12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA Late January Thread Part III

Rick G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well unfortunately with this storm I think its going to give areas of southern PA a messy storm, while areas that normally do good in these situations north of I-80 might be ok. Its tough because I can see this map having to shift more to the NW if this storm does decide to cut in the Lakes, but as I see it now this is my first call. I don't make maps very often, but feel free to give me some feedback, negative or good :snowman:

not to be critical but the way you have the low going i dont see it as either apps or cutter.

not to be critical but the way you have the low going i dont see it as either apps or cutter.

yeah its poorly drawn, I'm thinkin it tries to cut just up the western side, then transfer to the coast, but I really don't know at this point just an educated guess, but whats your opinion on the storm? I thnk this storm might be an inbetweener for apps and cutter

regardless i would take your scenario if it played out that way.

Do you remember how alot of the storms progressed the last two years with most areas above I-80 saw good snow while others suffered, this storm may do that based on the teleconnections and lack of blocking. The one thing I think that saves the area is the -EPO, I'm afraid though with the lack of HP in the Great lakes this sucker tries to over phase and cut way to the west through the Ohio valley :(

Do you remember how alot of the storms progressed the last two years with most areas above I-80 saw good snow while others suffered, this storm may do that based on the teleconnections and lack of blocking. The one thing I think that saves the area is the -EPO, I'm afraid though with the lack of HP in the Great lakes this sucker tries to over phase and cut way to the west through the Ohio valley :(

i can only remember 1 good storm last year 11 inches(the feb storm).

the rest were minor.

but i dont have the memory of some on here...everything seems to blur together when i think back.

but i do know we have not had a storm of 12+ in a looooong time here.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

136 PM EST FRI JAN 28 2011

VALID 12Z MON JAN 31 2011 - 12Z FRI FEB 04 2011

...MAJOR WINTER STORM SETTING UP NEXT WEEK FROM THE ROCKIES TO THE NORTHEAST...

UPDATED MORNING PRELIMS USE A MULTIMODEL BLEND OF 00Z GFS/ECMWF/CMC/UKMET/GFS ENS MEAN. THE RESULT IS NEARLY IDENTICAL TO THE EARLIER USED SOLUTION.

12Z MODEL GUIDANCE FOLLOWS CONTINUITY AND A COMPOSITE OF THE RUNS WOULD CONTINUE TO YIELD THE BLENDED SOLUTION OF HPC. NO CHANGES FOR AFTERNOON FINALS.

AS SHORTWAVE ENERGY MOVES INTO THE FOUR CORNERS REGION EARLY TUESDAY AND ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE PLUNGES DEEP INTO THE PLAINS WITH GREATER THAN 20 DEGREE NEGATIVE TEMPERATURE ANOMALIES. THIS WILL

BRING STRONG UPSLOPE FLOW INTO THE CO ROCKIES FRONT RANGE WITH MDT/HVY SNOWFALL TO THE SRN ROCKIES SPREADING EWD INTO THE CENTRAL PLAINS. MID LEVEL ENERGY SHEARS OUT EWD AND A MDT SFC LOW DEVELOPS

OVER ERN TX BY TUESDAY. THIS LOW MOVES NEWD INTO KY/TN WED AND REFORMS OFF THE MID ATLC CAPES AND RAPIDLY MOVES NEWD OFF NOVA SCOTIA BY THURSDAY. MDT TO HVY RAINFALL POTENTIAL SOUTH OF THE LOW

PRESSURE TRACK WITH SNOW ACROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS AND MAINLY NORTH OF THE OH RIVER AND MASON DIXON LINE INTO NEW ENG. HEAVY SNOW THREAT INDICATED BY OPERATIONAL MODELS QPF OUTPUT/ANALOGS AND FAVORABLE MID AND UPPER LEVEL JET STRUCTURE WITH ICING THREAT ALONG THE CHANGE OVER AND THEN THE DAMMED IN AREA IN THE MID ATLC PIEDMONT.

PACIFIC RECON FLIGHTS REQUESTED INTO THE CRITICAL UNCERTAINTY AREA AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM IN THE NE PACIFIC. IF A FLIGHT IS AVAILABLE THIS DATA COULD GET INTO THE MODEL SYSTEMS BY THE RUNS OF SUNDAY 00Z/12Z 30 JAN.

RAUSCH / ROSENSTEIN

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdepd.html

post-538-0-59453200-1296247130.gif

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

136 PM EST FRI JAN 28 2011

VALID 12Z MON JAN 31 2011 - 12Z FRI FEB 04 2011

...MAJOR WINTER STORM SETTING UP NEXT WEEK FROM THE ROCKIES TO THE NORTHEAST...

UPDATED MORNING PRELIMS USE A MULTIMODEL BLEND OF 00Z GFS/ECMWF/CMC/UKMET/GFS ENS MEAN. THE RESULT IS NEARLY IDENTICAL TO THE EARLIER USED SOLUTION.

12Z MODEL GUIDANCE FOLLOWS CONTINUITY AND A COMPOSITE OF THE RUNS WOULD CONTINUE TO YIELD THE BLENDED SOLUTION OF HPC. NO CHANGES FOR AFTERNOON FINALS.

