BIT FOR THE MIDWEST. ANOTHER ONE TWO PUNCH

OF SYSTEMS HINTED FOR MID/END OF WEEK WITH A CLIPPER SYSTEM ON ITS

WAY TO COLLIDE WITH ANOTHER SW LOW.

This morning's visible satellite imagery sure reveals the extensive expanse of the snow cover over the Midwest. Pretty impressive addition to the overall snowfield since the beginning of the month. It's hard to believe there was a tornado outbreak over parts of the Midwest less than 3 weeks ago.

Picked up about 0.40" of rain yesterday, and about a half inch of snow early this morning. The rain and warmer temps helped melt/compact the existing snow down to about 3" or so, and now that is like cement. Return of the glacier, just like last season. The fresh snow on top of that makes the old snow cover look like it's a year old lol.

Archived