Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 31-February 2 MAJOR Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-590-0-15047300-1296330639.jpg

South of I-70 I hate to say it but I'd have the ice storm survival kit ready, IE bread, milk, generators, canned goods, a manual can opener, bottled water, have the vehicles full of gas, it does NOT look good right now...

I'm going with a blend of all the models on this one, I think that power outages looks likely if this is ZR, especially parts of the STL metro especially SE sides of the metro area, also other cities such as Effingham, Indy, Terre Haute, Bloomington, Mt Vernon,

Once you get north of I-70 it starts to become a big snowmaker, and these numbers I just put in as an idea, but i wouldn't be shocked to see places end up with 10-15" OR more,but it's too soon to nail numbers down like that...

This is the storm of the season IMO.

Hi-res models should have a much better handle on the upper level features etc with this system. That's why I am leaning towards the EURO/NAM/SREF's etc more so then the GFS/GEM/UKIE.

This will be a strong low, I would say sub 995 somewhere near where the EURO/NAM show. Give or take 30-35 miles on either side of that track.

post-590-0-15047300-1296330639.jpg

South of I-70 I hate to say it but I'd have the ice storm survival kit ready, IE bread, milk, generators, canned goods, a manual can opener, bottled water, have the vehicles full of gas, it does NOT look good right now...

I'm going with a blend of all the models on this one, I think that power outages looks likely if this is ZR, especially parts of the STL metro especially SE sides of the metro area, also other cities such as Effingham, Indy, Terre Haute, Bloomington, Mt Vernon,

Once you get north of I-70 it starts to become a big snowmaker, and these numbers I just put in as an idea, but i wouldn't be shocked to see places end up with 10-15" OR more,but it's too soon to nail numbers down like that...

This is the storm of the season IMO.

ORD from 1 inch to 1.95 inches and 3-6 inches of snow????

Okay good, that is what I thought.

Surface temps usually jump a couple of degrees due to the latent heat release of freezing during heavy rates. Optimum ice accretion rates occur when you are at or below 30F, above that and some of it will run-off. If you start in the low to mid 20s though... watch out. One thing that worries me in this case is the strong, deep fetch of cold, dry parcels coming from that stationary surface ridge north of the storm. This is a perfect setup for sustained heavy icing.

The ETA members in the SREF drag it down in general. It's a relatively terrible model compared to the other 3 in that suite.

I just glanced at the amped NAM. First thought is the QPF even with convection is too high over that broad of an area. My thoughts yesterday were the non-hydro models under this setup would have an edge in intensification and deepening rate of the surface low. What do you think? I see 12Z NAM is going gangbusters and is continuing to rapidly intensify.

Surface temps usually jump a couple of degrees due to the latent heat release of freezing during heavy rates. Optimum ice accretion rates occur when you are at or below 30F, above that and some of it will run-off. If you start in the low to mid 20s though... watch out. One thing that worries me in this case is the strong, deep fetch of cold, dry parcels coming from that stationary surface ridge north of the storm. This is a perfect setup for sustained heavy icing.

Surface temps look to start out around 29 and warm to 31-33 per the GFS, so right on the cusp. I'm just hoping the fact that the significant precip occurs with temps near or just over 30F combined with heavy rates cuts down a bit. BUFKIT has 1.77" of ice before getting 33F for KCVG :axe: Similar setup at CMHbut more sleet.

Seems like we have been tracking this storm forever. Still not even inside 84hrs yet. What scary changes will be in store by the Tuesday 12z time? I can only imagine.

we're def inside 84 hours for the part that is really crucial being the handling of cyclone development once things exit the rockies.

I just glanced at the amped NAM. First thought is the QPF even with convection is too high over that broad of an area. My thoughts yesterday were the non-hydro models under this setup would have an edge in intensification and deepening rate of the surface low. What do you think? I see 12Z NAM is going gangbusters and is continuing to rapidly intensify.

Basically agree with the bolded. The QPF is probably too high, but given we have a hydrostatic model that agrees with it (Euro), and that certainly brings up a few questions. The higher-res models (especially the non-hydrostatic ones) seem to be forming one camp, while the lower-res are in a somewhat different camp. The quality moisture and heat return ahead of this system (PWATs around 1.5" near the surface low), extreme temperature gradient, and negative tilt trough argue for high quality deep feedback-type cyclogenesis. Jet structure also pretty darn good. All of these factors favor the non-hydrostatic model heavily in this case. If this storm didn't have so many favorable factors going for it, it might be a different story.

Archived