AS SHORTWAVE ENERGY MOVES INTO THE FOUR CORNERS REGION EARLY TUESDAY AND ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE PLUNGES DEEP INTO THE PLAINS WITH GREATER THAN 20 DEGREE NEGATIVE TEMPERATURE ANOMALIES. THIS WILL

BRING STRONG UPSLOPE FLOW INTO THE CO ROCKIES FRONT RANGE WITH MDT/HVY SNOWFALL TO THE SRN ROCKIES SPREADING EWD INTO THE CENTRAL PLAINS. MID LEVEL ENERGY SHEARS OUT EWD AND A MDT SFC LOW DEVELOPS

OVER ERN TX BY TUESDAY. THIS LOW MOVES NEWD INTO KY/TN WED AND REFORMS OFF THE MID ATLC CAPES AND RAPIDLY MOVES NEWD OFF NOVA SCOTIA BY THURSDAY. MDT TO HVY RAINFALL POTENTIAL SOUTH OF THE LOW

PRESSURE TRACK WITH SNOW ACROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS AND MAINLY NORTH OF THE OH RIVER AND MASON DIXON LINE INTO NEW ENG. HEAVY SNOW THREAT INDICATED BY OPERATIONAL MODELS QPF OUTPUT/ANALOGS AND FAVORABLE MID AND UPPER LEVEL JET STRUCTURE WITH ICING THREAT ALONG THE CHANGE OVER AND THEN THE DAMMED IN AREA IN THE MID ATLC PIEDMONT.

PACIFIC RECON FLIGHTS REQUESTED INTO THE CRITICAL UNCERTAINTY AREA AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM IN THE NE PACIFIC. IF A FLIGHT IS AVAILABLE THIS DATA COULD GET INTO THE MODEL SYSTEMS BY THE RUNS OF SUNDAY 00Z/12Z 30 JAN.

RAUSCH / ROSENSTEIN

http://www.hpc.ncep....ons/pmdepd.html

post-538-0-59453200-1296247130.gif

that looks / sounds too good for this far out.

to be in the sweet spot4/5 days out is never good the way the models are.

i can only remember 1 good storm last year 11 inches(the feb storm).

the rest were minor.

but i dont have the memory of some on here...everything seems to blur together when i think back.

but i do know we have not had a storm of 12+ in a looooong time here.

well maybe not last year because it was a mid atlantic winter, but the last few before that where we were wooried about that dreded SE ridge where it forced the darn storms north, and alot of the times we had no HP to the north, but yeah its def been a longggg time since this area in pa has seen a 12"+ storm

here's a snippet of Eric Host's discussion this afternoon... I'll let ya'll stew on it.

"Canadian high pressure will then take control Sunday into Monday with unseasonably cool conditions. That will set the stage for a complex southern storm Tuesday night into Wednesday. While it will be a few days before we can dial in details, the pattern should dictate an initial track to our west (up the Ohio Valley), but then a jump to the northern Mid-Atlantic coast. With lots of cold air and snow cover over the Northeast, this may pan out as a significant snow-to-ice storm across our area. Check back for more details over the weekend. "

here's a snippet of Eric Host's discussion this afternoon... I'll let ya'll stew on it.

"Canadian high pressure will then take control Sunday into Monday with unseasonably cool conditions. That will set the stage for a complex southern storm Tuesday night into Wednesday. While it will be a few days before we can dial in details, the pattern should dictate an initial track to our west (up the Ohio Valley), but then a jump to the northern Mid-Atlantic coast. With lots of cold air and snow cover over the Northeast, this may pan out as a significant snow-to-ice storm across our area. Check back for more details over the weekend. "

This has the potential to be a big snow-to-ice event. There's plenty of cold and snow to our north and this system will have some juice. If we can keep the phasing to a minimum before it reaches the apps, this could be something.

well maybe not last year because it was a mid atlantic winter, but the last few before that where we were wooried about that dreded SE ridge where it forced the darn storms north, and alot of the times we had no HP to the north, but yeah its def been a longggg time since this area in pa has seen a 12"+ storm

Feb 2007 - let's get you another.

Edit: actually, the "forgotten snowstorm" could also be considered close - March 16, 2007.

According to this: http://d07.knitmeter.com/display/id/7201/period/thisyear/bgcolor/ffffff/textcolor/0000CC/bordercolor/990099.png Snowfalls of 9.5, 11, and 15 were recorded.

Feb 2007 - let's get you another.

Edit: actually, the "forgotten snowstorm" could also be considered close - March 16, 2007.

According to this: http://d07.knitmeter...olor/990099.png Snowfalls of 9.5, 11, and 15 were recorded.

Thanks Jamie, hopefully we can get it, if not well i guess i can wait longer :popcorn: ...but I would be more than willing to share will the rest of my Pa friends :thumbsup: lets just hope you guys stay out of the dreded ice threat, nobody likes dealing with that mess.

Thanks Jamie, hopefully we can get it, if not well i guess i can wait longer :popcorn: ...but I would be more than willing to share will the rest of my Pa friends :thumbsup: lets just hope you guys stay out of the dreded ice threat, nobody likes dealing with that mess.

Yeah, man, two winters ago was enough ice for me.

That's a cool site to browse, btw. All the past storms.

Archived