12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29 degrees now in Media, PA. Down 1 degree in the last hour. Cars starting to freeze again after today's late PM melt.

Winds out of the East at 5MPH. Seeming to wobble and shift to the NE from time to time after being out of the SE.

Could the cold air seepage from Central Jerz be headed our way --- and most importantly --- prior to the major precip...

Temp continues to slide here in NW Chester County

Currently

Freezing Fog

RH 94%

DP 24.5

Wind NNE 3 gusts to 5mph

Snow depth 16.0"

Latest Wxsim forecast with 18z....not pretty

0.95" of qpf falls by 830am in the morning...when temps are forecasted to rise above freezing

Wxsim indicates temps will fall for about 1 more hour to around 25.6 and then begin to rise

Paul, I'm at 25.4 and still dropping. We're now in Wes's ice storm zone.

27 degrees at PTW; earlier precip probably isn't good for icing. Could increase the danger.

I think this is a great point and ask Pro Mets to chime in...please!

Does the glaze from round 1 decrease the amount of latent heat released from initial heavy precip tonite, therefore increasing totals?? There is already a nice glaze/heavy rime from about Skippack, N and W.

Just slipped to 24 now in NW Montco, winds NNE at 3-5, barometer steady.

Lost power once already here in Northern DE but I live in a heavily wooded neighborhood and lose power all the time so who knows. Temp I think is slightly under 32 and has been for a while. All the ice we had this a.m. melted during the day but has now refrozen again. I am doubtful it will get cold enough here to really get heavy icing if the rain comes hard enough. I will be thankful for that hopefully.

Good luck to everybody north of Reading in PA because it just sounds like its going to get nasty up there.

looking at that radar, looks like eta around 11-12?

Would agree Tombo. Despite it being a multiple hour radar, it's moving. I think the key to that in our area is how much precip falls before we rise above freezing. The faster it gets here, we're all already below freezing and I get the sense the timing could be bad for Delco and PHL and an Ice Storm Warning extension might not be a bad idea at this point.

I've been watching temps and wind closely and it's shifting to the E or NE with the temp down a degree or two already. Thing is, there seems JUST enough time to get to about 26 or 27 here just N and W of PHL and that's the 'danger zone'.

Just my $.02.

Btw --- thanks for all the pbp on the Euro. You're a household name here!

Would agree Tombo. Despite it being a multiple hour radar, it's moving. I think the key to that in our area is how much precip falls before we rise above freezing. The faster it gets here, we're all already below freezing and I get the sense the timing could be bad for Delco and PHL and an Ice Storm Warning extension might not be a bad idea at this point.

I've been watching temps and wind closely and it's shifting to the E or NE with the temp down a degree or two already. Thing is, there seems JUST enough time to get to about 26 or 27 here just N and W of PHL and that's the 'danger zone'.

Just my $.02.

Btw --- thanks for all the pbp on the Euro. You're a household name here!

no problem man, i enjoy doing the pbp for everyone. Temp down to 29.6 here down a degree in the past half hour....

has anyone ever noticed that weatherbur runs way to cold, or maybe its just a select few stations.

no problem man, i enjoy doing the pbp for everyone. Temp down to 29.6 here down a degree in the past half hour....

has anyone ever noticed that weatherbur runs way to cold, or maybe its just a select few stations.

Yup. Which is the opposite of what it says to the left of my comment, cuz it isn't 32 in Media!

There are 2 weatherbug stations within a mile of me. One of them is very accurate but one consistently runs a degree or two too cold. Surprisingly, they both agree on a temp of 21.5 right now.

Archived