• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Hudson Valley Thread Part 2

snywx

Thanks- so sounds a little like a replay of this last one maybe. It would be nice to get another big one up here. Hopefully something good gets brewing next week.

If the 12Z NAM is to be believed we'd see more liquid this time the column is just to warm. About half the qpt falls when its warm, then maybe snow for the back half.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure it's possible if it plays out just right or to use a mch over used phrase on the board this storm needs to thread the needle...

LOL yeah- the city guys are always mentioning thread the needle. Bottom line is we probably take for granted how many things have to happen for it to snow. Mother nature is a complex beast - just like a broad! LOL no offense to any ladies on the forum. Anyway here's to hoping for a moderate event. I wont be content until we reach 4-5 ft in depth. : )

When I was outback clearing the roof the snow was past my knees, I guess its around 25 inches.The 18Z GFS went way east but the off hour runs have been wacky lately.

Edit: 0Z GFS 1004 low south of CC at 48 Not a lot of precip west of the Hudson above Rockland, maybe .15 ? for my area eyeballing the maps. Just need a little nudge west and we would see almost douple the qpf

Whats your snow depth now? Mine is around 20" I believe at my snow stake but I know the wind blew some away from it a couple of weeks ago. I may walk around the yard a bit over the weekend and take measurements with my yardstick. This is the best, most solid, snowpack in......17 years ;-)

Hard to say since its drifted, froze up and been added on to but we are tucked into a little valley so not much melting has occurred but I would say a good 2.5 ft. It just keeps building.

So the drive in this morning was "interesting." Snow in Mahopac that changed to graupel around Briarcliff, then sleet and freezing rain from Pleasantville down to the Bronx line and then plain rain from there into the city. What I don't understand is why people feel the need to continue to motor along at 70+ no matter what. Wonder how many of those same vehicles I'm gonna see scattered off the side of the road on the way home tonight.

So the drive in this morning was "interesting." Snow in Mahopac that changed to graupel around Briarcliff, then sleet and freezing rain from Pleasantville down to the Bronx line and then plain rain from there into the city. What I don't understand is why people feel the need to continue to motor along at 70+ no matter what. Wonder how many of those same vehicles I'm gonna see scattered off the side of the road on the way home tonight.

I got about .50 of snow that changed over to light freezing rain right now, temp 26.

It's ugly up here also. Just a few flakes of snow at the start around mid afternoon, but mostly sleet (half inch), topped by some FZRA. Fog and freezing drizzle now @ 29.3F.

Let's hope the models blow Tuesday's storm by 250 miles also and it ends up hitting us. ;)

Freezing rain and drizzle all day here and still just below freezing....the good news is that the Rangers are going to have a practice in my driveway...

Freezing rain and drizzle all day here and still just below freezing....the good news is that the Rangers are going to have a practice in my driveway...

Over here on the east side, I was just above freezing for 6 hours. The light rain/drizzle this afternoon made for some good melting on my ice packed gutters and soffits. Tomorrow the forcast high is 38, can't wait to get in on some more melting . Watch out for the black ice and fog tonite. Don't forget to zamboni the driveway for the team. :lol:

A FZRA T-storm last night here and then a switch back to a little snow with a quarter inch coating. Then the west wind mixed down and we got above freezing for about one hour around 12-1 AM....33F. This was the first above freezing wx here since New Years. 27.5F now with some very light snow/flurries.

I finally got to 32.1 around 9pm. I see that I got to 39 around 2am, which is when the front must have come back through, I heard the wind around then. It's 34 here now and I'm with you, looking forward to getting rid if ice all around.

The snowcover is starting to really take on the typical mid-February grimy, dirty, sloppy look along roads in the area, and everywhere else the snow is just compacting into an icy block. I'm hoping we can freshen up the snowpack this week (especially from the Tuesday storm, since the late-week event is unanimously being pushed out to sea by the models), but if it's going to keep melting and getting nasty, I'll be rooting for a heavy rainstorm for a quick, painless death of winter. Melting a little every day from now until April is way too depressing. :(

I drove through your area on the Taconic on Thursday and that was some pretty impressive snow depth - somewhat more than here. The banks along the side roads made some seem like tunnels. I think we all gain some snow Monday night.

The snowcover is starting to really take on the typical mid-February grimy, dirty, sloppy look along roads in the area, and everywhere else the snow is just compacting into an icy block. I'm hoping we can freshen up the snowpack this week (especially from the Tuesday storm, since the late-week event is unanimously being pushed out to sea by the models), but if it's going to keep melting and getting nasty, I'll be rooting for a heavy rainstorm for a quick, painless death of winter. Melting a little every day from now until April is way too depressing. :(

I drove through your area on the Taconic on Thursday and that was some pretty impressive snow depth - somewhat more than here. The banks along the side roads made some seem like tunnels. I think we all gain some snow Monday night.

It's certainly been the most consistently deep snowpack I can remember around here. Before it all started compacting, we sat at about 30" of cover. I haven't been on the Taconic in a while, but I assume the lanes are getting even narrower?

Yeah there really isn't any more room to push it along the Taconic ...until you get to where it has been improved and widened alot down south.

But I prefer it to the Thruway when coming up from the city ..it's free and peaceful/quiet once past I-84. :) Then I either cut northwest to home by exiting at route 82 in West Taghkanic or I take it to I-90 and thence west past Albany.

It's certainly been the most consistently deep snowpack I can remember around here. Before it all started compacting, we sat at about 30" of cover. I haven't been on the Taconic in a while, but I assume the lanes are getting even narrower?

Nice day yesterday, it hit 39 imby :thumbsup: . Spent the day working on ice removal and opened up one of the gutter drains. Saturday was touch and go, a degree or two colder and we would have had a major ice storm. Glad it worked it the way it did.

I got to 41 yesterday with plenty of afternoon sun, the first afternoon of 2011 that my brother and I could enjoy a couple of brewski's outside. The sun felt great and my gutters were flowing as I worked along my driveway to first melt some of the ice and then to open open channels to let the water flow away before the next big freeze up heading our way.

Archived