• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wunderground redesign

Ian

Did they literally just change it? I swear I was on in about 15 minutes ago and it looked like the old way.

i think they did it like 2 min before i posted it. i got the page messed up then an error for a minute then it returned. maybe they figured they should use the visibility to switch now.

Ugh, I hate the new design. Theyve stupified it! They dont list station elevation anymore in the main list. I wish they had an option to go back to the Classic look.

it is kind of odd that they shifted the forecast down "below the fold" in favor of some large map showing 2 weather threats in the whole world.

OK that was way too big of a change. I would have preferred this in gradual steps.

Not liking how you can't just read your zone forecast without having to click for each day.

I kind of miss the clunky 1998 style graphics.

At least you can change the forecast icons by clicking on them.

Ugh, I hate the new design. Theyve stupified it! They dont list station elevation anymore in the main list. I wish they had an option to go back to the Classic look.

The elevation is right next to the station id and oh look, the old site: http://classic.wunderground.com/

At least you can change the forecast icons by clicking on them.

:lol:

People are raging. http://www.facebook.com/wunderground

I'm not one to jump all over web designs (ala OMG, I hate the Facebook changes! If you hate it too, repost this message in your status and leave it for an hour), but this new design minimizes the pertinent weather information. The upper half of the main browser window is filled with meaningless components: the menu bar (too large) and an advertisement. The right third of the page is another ad. The pertinent weather information is found a rectangle roughly equal to 1/4 of the browser window. The radar isn't even on the first page, and you have to scroll down to see it. Grumpy.

And what's with the axis-free line charts for pressure, precipitation, wind chill, and dew points? Come on, if I want faux weather for the masses, I go to Weather Channel's weather.com. When I want solid information, I turn to weatherunderground. I hope I can continue to do so.

I'm not one to jump all over web designs (ala OMG, I hate the Facebook changes! If you hate it too, repost this message in your status and leave it for an hour), but this new design minimizes the pertinent weather information. The upper half of the main browser window is filled with meaningless components: the menu bar (too large) and an advertisement. The right third of the page is another ad. The pertinent weather information is found a rectangle roughly equal to 1/4 of the browser window. The radar isn't even on the first page, and you have to scroll down to see it. Grumpy.

And what's with the axis-free line charts for pressure, precipitation, wind chill, and dew points? Come on, if I want faux weather for the masses, I go to Weather Channel's weather.com. When I want solid information, I turn to weatherunderground. I hope I can continue to do so.

Ads.... I gave them $10 about 10 years ago and have an ad-free interface.

I like it! Here's one change that's great. Go to zip 30019... you'll find my PWS as the source. But because my station is a rapid fire station, you can watch the changes occur in almost real-time. I send my data every 4 seconds or so. I do the same type of live updates on my website for the current conditions. So basically, what I send to my site is exactly the same thing thing that I send to WU that is displaying on their site, all updated every 4-8 seconds. What you'll see right now is the wind changing frequently. but any temps, humidity, etc will be auto updates without having to refresh. Any updates flash in green. Too bad the NWS sites don't update frequently.

I think the new page looks a little less cluttered than the old page.

EDIT: Of COURSE... as soon as I post this the wind quits blowing. rolleyes.gif Doesn't matter that we're under a Wind Advisory. Stupid weather.

Good! Hopefully they keep giving us the option. i like how on the classic site you can scroll down the page to see all your favourites.

Earlier I wrote that the top menu bar was meaningless. Now that I've used the site a little more, I see you can add your favorite cities, and they show up with an icon for the weather condition (i.e. sunny, snowy, rainy, etc) and the temp. Kinda nice, so I take back calling it "meaningless." But the menu bar still takes up too much space.

The elevation is right next to the station id and oh look, the old site: http://classic.wunderground.com/

:lol:

People are raging. http://www.facebook.com/wunderground

Yay! Thanks for finding this. On the new look, you had to click on the station to get the elevation and what I was trying to do was sort all the stations by elevation to see how much of a difference a small amount of elevation made during marginal storm set ups.

Thoughts:

*click* ooh pretty update.

Global map with a few numbers on it? I didn't come to a local forecast page to be told about what's going on around the world.**

Weather summary? Cute girl (kinda). I didn't come to a local forecast page to read that, though.**

Why does clicking on a weather icon give you options for other ones? That should be in the settings. The icon should take you to a detailed (hourly?) forecast instead.

The temp/dewpoint bar thing in the hourly forecast looks awful with the new design.

What happened to my Celsius temps? *checks settings to make sure "both" is selected* Yep, my settings are right. Why is it just showing Fahrenheit?

Why so much scrolling down to see the 5-day outlook? What happened to the side-by-side that was so much better at utilizing the available space?

Sun-up/sun-down hourly thing... neat.

Scientific Forecaster Discussion ...horrible wording. Just call it "National Weather Service technical discussion"

Earthquake activity? Maybe only useful if I live anywhere that gets them often enough to be concerned about them, otherwise toss it.

The "Nearby" section... why are these boxes all over the place? Three staggered columns? Not pleasing to the eye.

Community section is IMO the least relevant section... put it at the very bottom.

What happened to my side nav?

*logs out and turns off AdBlock Plus*

OMG 8 ads? seriously?!?

**Only for paid ("paid") memberships apparently. Logged out and they were gone.

I wish ALL the various content blocks had the option to be minimized. Kari Kiefer is cute but having her watch me every time I check my obs is starting to creep me out.

She's on her way to becoming the next Jimmy Wales.

im pretty sure most dudes thought that when they first saw it. i thought they were pimping her out a bit.

i love wunderground but this is a bizarre thing they did here. usually a company would soft launch something like this. doing it in the middle of a huge storm then removing all the fallout is odd.

Archived