• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Baltimore/DC Rolling Obs Thread

WxUSAF

Just the usual here in Dale City, mild 57 degrees, a little wind, peak gusts to about 40 mph. A few passing cumulus clouds.

You want extreme wind - Gotta move to Maryland. I'm serving a life sentence in northern Virginia and I will NEVER get out alive.

I wanted to see a few old rotted trees fall harmlessly in the woods hurting no one/ hitting no man made structures - But once again - DENIED! Major suckage living in the mild, fair wind capital of the world. You want a nice place to live - no severe weather , no real cold weather Hey by all means live in Dale City VA.

Move along, move along, nothing to see here.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can see a few of the fires on sat.. winds are perhaps a little too strong for great plumes tho the big ones have enough smoke it seems. looks like the biggest is up in nw va in the higher terrain.

post-1615-0-41993200-1298146721.jpg

Was just thinking how remarkable the last year or so has been with severe weather in the DC area. From 2005-2009, we activated the EOC 5 times for weather events. From Dec 2009-Present, or roughly 14 months, we have activated it 7 times for different events. 3 times for snowstorms, 2 times for severe thunderstorms, once for a major watermain break, and now once for a wildfire. CRAZY!!

Looking forward to seeing them. Was the fire still going?

That sector that you had mentioned was under control... the brush was blackened up to Meadow View Dr., but they stopped it there and it did not get to Rt. 28. They had Riffle Ford Rd. completely blocked off from all sides... there was some structural damage in there. Some areas were still going, but it seemed to be contained.

real quick:

brush fire pics

http://twitpic.com/41kckr

http://twitpic.com/41keio

I took video, but since that old camera is complete screwed, I must have done something to it and it complete when white. So no video from me. Luckily (well, except for today) I'll have a new HD SLR next week.

I'll post the rest here later.

Here's the tree stuff noted earlier. It's in a difficult spot to photo as there is a hill right next to a sidewalk with a fence along it and it was a bit down the hill. It was pretty surreal to see--as mentioned I dont think I've ever seen a full size tree go down like that. I almost would have had time to get it on iphone vid or something I just didnt realize what was happening at first. Building fared OK considering.. could have been worse.

post-1615-0-53688300-1298149459.jpg

post-1615-0-54446200-1298149464.jpg

post-1615-0-60787400-1298149471.jpg

post-1615-0-56901000-1298149476.jpg

Now multi alarm brush fires with sturcutures in danger in Odenton. The county is running out of resources to send.

Too close for my liking, though just to my south. Can see the smoke clearly from route 100 heading west, then on Telegraph road heading south.

Went to the National Harbor today for a beer and oyster festival. On the way I saw the plume of smoke to the N of 95/beltway around college park. Obvious brush fire and was thinking "wow, red flag is serious this time".

During the festival the Potomac river was wall to wall whitecaps which was cool. You could see the planes heading into National to land were having a tough time. Lots of rocking and yawing. I'm sure a lot of people were happy to land safely today and barf bags may be in short supply.

Driving home the beltway was a mess from the fires and 95N being closed so I turned around and went through DC and the 14th St bridge. Smooth sailing until a tree in the median of GW Parkway uprooted and blocked N bound traffic. It happed just in front of us. No cars hit. We drove up the grass median around the tree and back on the parkway just as police showed up. They didn't really seem to care that cars were driving on the median.

Beer, oysters, and exciting weather. What a great Saturday.

Archived