mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Fall 2011

JoMo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is rolling out now. Typically the 18Z NAM starts rolling around 1940Z and the GFS around 2130Z.

So 7:40 for NAM, and 9-10ish for GFS? Do you always have to put the Z at end of everything? LOL as you can tell, I am not a meteorologist, but I love the weather in Oklahoma.

So 7:40 for NAM, and 9-10ish for GFS? Do you always have to put the Z at end of everything? LOL as you can tell, I am not a meteorologist, but I love the weather in Oklahoma.

Sorry about the Z times--I am so used to it. For the 18Z guidance--that equates to 1:40 PM central, 3:30 PM central for the NAM/GFS respectively in terms of when they start running.

Sorry about the Z times--I am so used to it. For the 18Z guidance--that equates to 1:40 PM central, 3:30 PM central for the NAM/GFS respectively in terms of when they start running.

So, how long to they take? Don't forget to put a picture of them up! I find this so fascinating!

Thanks again for letting people like me talk about the weather with you!! It's awesome!! I actually applied and was going into the OU Meterology School in Norman, but ended up staying home and going to Tulsa Community College and then OSU-Tulsa. Still have OU season football tickets and only stepped in Stillwater once to graduate.

So, how long to they take? Don't forget to put a picture of them up! I find this so fascinating!

The NAM runs out to 84 hours. It is the mesoscale operational model run by NCEP--and typically it takes around 50 mins or so for the entire 84 hours to finish. The GFS is the NCEP global--and it runs out to 192 hours at full resolution before truncating. It takes about an hour to make it out that far. After that it runs out to 384 hours--but don't bother with it by thentongue.gif

It is only run that far out for the global ensemble.

Thanks again for letting people like me talk about the weather with you!! It's awesome!! I actually applied and was going into the OU Meterology School in Norman, but ended up staying home and going to Tulsa Community College and then OSU-Tulsa. Still have OU season football tickets and only stepped in Stillwater once to graduate.

Don't let that stop you from learning meteorology. You can learn probably most, if not all, the parts of meteorology that you need to understand and forecast the weather on a daily basis. This is a GREAT site to get started with. As well as the COMET modules.

Norman is going to get a bit more than 6" IMO...

I'm not too sure about that. I've noticed various models depicting a dry slot that could put a damper on things for roughly the SW quadrant of OK. Too early to say exactly who will get screwed over by this, but given images like the one below, I'm trying to temper my expectations.

cref_t5sfc_f13.png

If this comes to fruition, we may only see good accumulating snows for around 4-5 hours. I just don't see the intensity of any band we might land in being enough to trump the significantly longer duration over N OK and KS.

I'm not too sure about that. I've noticed various models depicting a dry slot that could put a damper on things for roughly the SW quadrant of OK. Too early to say exactly who will get screwed over by this, but given images like the one below, I'm trying to temper my expectations.

If this comes to fruition, we may only see good accumulating snows for around 4-5 hours. I just don't see the intensity of any band we might land in being enough to trump the significantly longer duration over N OK and KS.

I see your RUC and raise you a HRRR

post-1973-0-32902000-1297204203.png

I see your RUC and raise you a HRRR

Good stuff, though to be fair, it still shows us SW of the "pivot point" (until mid-morning at least) and having to rely on a narrower window for the heavy stuff than N of 40. As I said earlier, I think some fortunate banding could easily put us at or above current forecasts... but for now I'm still expecting a dropoff from N to S across the OUN CWA on average.

Gun to my head, I say 5-6" for OUN as of now.

Good stuff, though to be fair, it still shows us SW of the "pivot point" (until mid-morning at least) and having to rely on a narrower window for the heavy stuff than N of 40. As I said earlier, I think some fortunate banding could easily put us at or above current forecasts... but for now I'm still expecting a dropoff from N to S across the OUN CWA on average.

Gun to my head, I say 5-6" for OUN as of now.

Agreed. Should be interesting to see how all this plays out. I hope we quickly transition from sleet to all snow faster than the last storm.

5-6" definitely sounds like a good bet for the metro.

First report of 1 foot of snow in Great Bend, KS.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS

507 PM CST TUE FEB 08 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0506 PM HEAVY SNOW GREAT BEND 38.36N 98.81W

02/08/2011 E12.0 INCH BARTON KS EMERGENCY MNGR

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0096

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0350 PM CST TUE FEB 08 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN KS...NWRN OK...OK/NRN TX PANHANDLES...EXTREME

SERN CO

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 082150Z - 090245Z

HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-2 INCHES WILL PERSIST ACROSS MUCH OF SRN

KS...AND EXPAND INTO NWRN OK AND THE OK/NRN TX PANHANDLES THIS

EVENING. LOCALLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES WITH N/NELY WINDS OF 20-30 MPH

WILL OCCUR AT TIMES.

AN ELONGATED BAND OF HEAVY SNOWFALL LOCATED OVER SRN KS HAS REMAINED

NEARLY STATIONARY...PRODUCING SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-2 INCHES. STRONG

LOWER-MID LEVEL FLOW /SAMPLED AT 40-50 KTS PER ICT AND DDC VWP DATA/

WILL CONTINUE TO FOCUS BROAD ZONE OF ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE ACROSS THE

DISCUSSION AREA. DEEP SATURATED DENDRITIC GROWTH LAYER ATOP COLD

ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL YIELD VERY HIGH LIQUID SNOWFALL RATIOS AROUND

20-30:1. WITH TIME...MID-LEVEL FORCING WILL INCREASE IN RESPONSE TO

DCVA AHEAD OF AN APPROACHING UPPER SHORTWAVE TROUGH CURRENTLY

POSITIONED OVER THE SRN ROCKIES /PER WATER VAPOR IMAGERY/.

ADDITIONALLY...140+ KT UPPER JET WILL BECOME REPOSITIONED FROM ERN

NM INTO WRN OK...PLACING MUCH OF THE NRN TX PANHANDLE/NWRN OK AND

SRN KS IN THE FAVORABLE CYCLONIC EXIT REGION. THIS WILL CONTINUE TO

SUPPORT A SWD EXPANSION OF HEAVY SNOWFALL INTO THE NRN TX PANHANDLE

AND NWRN OK.

..ROGERS.. 02/08/2011

what is that? * said in my best Twister voice*

850mb frontogenesis... I don't know exactly what it is but the numbers are enormous. Keep in mind that the NWS typically would would want their contour maps to saturate, so they would make the contours go up to some really absurd value that they know will never happen. That donut hole in the middle is proof that the 850mb frontogenesis map saturates at a value of 1,000 (the inner circle has 1000 written on it).

Hey All, Sorry to intrude again. No expert here but, a great disco over on the SE forum about the storms strength (actual vs. models). Looks like a 998 pressure in this link. Hope it works out well for you & save some for us will ya!

http://www.spc.noaa....r.php?sector=15

Ya its a bit stronger then both the NAM/GFS. NAM has it at 1000mb at 0z with the GFS at 1002mb.

Archived