northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 31-February 2 Major Winter Storm part 3

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at 78 it appears things are starting to cool down and the freeze line is moving south, winds are starting to come out of the ENE as the surface low breaks out.

looks like it takes the Surface low way south by 81 in ESE Texas?

cold air is funneling in at all levels...faster closer to the surface.

Yeah and okie makes a good point that there could be some ice but I think this thing will eject out of Texas southwest of Shreveport, LA so I think OK will be cold enough for snow for precip type. I haven't looked at any soundings yet.

Yeah and okie makes a good point that there could be some ice but I think this thing will eject out of Texas southwest of Shreveport, LA so I think OK will be cold enough for frozen precip. I haven't looked at any soundings yet.

Sound like a track upwards to the Indy/Ohio border or so...then probably junted more east pending how the energy pans out.

From south central OK to SPG, STL, INDY would be a major ICE storm.

NAM seems a lot more ambitious with the overrunning ahead of the main storm. Don't recall QPF like that on any of the other models.

That band is ahead of the main system? Phew

Anyway, baroclinic zone is VERY strong on this run... would not be surprised at all to see it bomb out an SLP and cut NNE...or at the very least produce a huge deformation zone to the NW of the mod-heavy precip (ice) band that you say is ahead of the main storm.

this thing is already looking gorgeous...can't wait for the 12z run.

post-266-0-70899800-1296269963.gif

going to ride up the baroclinic zone..

post-266-0-91359200-1296269979.gif

yeah it mabe nice on 12z but by 12z Sunday this thing might have rain/snow near Chicago.

This thing looks like its trying to carve out a western trough here and send up a big fat SE ridge up into Grand Rapids in 5-to 6 runs when it explodes and buckles up and rapidly deepens as it passes AR/MO.

Sound like a track upwards to the Indy/Ohio border or so...then probably junted more east pending how the energy pans out.

From south central OK to SPG, STL, INDY would be a major ICE storm.

My "gut" says something like a Shreveport, LA to Cinci to Erie line....either there or a SE OK to Evansville to Toledo line.

this thing is already looking gorgeous...can't wait for the 12z run.

going to ride up the baroclinic zone..

It's a truley intense run in terms of potential. We throw around epic storm comparisons a lot, but to end up on the right side of something like this really will be one for the ages. This one is going to break some hearts along the way no doubt. The potential of long duration WAA snows followed by an intense low with gulf connection riding a tight baro zone is so tantilizing.

Archived