Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential 3-5 day thaw coming

ORH_wxman

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good winters have always come down from these epic runs. I fully expect to not return to the run we had. I do think we'll see some wintry stretches in the next 4-6 weeks, so maybe next week we can evaluate the state of winter, because I think we'll have a better idea if we do head that way or not. My guess is that it won't be 40F from now until April 1st. I also don't think we should rush any potential swing in the pattern after next week.

Eh? It's in the 40s today..

Models may rush things, but there are signs it may try to make a comeback, that's why I figure next week might offer some insight. The first interesting "event" imo will be Valentines Day. It could be in the single digits in Maine, and 60s to low 70s in the MA. Battle ground might be near here to within 80 miles north or south.

GFS shows just that. On Valentines Day, Ian is wearing tight shorts as he delivers roses to Randy, while Eric in Maine is in a burly fur coat as he brings a bouquet of roses to Dryslot.

Wow talk about writing the obituary to Winter 2010-11. Anyway, if anyone really needs to see snow all they have to do is jump on the Pike and head west to the Berkshires. I hear it still snows there every day and will do so into May.

No sir - that's not really what is written there. I said key things like "...if you go by those" and so forth, eludicating something other than writing off the winter.

It's more at realism though, and getting people aware that the end is nearing... The winter, "probably" has maxed out though... Whether it ends abruptly or "dies a slow death" - meaning there can be additional events along a slow decline - remains to be seen.

I guess my inland somewhat elevated situation is really starting to pay off in these stale cold air masses and then the modified Pacific things such as we may have next week at times.

Yesterday topped at 30 and today is only 30 at noon...may barely crack 32 before the clouds thicken. .

But I'd trade it for a solid hit for one snowstorm this season.

Eh? It's in the 40s today..

I guess my inland somewhat elevated situation is really starting to pay off in these stale cold air masses and then the modified Pacific things such as we may have next week at times.

Yesterday topped at 30 and today is only 30 at noon...may barely crack 32 before the clouds thicken. .

But I'd trade it for a solid hit for one snowstorm this season.

I was talking more about the coastal plain rather than the interior, it's in the 30s here, mostly cloudy, with heavy icicles remaining intact.

Well for all the nabobs of negativity here (tm Spiro Agnew)..... Last year doubled my snowfall after February 22nd. :thumbsup: Maybe conventional wisdom favors a slow degradation of the snow pack, but the fight back of Winter against Spring's advance can produce the most enjoyable winter events of all...... But you just look at it from a different perspective than the Dec -> Feb 15th period when so much is about building up the snow depth.....

35.0F/28F here attm

Lot's of dripping. Snow has really formed a dense, compacted 20-24" snowpack, down from a 29" or so one last week.

Still, not bad. Drove around N ORH a lot today (car stuff) and many road crews out knocking down the banks

Well for all the nabobs of negativity here (tm Spiro Agnew)..... Last year doubled my snowfall after February 22nd. :thumbsup: Maybe conventional wisdom favors a slow degradation of the snow pack, but the fight back of Winter against Spring's advance can produce the most enjoyable winter events of all...... But you just look at it from a different perspective than the Dec -> Feb 15th period when so much is about building up the snow depth.....

Well, you did get that one hella event... January was pretty good around here, but so far, totals are nothing like what many to the south, west, and east have seen. Hopefully that will change.

At least the cold returns after today for a while

On a plus note...the sugar shacks must be about to open. The sap should be flowing nicely. Love a nice sap snow all laden on the trees and a trip to the local sugar shack to buy some freshly prepared maple syrup. Every stage of winter has it's nice parts.

Wind came up...gentle out of the south temp down to 42ish high was 46ish

The type of torch we get is still in question...whether its a full blown ridge over us for a few days...or if we only get partially scraped by the warmer temps. There's a big difference between highs near 40 with a dewpoint in the mid 20s and lots of cloud cover vs a high near 50 with dewpoint 39 and sunshine in terms of snow melt.

Archived