e46ds1x
Central PA Late January Thread Part III

Rick G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's trending colder.

Note: http://www.meteor.ia...l=nam&site=kmdt

With so much ice on the water ways. Below is what I worry about.

There was severe flooding on Lycoming Creek on January 19 and 20, 1996, when a combination of heavy snow on the ground, heavy rains and subsequent melting, and ice dams led to flooding two feet higher than that seen in 1972 with Hurricane Agnes. Six people died as a result of flooding on Lycoming Creek in the greater Williamsport area, and there was millions of dollars of damage to property. .[2]

With so much ice on the water ways. Below is what I worry about.

There was severe flooding on Lycoming Creek on January 19 and 20, 1996, when a combination of heavy snow on the ground, heavy rains and subsequent melting, and ice dams led to flooding two feet higher than that seen in 1972 with Hurricane Agnes. Six people died as a result of flooding on Lycoming Creek in the greater Williamsport area, and there was millions of dollars of damage to property. .[2]

This set up is not at all like that one.

That one had all rain and much warmer temps. An ice storm is Williamsport's primary concern based on all the modeling, none of them are showing 1.5 inches of rain. Also, Williamsport doesn't have near the snowpack as that one had. Not even close.

So, I wouldn't be worried about that.

This set up is not at all like that one.

That one had all rain and much warmer temps. An ice storm is Williamsport's primary concern based on all the modeling, none of them are showing 1.5 inches of rain. Also, Williamsport doesn't have near the snowpack as that one had. Not even close.

So, I wouldn't be worried about that.

Agreed....we got into the 60s with that event with over a foot of snowpack. We'll be lucky to get to maybe 35 at the warmest this week.

That was an insane event. Jan 96 was a crazy month, like the weather roller coaster to end all weather roller coasters.

Yeah, I wish I remembered more....I do kind of remember having to evacuate to my Aunt's house early in the morning because of the flood threat.

Including that, only twice have we had to evac because of flooding (The other being June 2006).

Yeah, I wish I remembered more....I do kind of remember having to evacuate to my Aunt's house early in the morning because of the flood threat.

Including that, only twice have we had to evac because of flooding (The other being June 2006).

Two things I remember clearly from that storm:

- Greatest positive bust of a storm I have ever seen. Only AccuWx had Pittsburgh getting a storm, and the NWS has zero snow, not even flurries. I woke up to heavy snow and an inch on the ground. I turned on the Weather Channel for the NWS forecast and it was 1-2 inches. Then about an hour later, heavy snow and close to three on the ground, snow advisory, 2-4. It kept going up, then we got a winter storm warning. Officially I think Pittsburgh got like a foot officially but I measured 15 inches on Mt. Washington. It was awesome.

- Then, the flood coverage on Pittsburgh TV and how high the water got. The Point was totally under. Crazy.

Two things I remember clearly from that storm:

- Greatest positive bust of a storm I have ever seen. Only AccuWx had Pittsburgh getting a storm, and the NWS has zero snow, not even flurries. I woke up to heavy snow and an inch on the ground. I turned on the Weather Channel for the NWS forecast and it was 1-2 inches. Then about an hour later, heavy snow and close to three on the ground, snow advisory, 2-4. It kept going up, then we got a winter storm warning. Officially I think Pittsburgh got like a foot officially but I measured 15 inches on Mt. Washington. It was awesome.

- Then, the flood coverage on Pittsburgh TV and how high the water got. The Point was totally under. Crazy.

We were snowed in. We were talking about it within my family in light of all the snow events (And how this valley seems to freak out about 3-5" of snow...God help us all if we get another 1/96 :facepalm: ). Haven't been snowed in since.

Then apparently the Susquehanna got within 18" of topping the old levee height in the flooding afterwards. It was so high you could reach over the levee and touch the river.

I'm not buying it. It goes from the southern outlier to the northern outlier in one run. Not to mention the fact that it had an Apps runner with the last event 3 days out.

LOLtastic.

Only thing that bothers me is i'm already 4 degrees about the predicted high and it's only 1230. Might hit 40 today. :facepalm:

Only thing that bothers me is i'm already 4 degrees about the predicted high and it's only 1230. Might hit 40 today. :facepalm:

That won't really be an issue. The reason it's warmer today is because the temps stayed so high last night. With the high nosing down tonight, we should get into the single digits (north) with teens elsewhere. Then, as long as the clouds come in early enough tomorrow, it will be harder to get the temperature to rise.

That won't really be an issue. The reason it's warmer today is because the temps stayed so high last night. With the high nosing down tonight, we should get into the single digits (north) with teens elsewhere. Then, as long as the clouds come in early enough tomorrow, it will be harder to get the temperature to rise.

Either way it doesn't matter because the stupid WAA is going to change it all over anyways, which means central and norther pa will be lucky to see even 6" from this dumb storm.

The thing that makes me more upset is I have to sit at a high of 23 degrees wednesday while I watch sleet ping off my window pane :lightning: ....If there was any term I hated more in meterology it would be warm air aloft!

yeah man, it really is amazing how we miss storm after storm just to our south and east.Now this one misses to our north bringin us alot of ice.What does it take anymore to get central Pa in the bullseye for a nice snowstorm, is it even possible?lol

Archived