Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wunderground redesign

Ian

I love it, awesome redesign.

im sure it will be better in the end but i hope they will consider shifting some things around. local weather is of far more interest than some world map and some meteorologist blogger i've never heard of.

not a big fan of the new design, esp removing the most important thing from a wx site, the freaking forecast. i loved being able to get a quick glance at the next couple of days. i am using the classic, the new one does seem dumbed down and less weather oriented.

I am guessing that I provide them weather data and I get the discounted membership?

Indeed.

I signed up in 2004 and never had to pay again. I just checked, and it appears they recently extended my account to 2012.

They have such an odd business model... people with stations are the ones who use the site often enough to justify paying for no ads. And they let people hand out as many gift accounts, including to yourself, as you want. I guess money from paid accounts must make up a pretty insignificant amount of their income.

And what's with the axis-free line charts for pressure, precipitation, wind chill, and dew points? Come on, if I want faux weather for the masses, I go to Weather Channel's weather.com. When I want solid information, I turn to weatherunderground. I hope I can continue to do so.

That's the feature that most startled me about the redesign. This is the first real-world website that I've ever encountered where they've adopted Edward Tufte's idea for tiny data-dense graphics that can fit right in the middle of a text block without being a separately-located figure (Tufte calls 'em Sparklines). But I don't understand why WU is using them where they are, no block of text around them... surely some other kind of graph would be better in that location.

Archived