12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Fall 2011

JoMo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be really high ratios for this part of the country. But 18:1 is a bit high for sure I would think. 12-15:1 maybe...

I don't know, I think they may get pretty high considering the cold air involved. 700 MB temps between -10 and -15. 500 MB temps between -20 and -25 and colder. Prime snow growth. I wish the SPC SREF was working as they output some good graphics, although it would probably be contaminated by the NAM.

so are you guys using this thread for the big winter storm coming or is there a seprate storm/obs thread?

I think a storm/obs thread is warranted. We sound pretty spoiled down here. This type of storm would be generating more buzz if it weren't for the blizzard last week.

A wide swath of 6"+ snows is not a common occurrence down here.

Comparing the 18z NAM/GFS. The NAM generally thinks the system will be stronger. 700 MB SW winds of 60 kts over central OK at hour 42. The GFS has 700 MB winds of 30-35kts over N TX at same time. The NAM also has a closed 850 MB low with associated stronger winds. This produces a lot more lift over the front and more snow.

Joplinmet says he wouldn't be surprised if this system takes a jaunt to the north. Considering the last two systems came in farther north, I wouldn't be shocked either.

Well, somebody is wrong because the NWS is already giving 6-12'' in Wichita, and that map is only giving them a 10% chance of more than 4 inches..so someone is wrong...I think that map is a little low.

4-6" Wichita.

*SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST KANSAS BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Ya the 00z models will be interesting. I don't if I by the quick exit and southern track to the GFS. I am going lower amounts for now with mainly 3-6" and 2-4" in the northern viewing area. But I really want to see how the 00z models look.

Doug

what makes you say that? It's been pretty consistent every run.

So have the other models, and the GFS is the outlier at the moment, both with timing and QPF, not to mention having the weak surface low all the way down in Mexico a couple of runs ago..

I'm not a great forecaster, so maybe it's picking up on something the others are missing, but HPEC thinks the GFS isn't doing well with this, and TUL seems to be backing off their bet on the GFS in the latest briefing, saying they're south of consensus and if they alter their forecast track, it will be back north. (not to mention their timing is much closer to the ECMWF and NAM than the GFS)

So have the other models, and the GFS is the outlier at the moment, both with timing and QPF, not to mention having the weak surface low all the way down in Mexico a couple of runs ago..

It's on the southern side of guidance along with the GGEM. If the system is weaker it will end up like the GFS. ECMWF is a compromise between the NAM/GFS and it's what I would put my money on depending on 00z guidance.

00z NAM starts in about 5 mins.

It's on the southern side of guidance along with the GGEM. If the system is weaker it will end up like the GFS. ECMWF is a compromise between the NAM/GFS and it's what I would put my money on depending on 00z guidance.

The GGEM takes it farther south, and has the lower QPF, but also disagrees about timing, bringing the precip into Oklahoma a few hours after the GFS.

Archived