Rick G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

ISSUED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

419 PM EST THU JAN 27 2011

Nobody is signing their initials to anything.:)

She must have broke it.

http://radar.weather...1101111&loop=no

Great.....they read everything you guys were saying yesterday and just up and quit.

NWS CTP hired a new met, apparently. Based on the credits at the end of the AFD, she's already busy:

.CTP WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...NONE.&&$

SYNOPSIS...99

NEAR TERM...99

SHORT TERM...99

LONG TERM...99

AVIATION...99

get_smart-tv.jpg

Just saw this. Dude, that's GOLD!!! :lmao:

Just out of curiosity, how much snow did you get last winter? I agree completely, and I posted this a page or two back, Philly has had 4 different foot plus snows in 13 months. Are you kidding me? They average less than one per decade, and now this.

Anyway, I had just under 70" last winter, and to think, about 40 miles to my SOUTH they had nearly 100". (If PSUHoffman sees this he can confirm, I recall him saying last year that he was near that mark) I keep thinking it's your turn...and I keep thinking..and waiting....

Williamsports avg. 38.8

2009-2010

34.9"

2008-2009

24"

2007-2008

31.1"

2002-2003

64"

http://www.erh.noaa....php?tab=seasons

Just out of curiosity, how much snow did you get last winter? I agree completely, and I posted this a page or two back, Philly has had 4 different foot plus snows in 13 months. Are you kidding me? They average less than one per decade, and now this.

Anyway, I had just under 70" last winter, and to think, about 40 miles to my SOUTH they had nearly 100". (If PSUHoffman sees this he can confirm, I recall him saying last year that he was near that mark) I keep thinking it's your turn...and I keep thinking..and waiting....

We had a measely 53" for the 2009-2010 season, 2008-2009 was a little better with 74". 2007-2008 was 65". We usually average 75-80" a year here, Just goes to show you how worthless our winters have been for the 2000s

So, meteorology question: This pattern we've been in for two or three years - where storms ride the coast and push east past the benchmark pretty much every time, what has to happen to break that?

I know it'll happen eventually (even though that might not be good for my backyard). Does a massive winter warmup or major low pressure bomb have to occur to completely reset the pattern?

Two things that I think have been huge wrt our winters over the last two years is the EPO and the NAO. The EPO has kept troughs transient when they get into the west, and the NAO continues to bring cold shots. I believe that to be the biggest reason for the cold and snow (I know, some of you haven't seen much)

With a cold PDO, the EPO will tend to be negative more often than not, especially in the winter. We may have "fun" winters for a while to come.

That doesn't mean the we'll have gobs of snow all the time, but the potential will be there. And it's always fun to track these storms!

:snowman:

NWS CTP hired a new met, apparently. Based on the credits at the end of the AFD, she's already busy:

.CTP WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...NONE.&&$

SYNOPSIS...99

NEAR TERM...99

SHORT TERM...99

LONG TERM...99

AVIATION...99

Here's a trivia question for the non-red taggers.....

Why does this forecaster use 99?

For how close some of these towns in pa are relative to the lakes I feel bad as most average 30-50" of snow less than us. Like i thought Williamsport was bad but wow, Lock Haven averages about 5-10" lower than them at 32"! and Renovo isn't much better, to me it seems like Clinton and Lycomming are the snow holes of PA.

but seriously, I'm not sure why they use 99, but i would def like to know, thats quite interesting, I'm always up for learning new things

Your first answer is wrong. :lol:

I'm going to give some of the others time to chime in.

Maybe we should do a nightly trivia question during the week? hmmmm

Here's a trivia question for the non-red taggers.....

Why does this forecaster use 99?

Well...

For whatever the reason, the State College office has been unable to assume their forecasting responsibilities since this Afternoon, and as their primary backup... the Binghamton NY office has assumed the forecasting responsibilities for the State College forecast area. Whenever I have seen a backup office assume the forecasting responsibilities for a neighboring office, they always use numbers instead of initials when updating the AFD. Why they specifically chose the #99, I am not sure...

Well...

For whatever the reason, the State College office has been unable to assume their forecasting responsibilities since this Afternoon, and as their primary backup... the Binghamton NY office has assumed the forecasting responsibilities for the State College forecast area. Whenever I have seen a backup office assume the forecasting responsibilities for a neighboring office, they always use numbers instead of initials when updating the AFD. Why they specifically chose the #99, I am not sure...

Yup.... there's a specific reason why do this. Any it's all over the country.

Yup.... there's a specific reason why do this. Any it's all over the country.

I should actually re-phrase...

There was 1 time last year where this same situation occurred except is was a role reversal (CTP filling in for BGM), and Mike Dangelo of CTP put his last name on the BGM AFD updates. This was the only time I can recall where I saw a name instead of numbers.

What's up with CTP? This is two days in a row they basically haven't done their jobs. Yesterday we went 12 hours - during which snow was heavily falling throughout their entire area - with no single update. Today is about the same, though the weather was boring for the most part.

I mean, this isn't responsible, professional behavior imo. I have nothing at all against CTP, no way in hell could I do that job, etc. But someone is being paid to do that job and hasn't done so for two consecutive days, leaving an entire other office to do their work.

I should actually re-phrase...

There was 1 time last year where this same situation occurred except is was a role reversal (CTP filling in for BGM), and Mike Dangelo of CTP put his last name on the BGM AFD updates. This was the only time I can recall where I saw a name instead of numbers.

Your office uses numbers all the time?

What's up with CTP? This is two days in a row they basically haven't done their jobs. Yesterday we went 12 hours - during which snow was heavily falling throughout their entire area - with no single update. Today is about the same, though the weather was boring for the most part.

I mean, this isn't responsible, professional behavior imo. I have nothing at all against CTP, no way in hell could I do that job, etc. But someone is being paid to do that job and hasn't done so for two consecutive days, leaving an entire other office to do their work.

This happens when an office is performing system or hardware upgrades.

Your office uses numbers all the time?

Well...

Off the top of my head, I can only recall a handful of times when BGM has assumed forecasting responsibilities for CTP. Per recent memory, it has usually been the other way around (CTP assisting BGM). When BGM has stepped in, it was generally for only a relatively short period of time (Less than this current session) and the AFD was not updated in that time frame. But in the times they did update the AFD, I only recall numbers being used in the signature section. That is not to say that they always use numbers, but I can't think of a time they haven't.

I remember last year on two occasions where each office filled in for the other during a severe weather event, and both did a pretty stand-up job with the issuance of SPS / Warning products.

When a forecaster uses numbers as their ID, he or she does not want to let people know that they are at work and not at home. This is to reduce the chance of their house being burglarized.

Thanks for playing! Watch for another question tomorrow night at 9pm!

Archived