• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The Look Ahead Thread

WinterWxLuvr

What's next winter look like? Seriously. What signals are out there. I know its a long way away, and any outlook would be prone to serious error, but just wondering what the thought process would be.

No.

-----

People are saying we'll head back into a weak/mod Nina this winter after a weak/neutral summer (as per the usual climo. coming out of a strong Nina winter)... check those analogs.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

-----

People are saying we'll head back into a weak/mod Nina this winter after a weak/neutral summer (as per the usual climo. coming out of a strong Nina winter)... check those analogs.

I noticed that some of those models used to predict the Nina/Nino have it flipping to Nino conditions, in other words, quite the spread in forecasts. I don't know anything about those, so, likewise, nothing of their reliability. Is there one or more of those that are generally looked upon as being more reliable. Also, I don't know where to check on the analogs for a weak/moderate Nina after a strong Nina. Can you or others point me in the right direction?

I know you and others look forward to and enjoy spring/summer. By your own admission, you're the severe weather weenie. Others are into the tropical side. For me, spring/summer are just a toll road I am forced to travel in order to get to Fall/Winter.

I noticed that some of those models used to predict the Nina/Nino have it flipping to Nino conditions, in other words, quite the spread in forecasts. I don't know anything about those, so, likewise, nothing of their reliability. Is there one or more of those that are generally looked upon as being more reliable. Also, I don't know where to check on the analogs for a weak/moderate Nina after a strong Nina. Can you or others point me in the right direction?

I know you and others look forward to and enjoy spring/summer. By your own admission, you're the severe weather weenie. Others are into the tropical side. For me, spring/summer are just a toll road I am forced to travel in order to get to Fall/Winter.

The models are almost worthless. For composites of possible analogs you can check this and this, but you have to find what years you would think are the best fit (thats why its analog). Also, this (Weekly ENSO update) has ENSO data going back to 1950 and also has some discussion on the current ENSO evolution.

The models are almost worthless. For composites of possible analogs you can check this and this, but you have to find what years you would think are the best fit (thats why its analog). Also, this (Weekly ENSO update) has ENSO data going back to 1950 and also has some discussion on the current ENSO evolution.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

euro already has 80s for next monday with 850s 16C+. Maybe we can get our first 90! ;)

If I remember correctly, the Euro was the first to show today's warmup, and you posted it. I think it originally was for tomorrow, but it did warm up. We'll see how it does this time. I can do without 90, though. Ever.

If I remember correctly, the Euro was the first to show today's warmup, and you posted it. I think it originally was for tomorrow, but it did warm up. We'll see how it does this time. I can do without 90, though. Ever.

yeah it might have been. 16C (think we're about 15C today) is probably a little low for 90+ but at this range it could warm a bit if it holds. another sizeable low slated to pass well nw. we cook with that setup. overall the pattern looks warm after tomorrow.

yeah it might have been. 16C (think we're about 15C today) is probably a little low for 90+ but at this range it could warm a bit if it holds. another sizeable low slated to pass well nw. we cook with that setup. overall the pattern looks warm after tomorrow.

We got surprisingly close

FWIW, 12z EURO looks 65-70+ (maybe well + at times) at least mon-thurs. 60+ sun.. maybe end up warmer, 850s rise really fast. storm risks mo and thurs. Lots of complaining for a pattern that is warmer than it is cold.

FWIW, 12z EURO looks 65-70+ (maybe well + at times) at least mon-thurs. 60+ sun.. maybe end up warmer, 850s rise really fast. storm risks mo and thurs. Lots of complaining for a pattern that is warmer than it is cold.

Tom T in Bmore had 81 for Sunday

Funny. Looking at Weather Channel has 50's for weekend. What is that??? Looking for a nice storm. Thurs?

there's going to be a front in the area for fri/sat it seems.

Hoping for a bust, with a surprise warm-up to the 60s and no rain.

not sure how we'll get there friday.. looks pretty bleh on models with room to spare. saturday the warm air tries to push north late, i could potentially see sat end up nicer in the afternoon than planned. gfs well into the 70s sunday.

Here's eyeballed 0z Euro temps at 18z each day Sat till the end of the cycle

Sat - 50-55

Sun - 65-75

Mon - 70-80+

Tue - 65-75

Wed - 60-70

Thur - 60-70+

Fri - ~60 (40s PA/80s SE VA)

12z Euro surface temps DC area at 18z each day

Sat - ~50 (50s s/w, 40s n/e)

Sun - ~70 (850s ~12-14C)

Mon - ~70-80 (850s 16C+!)