Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 31-February 2 Major Winter Storm part 3

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol...

you have to understand...since we are the southeastern most zone of our region, we are outnumbered severely by those rooting for nw or a gfs hold. I gotta do what i gotta do...and if it means pulling the nocraps out of my asss, i will

it's all good. :snowman:

its a tough dilemma you are in

stuck between the MW and the MA.

at least i can fit in without causing too much of a scene.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being all out apocalypse, where are you right now?

The sheer projected size and the southern extent of the ejecting wave will cover such a large area. It is pretty high (the rating) for this time period 4 days out. A solid 7, but that is mostly because a lot needs to be cleared up. Most widespread threat in a long time--definitely this winter. Track remains an issue--but this won't be fizzling out like other threats.

I'm out with the wife and am killing time while she shops for shoes. Anyway anyone check the analogs? CWIPS?

Posted from my Incredible HTC Droid.

All central domain ranks.

At 96 hours: http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/stats.php?reg=CENT&model=GFS212&fhr=096&flg=new

1) 2/22/1994

2) 2/13/2007

3) 2/15/1987

4) 3/7/1998

5) 3/1/1994

At 120 hours: http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/stats.php?reg=CENT&model=GFS212&fhr=120&flg=new

1) 2/16/1993

2) 1/3/1996

3) 1/31/1982

4) 2/13/2007

5) 2/16/2003

When I left work a few hours ago, HPC was riding the GEFS for their forecast. Taking a look at that, as an example there are a few things of note.

Placement of the high pressure: North and west of the developing system (not north and east). This will limit the amount of dry air feeding into the warm advection wing precipitation, so the northern extent of precip won't be as sharp.

Ensemble spread: The ensembles have a fairly large spread to the north and west of the low track. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the op come northwest.

Standardized anomalies: At 850 both the U (east/west) and V (north/south) anomalies were impressive. The 18z GEFS had a -3 to -4 sigma U anomaly and a 3 to 4 sigma V anomaly. Assuming a bell curve distribution (not always meteorologically accurate, but close enough) 3 sigmas should encompass 99.7% of the outcomes. So these are significant anomalies. The positive V means a stronger south wind (think Gulf moisture transport), and the negative U is a stronger east wind (think cold conveyor, def band). So wherever this system goes it will have plenty of moisture to work with, and an impressive deformation band.

I wasn't trying to diss you guys in the OH area or anything. I just find it funny how the MW posters are rooting hard for a NW trend, while it's the opposite for you guys.

Someone is gonna be dissapointed in the end though.

yup...nature of the beast. WTOD is always a real issue in these setups for ohio. I still haven't seen anything that makes me ready to jump off my idea that it trends either weaker and thus further south or blows up west of us.

The fact that this is the first threat with a true arctic push coming down from the northern plains is what makes me leary of anything being able to crawl too far north unless it's really strong. Im leary of these depictions of a 1004+ low bullying north with the 850 0 line. The gfs takes a 1008 low and drives it north to 1004 into central OH. just seems crazy aggressive for the strength of the low and lack of ridging out ahead.

but who knows for sure...def not me ;)

When I left work a few hours ago, HPC was riding the GEFS for their forecast. Taking a look at that, as an example there are a few things of note.

Placement of the high pressure: North and west of the developing system (not north and east). This will limit the amount of dry air feeding into the warm advection wing precipitation, so the northern extent of precip won't be as sharp.

Ensemble spread: The ensembles have a fairly large spread to the north and west of the low track. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the op come northwest.

Standardized anomalies: At 850 both the U (east/west) and V (north/south) anomalies were impressive. The 18z GEFS had a -3 to -4 sigma U anomaly and a 3 to 4 sigma V anomaly. Assuming a bell curve distribution (not always meteorologically accurate, but close enough) 3 sigmas should encompass 99.7% of the outcomes. So these are significant anomalies. The positive V means a stronger south wind (think Gulf moisture transport), and the negative U is a stronger east wind (think cold conveyor, def band). So wherever this system goes it will have plenty of moisture to work with, and an impressive deformation band.

thanks for checking in, appreciate the thoughts.

True--but this is only considering what the GFS data assimilation system is ingesting and the outcomes it develops out of that data.

nice stuff!

Archived