12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA Late January Thread Part III

Rick G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My condolences go out to you Jamie and Sauss for your losses! Nothing worse than losing a family member, 40 is super young to have a heart attack, but as strange as it maybe my buddy had a heart attack at the age of 26 in the marines, had to come home lucky they revived him. seems like more and more people are having heart attacks the younger they are. Back on topic, this storm still looks perfect for most of PA with .75-1" of QPF, southern areas of PA have to watch for a bad icing event. I'm still worried this thing may cut further into the lakes than modeled currently, hopefully the track stays put.

Not to mention we just had 2 people die recently from a local college bout 20 minutes away, they were both 21 and 22 and died from heart attacks from that stupid drink four loco! My buddy above had a heart attack unrelated to energy drinks

Howdy all- first off sorry to read about the recent losses among the forum gang. Also, I put myself on AWx quarantine so I could get something accomplished at work, but what's the timing on this next week threat? I have something important in Lancaster Monday night, and don't need some sloppy mess ruining it!

Howdy all- first off sorry to read about the recent losses among the forum gang. Also, I put myself on AWx quarantine so I could get something accomplished at work, but what's the timing on this next week threat? I have something important in Lancaster Monday night, and don't need some sloppy mess ruining it!

From what I can tell it looks like it is gonna start Wednesday afternoon.

The things I'll be watching over the coming days with this storm:

The southern branch energy will need to get out of the SW US relatively quickly. If it doesn't, it will phase with the northern branch energy coming down from the Rockies (like the Euro has been showing) and likely come up to the west, giving us a mix and rain. The thing that will prevent this from cutting way west is the massive area of high pressure (>1050 mb on some models) sinking through the Northern Plains states. This will help keep any surface low farther south.

Best case scenario would probably be a GFS-like track that it has shown from the past few runs, but the concern there would be how strong the primary storm is -- that could introduce some mixing issues if it holds on too long.

Euro usually holds back SW's so until it gets some other guidance agreeing with it I feel it's off.

I was just comparing the 00z Euro to the 12z GFS to look at this. Timing of the southern branch feature is almost exactly the same -- it's the northern branch that seems to cause the difference. The northern branch feature is faster and farther south on the Euro, which initiates the phase and pulls this west. The ridge is still off the West Coast, so this is going to try to cut west.

I'm not so sure it's the usual Euro problem with holding energy back. It looked pretty progressive on the 00z run up until the phase, but that looked to be initiated by the faster northern branch energy.

yea I was wrong about UKMET, not as far west as I thought but further inland than 0z was. (sorry didnt realize last frame was still from yesterdays run). I shouldnt have said mostly rain but with an early phase and low coming north that far west of us, it is not a good set up for PA in terms of snow. North central pa might be ok for the most part but southern would mix/ turn to rain. 0z will probably end up completely different but 12z for those models are not what we want at all (except GFS). Euro is def too warm this run.

Well unfortunately with this storm I think its going to give areas of southern PA a messy storm, while areas that normally do good in these situations north of I-80 might be ok. Its tough because I can see this map having to shift more to the NW if this storm does decide to cut in the Lakes, but as I see it now this is my first call. I don't make maps very often, but feel free to give me some feedback, negative or good :snowman:

post-585-0-95944300-1296244475.gif

Archived