• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oklahoma Snowstorm

JCMan0407

14" now on the ground in Tulsa so they've broken their snow event records.

I saw that earlier and the MD's from SPC state that they should get 2"-3" per hour snowfall rates for the next several hours, thundersnow is a good possibility and also did anyone notice just how brutally cold it is as well with temperatures in the single digits with 30-40 mph winds. sheesh. what an amazing storm unfolding out there.

As awesome as it is to break snowfall records, I really hope people out there stay safe first and foremost.

Anybody who remembers, was this how March 1980 was? I know there was extreme accum in eastern NC, my parents have pictures. But they have never really said if it was windy with blizzard conditions. I would be thrilled to see something like this at least ONE time in my life! :snowman:

Everybody in Oklahoma, stay safe.

Anybody who remembers, was this how March 1980 was? I know there was extreme accum in eastern NC, my parents have pictures. But they have never really said if it was windy with blizzard conditions. I would be thrilled to see something like this at least ONE time in my life! :snowman:

I was around during the March 1980 snowstorm, but cities in South Carolina didn't get pounded like some areas of NC. I was born a little over a week before the February 1973 snowstorm and have been told how the wind was howling and snow was blowing. 28 consecutive hours of snowfall. I'm hoping such a storm hit these parts again soon.

It was a true blizzard here in 1980, temps in the mid teens, snowfall rates of 2-4" a hr, thunder and lightning for several hrs. I too am eagerly awaiting 1980 part duex.

I was only 3 during the storm. I remember playing in the snow, and we have several pics of me running around in it - or at least trying to! - but I don't remember the storm itself. My dad said it's the only time he's ever experienced thundersnow and that it was definitely blizzard-like (he had experienced a blizzard up in Michigan at his brother's house, so I figure he knew). We lived in Pitt County (Falkland) and I think my dad said we got about 18 inches there, but much higher drifts.

So I have been paying dues for years & years. My Mom has lived in Joplin for 10 months! :arrowhead:

Just picked this off of NWS-Sprinfield storm reports:

NWUS53 KSGF 012039

LSRSGF

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

239 PM CST TUE FEB 01 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0237 PM HEAVY SNOW JOPLIN 37.08N 94.51W

02/01/2011 M18.0 INCH JASPER MO EMERGENCY MNGR

18 INCHES OF SNOW HAS BEEN MEASURED SO FAR IN JOPLIN.

&&

$$

DCRAMER

Archived