northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 31-February 2 MAJOR Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am impressed with NCEP handlement so far, especially the NAM, but the GFS has been improving each run. They show a fairly congruement upper level feature unlike the foreign models which have crap all over the place. The GGEM lost it mind and the Euro left enough energy behind for a Star Trek Convention.

I agree--the CMC looks bad. It typically has issues with certain wave patterns--and the way the shortwave just "disintegrates" in the plains looks unrealistic. The CMC also stinks with low amplitude waves across the intermountain W in fast westerly flow. It looks like it is doing similar things here.

Baroclinic do you think that the NAM overdoing it considerable witht he WAA snows in southern MN?

I will have to take a look at that--these frontogenesis events can be tricky under certain circumstances--and the overall height field configuration is key. That said--frontal banding will likely contribute to heavier bands--but perhaps not as wet over a large area like the NAM has. Disregard the QPF amounts--but the fluff will still add up rather fast in stronger bursts of frontogenesis. But let me look later and I will have a better answer--right now I am interested in what the NAM does farther S on this run.

HPC afternoon update.

...AFTERNOON UPDATE...

NEW 12Z GFS IS MORE PROGRESSIVE WITH THE MID LEVEL TROF AFTER DAY

4 WED THAN PRIOR RUNS AND OTHER MODELS AND ITS ENS MEAN. 12Z

CMC/UKMET AND ENS MEANS REMAIN PREFERRED. NO CHANGES TO AFTERNOON

FINALS FROM PRIOR HPC PRELIM PROGS.

EXPECT A BROAD HEAVY SNOW SWATH FROM THE CENTRAL PLAINS EAST AND

NORTHEAST NORTH OF THE OH RIVER AND MASON DIXON LINE TUESDAY INTO

WEDNESDAY WITH VERY FAVORABLE UPPER LEVEL JET COUPLING. HEAVY

RAINS SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE LOWER MS AND TN VALLEYS TUESDAY AND

WEDNESDAY.

Archived