• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 31-February 2 Major Winter Storm part 3

Hoosier

This thread is living proof that we need forum subsets like they have over in the NYC/PHILLY side of the board. Me thinks that this storm will be a major threat for much of the midwest/ohio valley, but its way to early to lock in on a more specific area. I would hope that we can stop focusing on IMBY as this makes the thread very hard to read.

Made one before I even read this.. there is one for the OV now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this and as I stated yesterday the energy that was diving SE off the "tail" of the Aleutians low which was heading for the Vancover low was completely missed yet was decently well defined and the jet was very much so. I haven't checked yet but if it did finally catch/get absorbed into the Vancover low making it stronger the models have just barely caught onto this in all likelihood so there are still plenty of things to watch for. I think what may happen is the system may be deeper dump more than currently forecast but it just depends how things play out obviously.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:I am in weenie mode.

I know a good deal about S. Plains weather, but when it comes to "clippers" and OV weather I'm not too familiar. Would a slower/deeper/stronger/phased solution more than likely shift this baby mainly N of OK? Does the southern/northern route debate occur after this thing has done it's thing in OK? :unsure:

Looks like Paducah is going to have their handfuls. Their northern areas look like they are going to be dealing with a heavy ice/snowstorm potential. Then to their south, it's look like the ice/snow potential is going to have a sharp cutoff. I'm in one of their southernmost counties and it looks like were are one or 2 counties away from having heavy freezing rain. At this point, I think I want to have this bad boy move north unless there is a huge swing south otherwise I don't want another major ice-storm.

I know a good deal about S. Plains weather, but when it comes to "clippers" and OV weather I'm not too familiar. Would a slower/deeper/stronger/phased solution more than likely shift this baby mainly N of OK? Does the southern/northern route debate occur after this thing has done it's thing in OK? :unsure:

It could shift it N of OK but what would more likely happen is a deeper system would still eject NE to the southeast of you....the stronger solution for you would allow more precip and at a heavier rate in the deformation zone especially as the baroclinic leaf structure develops. Also a stronger system would likely dump more warm air aloft into your region so with the developing trowal setup you may develop some CSI enhancing your chance for convective snow as the trowal would substantially decrease your static stability.

It could shift it N of OK but what would more likely happen is a deeper system would still eject NE to the southeast of you....the stronger solution for you would allow more precip and at a heavier rate in the deformation zone especially as the baroclinic leaf structure develops. Also a stronger system would likely dump more warm air aloft into your region so with the developing trowal setup you may develop some CSI enhancing your chance for convective snow as the trowal would substantially decrease your static stability.

...or ice 0_o

I wouldn't worry about warm air on this, the baroclinic zone will tighten, and if you look from 42 to 60hr the 0C line doesn't move at all, except in Kansas where it moves Southward, not Northward.

we've got some wiggle room, but the plains cyclogensis hasn't even gotten going yet to really crank up the WAA machine, we might need all we can get.

0z NAM really sharpening the SW-NE baro zone.

0z NAM running warm :yikes:

That is my biggest worry with this system. I keep watching, reading and looking, and so far, none of the models have shown much in the way of temp increases. I keep waiting for the run that is going to show either a warm shot at the surface, or the upper levels that can hurt the snow chances.

Archived