• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2 Major Winter Storm part 3

Hoosier

I don't think i've ever felt better about an event 84hrs out, not just because we're sitting good, but because the potential prize looks EPIC.

I'm saving this post for when you make your 2-4 inch call on Monday evening after 00Z NAM comes out and your first nowcast states totals will be cut due to gulf inflow robbing moisture transport :banned:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ratios are complicated and yeah it's probably too early. I'll say that someone who is in the heart of the defo/trowal and sees some convective snows will see ratios well in excess of 15:1 for a period during the heart of the storm.

Those high winds will shatter dendrites, so I'm not sure I'd go that high. Would probably be a lot of drifting anyways, makes it very tough to measure.

ratios are complicated and yeah it's probably too early. I'll say that someone who is in the heart of the defo/trowal and sees some convective snows will see ratios well in excess of 15:1 for a period during the heart of the storm.

Good question. The heaviest snows will probably lay out just northwest of where the transition zone pivots. 12-15:1 sounds pretty reasonable, but since there's going to be some wind with this I think the ratios will be tempered a little lower than you'd expect. Should make for a fairly dense snowpack though.

gfs gives me 2 feet of snow..

2 freaking feet...WOW

Yeah, and this is making me think about getting milk and bread today just in case it pans out. Seriously, I don't even have a PLAN for what I would do in 24" of snow. Break out the snowmobiles and snowshoes. Plan on staying home a full week at least.

The other side of the equation is that you have to make sure the models aren't overdoing the QPF.

Those high winds will shatter dendrites, so I'm not sure I'd go that high. Would probably be a lot of drifting anyways, makes it very tough to measure.

we have had ratios well over 20:1 in wind driven lake enhanced defo bands before, so i don't think it's hard to fathom. Again this is putting the cart before the horse.

Anyone been through an ice storm with an inch or more accumulation. Most I have seen is 1/2". I can't imagine what it would look like with that much ice!

It's terrible. Trim your trees now and make sure there are no limbs near power lines.

You sound more confident than I am.

I'm not saying an epic blizzard is likely, i just like where we are now. I've laid out my concerns a few pages back.

I'm saving this post for when you make your 2-4 inch call on Monday evening after 00Z NAM comes out and your first nowcast states totals will be cut due to gulf inflow robbing moisture transport :banned:

I may very well storm cancel, but i can promise it won't be for lack of moisture ;)

Archived