northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The Hudson Valley Thread Part 2

snywx

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.5" of gravel out there, cemented in by a couple tenths of an inch of freezing rain. I think my snowpack came out of round 2 more-or-less even by the time you factor in compression. Overall a lot less destructive storm (both to property and snowpack) than it could have been. If we can eek out four or five inches this weekend, I'll be happy.

But the durability has been increased :) The better to survive any later February thaws before the big finish in March. :snowman:

2.5" of gravel out there, cemented in by a couple tenths of an inch of freezing rain. I think my snowpack came out of round 2 more-or-less even by the time you factor in compression. Overall a lot less destructive storm (both to property and snowpack) than it could have been. If we can eek out four or five inches this weekend, I'll be happy.

Dodged a bullet :whistle: Precip ended while it was still cold and then it went above 32 within a few minutes after it stopped. Ice is melting off everything now pretty quickly. I didn't lose any big branches and the power didn't go out (yet.) This was the heaviest stuff I've ever had to shovel though.

Us fat old white boys ain't built for this :weight_lift: I got so lucky though, the town plow guy was very understanding. I was just scraping it and pushing it to the end of the driveway to deal with it later and he motioned for me to push it into the street. It took him six passes to do the whole street and each time he went by he pushed another ton of ice out of the driveway for me :thumbsup: I had my kid run into the house and grab a few beers that I gave him on his final pass, you shoulda seen the smile on his face :drunk:

I thought I had dodged the bullet since we got mostly sleet but my power is out now. Just running on battery for now, I'm gonna take a nap and hope the power is back when I wake up. If it's not then I guess I'll be firing up the generator.

yuck, I hope its fixed after your ZZzz's

Dodged a bullet :whistle: Precip ended while it was still cold and then it went above 32 within a few minutes after it stopped. Ice is melting off everything now pretty quickly. I didn't lose any big branches and the power didn't go out (yet.) This was the heaviest stuff I've ever had to shovel though.

Us fat old white boys ain't built for this :weight_lift: I got so lucky though, the town plow guy was very understanding. I was just scraping it and pushing it to the end of the driveway to deal with it later and he motioned for me to push it into the street. It took him six passes to do the whole street and each time he went by he pushed another ton of ice out of the driveway for me :thumbsup: I had my kid run into the house and grab a few beers that I gave him on his final pass, you shoulda seen the smile on his face :drunk:

A few beers for pushing sleet. Thats a good deal :thumbsup:

Yes, i was there on Saturday - it is a new place that just opened about 3 weeks ago.. It is a fun place with a good bar.. You should check it out.

Hey Radders I was at that bar on sat night too. Been there couple of times now. Pretty cool place. : ) unfortunately when we first got there some lady was unconscious at the front lobby and got carted out by ambulance. Did you see that? In storm related news we got about 5inches and then about 2 inches of sleet and ice.

I had my kid run into the house and grab a few beers that I gave him on his final pass, you shoulda seen the smile on his face :drunk:

When I still lived in New Windsor I had too much left over beer from my St. Patty's Day party so I gave a 12 pack to the garbage men. I never had a problem getting rid of anything after that....

yuck, I hope its fixed after your ZZzz's

I love it when a plan comes together, power came back on just as I was getting up about an hour ago.

Hey Radders I was at that bar on sat night too. Been there couple of times now. Pretty cool place. : ) unfortunately when we first got there some lady was unconscious at the front lobby and got carted out by ambulance. Did you see that? In storm related news we got about 5inches and then about 2 inches of sleet and ice.

Maybe we should have a Hudson Valley Crew gathering there some time.

I must have missed that drama!! I was there from around 8pm onwards and had dinner there.

Is that the one right under the bridge just barely to the north?

Wait I might be thinking of the RT 55 bridge.

the newburgh beacon bridge is just north of it for me coming from south. Torches is up there too. And the new rib place is in the same place Front Street bar was in. If you knew that place.

Fresh coating here..

Lgt Snow w/ a temp of 32*

That's what I figured. Not much but just enough of a coating to mess things up before the freeze.

What happened? It looked like a couple hundred miles of scattered snow showers just disappeared in one radar frame.

I've got super wet snow grains falling now and a bunch of wind. Be careful walking around outside, all the ice is blowing off the trees and powerlines. It sounds like breaking glass. Temp has been falling very slowly for a few hours and is now below freezing again and the streets are freezing up fast. My driveway is a sheet of ice...

Yeah me and my buddies used to go there often but it turned for the worst about 5 yrs ago or so. I remember the line to get in that place was insane..

New place is pretty cool though and they get bands in there now. Its got a barn feel to it but interesting mix of a crowd. First time there was a good crowd of chicks- so word must have gotten out cause more dudes showed up last week but still decent girls there so far. : )

Dusting of snow here in Monroe. This storm had it all. Would have been sweet if that 8-12 verified. But I'll take the 6 with over an inch of ice. Problem is I worked all day from home and when I went outside the driveway is so frozen can't do a thing with It. What does the Sat storm look like for us?

The 0Z GFS for KMGJ had .53 as snow and then about .10 after that as IP. The 0Z NAm was a bit warmer and a bit drier, about .40 total I think. There's no real source of cold air for this system so storm track will be key for our precip type.

I was just looking at the 12Z NAM data, at hour 60 its above freezing from 750mb downward.with a 2M temp of 31.9. Hour 66 has the 2M temp at 32.1 but the entire column is below freezing.

I can't say that I have, have you?

The roads were steadily improving in my travels to Newburgh and back. I did see a buffoon though on a recently plowed NYS 208 going about 10 miles an hour with the passenger side tires in his lane and the drivers side in mine. I stopped as there was no one behind me and just stared at him in awe. I wasn't in any real danger as he was going slow and I had room to bail if he came towards me. As he drove past me I looked over and his entire windsheild was a sheet of ice, not even partilally melted at the bottom or anything. I just stared and shook my head as he finally pulled off into a parking lot. I made eye contact with one of the guys stuck behind him and the 2 of us just shook our heads and threw our arms up in the air.

I hear that. Add to that list the people who only clear the front windsheild or don't clear the roof and become rolling ice bomb factories on the highway and lets not leave out trucks with snow and ice on top of the trailor Its made for tricky driving the last few days.:thumbsdown:

The 0Z GFS for KMGJ had .53 as snow and then about .10 after that as IP. The 0Z NAm was a bit warmer and a bit drier, about .40 total I think. There's no real source of cold air for this system so storm track will be key for our precip type.

Thanks- so sounds a little like a replay of this last one maybe. It would be nice to get another big one up here. Hopefully something good gets brewing next week.

I am so fed up with all these people plowing out their driveways and pushing it straight across the street. All of a sudden as you're driving the street gets a foot or more narrower, and it's already two to three feet narrower than it's supposed to be, and when you're looking at a car or truck or school bus coming the other way your heart skips a beat. Who do I complain to about this?

Archived