Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Baltimore/DC Rolling Obs Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds at the top of the mixing layer this morning hitting 65 kts, with winds of 85 kts not that far above the top of the layer in this morning's IAD sounding... let's see just how much of that can mix down to the surface :devilsmiley:

So want to give me a lesson on deciphering winds and the mixing layer? lol

Are you using BUFKIT for that? And if so what's your method?

So want to give me a lesson on deciphering winds and the mixing layer? lol

Are you using BUFKIT for that? And if so what's your method?

You can use forecast soundings if you want... I just looked at IAD's sounding this morning since we're in nowcast territory.

Here's the sounding, with the mixing layer labeled:

post-96-0-13777800-1298127367.png

Going to go basic so everyone reading can understand it...

In dry air, the mixing layer is a volume of air that has temperatures that cool dry-adiabatically (a rate of 9.8 C/km) as you go up. Air is free to mix within this layer, and it is where the wind can blow uninhibited from the top of the layer to the bottom of the layer. The strongest winds in this layer indicates the maximum wind possible. A mixing layer can either be at the surface or aloft.

The wind barbs on the right indicate the winds at certain levels... the lines and flags indicate the wind speed in knots. Winds of ~65 kts are shown at the top of the mixing layer. More information on deciphering the winds barbs: http://www.atmos.was.../windbarbs.html

Granted, this is just the 12z sounding... as the sun warms the atmosphere, the mixing layer will likely go higher up and we could see those stronger winds in the mixing layer this afternoon.

KBWI 191454Z 30030G42KT 10SM CLR 10/M12 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 28048/1358 SLP117 T01001117 51009

Peak wind from an hour ago... 48 kts. 2 kts shy of severe force.

Sweet little lesson there! Thanks! Very informative.

realistically how high into the higher winds do you think that layer could get? RUC has pretty sig winds around 4kft.

I'll say 60-70 max for most, with a chance of going hurricane force! This will be an interesting afternoon.

My aunt just flew in from MDW into BWI... She reports it being extremely turbulent, they had to abort landing on Runway 28 twice before being able to put it down on 33L. The plane was also full of Jr. High students going to DC, needless to say there were lots of barf bags being handed to the flight attendant.

Archived