Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like New Brunswick proper is just too far SE to really be in the bullseye for this event. We're holding steady at 26F for now although we have been dropping the last few hours so we'll see if we can squeak out a few more degrees.

26F/25F here with light freezing drizzle. Untreated sidewalks are glazed.

I was going off current ASOS/AWOS temps when I outlined that area, so consider it "generalized" ;)

Looks like New Brunswick proper is just too far SE to really be in the bullseye for this event. We're holding steady at 26F for now although we have been dropping the last few hours so we'll see if we can squeak out a few more degrees.

Edit: Speaking of Ray, with your tradition of how to measure snow threads, maybe you could make a thread about how to correctly measure ice? :) Most people here haven't ever dealt with measuring significant icing.

go to branch of tree, look for branches that have even amount of ice accumulation, measure in tenths of an inch

I was going off current ASOS/AWOS temps when I outlined that area, so consider it "generalized" ;)

:lol: Alrighty - it did match up with Mount Holly's "line of death" so to speak though:

NWS: SUGGEST THAT THOSE LIVING ALONG AND NW OF KCDW-KMMU-KSMQ-KDYL-KMQS BE PREPARED WITH BATTERY POWERED EQUIPMENT FOR POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES WED MORNING IF THIS IS AN ALL FREEZING RAIN EVENT THROUGH 9 AM WED. ALL CELL PHONES ETC SHOULD BE FULLY CHARGED. COULD BE SEVERAL HOURS WITHOUT POWER TOMORROW WHERE EVER GLAZE EXCEEDS 1/2 INCH.

Also, did you see my edit?

it will be intertesting to see how this works out. I have to leave for work at around 5:30 AM. As farmer pointed out, precip rate could be decent and this could affect what actually feezes. Temps around around 26 F in the area currently. Not sure if we fall anyfurther before the event begins.

Where I work in southern Bergen County, we had some decent freezing rain and sleet in this morning. I was scrapping my car for 15 minutes clearing a nice layer of ice when I left earlier.. My wife informed Edison did not get much of anyhting today.

My car is still glazed over on the roof etc.

Hopefully tomorrow is not a disaster in the morning, but current temps have me slightly concerned.

The saving grace for those areas that are in the upper 20s to near freezing is that the precip looks quite intense. I haven't seen anyone here mention it but Wes Junker mentioned in another thread that when temps are above 26 or 27, you don't really get heavy freezing rain because it doesn't freeze fast enough... a lot tends to simply run off. That makes the QPF amounts look more dangerous than they actually might be. Plus, the large amount of warmer water flowing into the surface layer combined with rapid release of latent heat due to freezing tends to warm up the surface.

For places below 26 or so, approximately MQS-DYL-SMQ on north and west, you're toast.

Here it's 21... :yikes:

The saving grace for those areas that are in the upper 20s to near freezing is that the precip looks quite intense. I haven't seen anyone here mention it but Wes Junker mentioned in another thread that when temps are above 26 or 27, you don't really get heavy freezing rain because it doesn't freeze fast enough... a lot tends to simply run off. That makes the QPF amounts look more dangerous than they actually might be. Plus, the large amount of warmer water flowing into the surface layer combined with rapid release of latent heat due to freezing tends to warm up the surface.

For places below 26 or so, approximately MQS-DYL-SMQ on north and west, you're toast.

Ray, I'm about 4 miles South of DYL and new to the area, so I'm not all that familiar with local geography. I assume I am in much better shape down here? A few miles can sometimes make all the difference in the world. I'm actually quite unprepared for this thinking I'm in central Bucks County and we'll get above freezing.

Thoughts? (Sorry for the imby post, new to the area)

Ray, I'm about 4 miles South of DYL and new to the area, so I'm not all that familiar with local geography. I assume I am in much better shape down here? A few miles can sometimes make all the difference in the world. I'm actually quite unprepared for this thinking I'm in central Bucks County and we'll get above freezing.

I used to live in Warminster. There is basically no differnce between Warminster and Doylestown in winter related events.

:lol: Alrighty - it did match up with Mount Holly's "line of death" so to speak though:

NWS: SUGGEST THAT THOSE LIVING ALONG AND NW OF KCDW-KMMU-KSMQ-KDYL-KMQS BE PREPARED WITH BATTERY POWERED EQUIPMENT FOR POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES WED MORNING IF THIS IS AN ALL FREEZING RAIN EVENT THROUGH 9 AM WED. ALL CELL PHONES ETC SHOULD BE FULLY CHARGED. COULD BE SEVERAL HOURS WITHOUT POWER TOMORROW WHERE EVER GLAZE EXCEEDS 1/2 INCH.

Also, did you see my edit?

Didn't see Mt. Holly's "line of death" but glad to see it matches up with the one I just came up with ;)

Just saw your edit in the reply Noreaster07 gave.. see below.

go to branch of tree, look for branches that have even amount of ice accumulation, measure in tenths of an inch

Well.. branches are tricky in that they can glaze on both sides, making it look possibly worse than reality. You'd want to measure the maximum radius of icing on a branch, not the maximum diameter. A flat surface like a picnic table or top of a deck may be better. Or a snowboard of course ;)

I wouldn't say *much better*. Maybe *slightly better*. Of course it depends on exactly what temps are like as the heavy precip moves in, too.

Warminster has some pretty decent elevation, I know at the former Johnsville airfield (Street / Jacksonville) your 375' so you are really going to be close but probably eek out 33-34.

Sorry, but I need to poke a little fun here ;)

it will be intertesting to see how this works out. I have to leave for work at around 5:30 AM. As farmer pointed out, precip rate could be decent and this could affect what actually feezes.

I do like to garden, but I don't think I can consider myself a farmer :lol:

Temps around around 26 F in the area currently. Not sure if we fall anyfurther before the event begins.

Where I work in southern Bergen County, we had some decent freezing rain and sleet in this morning. I was scrapping my car

I'm sorry you felt you needed to scrap your car due to the icing :lol:

OK, back to regular posts ;)

Think vertical mxg will jhave negligible impact PHL northward due to dense cold air trapped blo in version... i think the way to warm phl is turn the wind east and pull it in from the sst. max pres falls w new wave developemnt in del bay 12z wed... bad news for e wind PHL i think...limited experience with this in PHI area but pres fall centers and or pres fall-rise couplets are pretty good guides on wind deviating from geostrophic norm. wd

You are correct Walt about PHL and the warming wind direction. The surface wind in a cold air damming setup must turn east and especially southeast to erode the shallow cold layer.

Earlier in the thread the RR and the HRRR were posted, these are two separate mesoscale models if I am not mistaken?

I wanted to ask a met out there whether the guidance now suggests that there will be less or little sleet and more freezing rain for this event for our forecast area, north of PHL. I know in the discussion, there was mention of potentially more sleet, or at this point is it just a nowcast, see what falls situation?

Archived