• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA Late January Thread Part III

Rick G

Read in the PHL/NYC thread that the higher your elevation in this setup, the more likely it will be rain because it's LL cold.

Yes that's true. In this setup, the valleys will definitely hold onto the cold air longer and will have more significant icing. Also for those along the N. PA border, the 850 freezing line holds for quite some time on the 15z SREFs, so overrunning snow could really pile up before any changeover.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15z SREFs show a devastating ice storm in the making for the central 2/3rds of PA (going north/south). Over 1" of precip in some areas in 24hrs, and the surface below freezing....

The mean freezing line gets to the Turnpike and just stops - even looks like it moves back south later Tuesday night.

The mean freezing line gets to the Turnpike and just stops - even looks like it moves back south later Tuesday night.

If we stay all snow I will be completely happy, usually in these situations, north of cameron county stays all snow and a brief change over at the very end. You really think some areas will recieve 1" of ZR? yikes!

Wow we may just get to the WWA criteria, we are sitting at 2.2" of snow and still coming down moderately with big flakes, temp at 28.1°F

Same here man, this has been an extremely impressive snowfall, big flakes coming down good for a few hrs at various intensities. We are at 2 inches for the day and the total snow on the ground right now that I just measured is 7.5 inches in my yard. Im happy, maybe we can get some more before the ice moves in Wed.

Same here man, this has been an extremely impressive snowfall, big flakes coming down good for a few hrs at various intensities. We are at 2 inches for the day and the total snow on the ground right now that I just measured is 7.5 inches in my yard. Im happy, maybe we can get some more before the ice moves in Wed.

Yeah I know what you mean, this storm has been impressive, I'm hoping I can finish with 3-4" like NWS issued. The back edge of the precip field is fastly approaching, maybe another hours worth. Our snow depth is 10-11" . I'm really hoping we can excape the ice threat but its looking dicey

The EURO, GGEM GFS has the over running over most of PA while the nam is mainly northern. Strange.

The 15z SREF's also have the highest snowfall probs focused along and north of the I-80 corridor, with northern PA maxed out with 90-100% probs of an inch plus and high probs of 4+. There's the usual dip in central PA where theres some decent probs of an inch plus and low probs of 4+.

I mentioned this really early this morning over in the Philly thread after the 6z nam had featured a very robust overrunning from the steep temp gradient. What I said was that the positioning of the primary axis of this initial overrunning snow potential is likely going to tip off where the most snow/ice occurs with the storm system itself. Given the current forecast track by most models, the SREF placement of snow probs is probably the more correct.. which to me would suggest a longer term significant snowfall for northern PA while central PA sees moderate snowfall yield to some kind of wintry mix. I think most of true central PA north of the turnpike probably never sees the temps above freezing until most of the event is over considering the high and snowpack (and probably new snowfall prior to the low approach), so am concerned about ice. If the cold air supplied by the high pressure makes a better press into PA then we will see this axis include most of PA, and that could also implicate a low track a hair further southeast and more snow for the mixing zones. Lots of uncertainty with the precip scenarios for sure, but this is looking like a really messy and disruptive one.

I just dont get how this storm just charges straight at the HP and moves it out of the way like a toy car, you think it would force it to stay to the south at 1032MB but oh well :arrowhead:

I think this storm will definitely be warmer than the most recent event but I doubt it will be the ice to rain storm shown on the 18z GFS and Euro. Even for down my way. I

Well guys this is my second call for the storm. Seeming I guess this storm wants to cut further into the lakes than I previously thought. ALL areas in PA eventually change over to sleet or ZR cutting down snow totals even for my area :( . Hopefully I'm wrong and the models come in further to the SE and colder or root for a quicker transfer to the coast. Regardless CAD will be in full effect since we do have a 1032MB HP to the north or Michigan modeled, which means its going to be hard to change the areas that recieve icy weather completely over to plain rain north of I-80.

post-585-0-32396400-1296348969.gif

Not real interested in this storm anymore...should be a quick 1-2 inches of snow, then a little sleet, the to rain and 37-40 degrees...no biggie.:arrowhead:

Either they're too far south and east, or a tight gradient sets up, or it's a cutter. No matter what, it just isn't our winter to see a blockbuster snowstorm. At least not up to this point. We may make it to average before all is said and done, but it seems like were going to have to nickel and dime our way to get there.

Archived