Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC CWA January 26-27 OBS and Discussion Thread

Rib

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tremendous convection in the GOM this morning. Awesome mid level jet still aparent on wv. As we have seen time and time again this winter, 36 hours seems to have a solution somewhat s and e of the final result. We very mindful of this when looking at where the qpf blob is on these maps.

That ETA run, also known as a member of the SREF, looks great for I-95 and ugly NW of there. I've never seen so many storms have such difficulty penetrating NW with the precip shield, even on the random models that go bonkers on occasion.

NOGAPS & GGEM a huge hit for entire NJ/NYC area....Deform band hits everyone.

I'm thinking the models amplify again somewhat tonight and early tomorrow. Still some time for shifts with this thing, and obviously with banded setups just a few miles is key.

Im glad its more about how much snow we get rather than snow vs rain. All the local mets are even latching onto this and saying it will be predominantly snow for the whole area.

BTW its snowing pretty hard right now :thumbsup::snowman::whistle:

Just remember the MM5 is out of its range still and tends to be a progressive model. Anyone remember the days of weenies clinging to it at the last moment when we had storms that were progged too far NW by every other model?

Agreed. Looking at H5, not sure how it allows the SLP to scoot due east. We have 2 RAOB cycles to go and four full cycles to go on this thing.

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies and endless waves of snow! The gefs must have some members that shift the ccb further west.

Really just looks like a smoothed out version of the operation at 12z, filling in, straightening out the lines a bit. Looks like a more uniform presentation of the precip. field (as it should being an ensemble.) I see no serious overall jog west or east.

Issued by The National Weather Service

New York City, NY

12 pm EST, Tue., Jan. 25, 2011

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS... NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY... THE NEW YORK CITY METROPOLITAN AREA... LONG ISLAND... AND COASTAL CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARDS... HEAVY SNOW... WITH A PERIOD OF A RAIN AND SLEET MIX AT THE ONSET.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW.

* WINDS... NORTHEAST WINDS OF 10 TO 15 MPH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON... BECOMING NORTH AND INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP 30 MPH WEDNESDAY NIGHT... THEN TURNING NORTHWEST THURSDAY MORNING. HIGHEST WINDS EAST.

* TIMING... WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO THURSDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS... TRAVEL MAY BE HAZARDOUS DURING THE WEDNESDAY EVENING COMMUTE AND THURSDAY MORNING COMMUTE... WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW FALLING OVERNIGHT WEDNESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still conservatite, and not wanting to nail down an exact forecast re: totall acumulation

-Matthew

NOGAPS & GGEM a huge hit for entire NJ/NYC area....Deform band hits everyone.

Good'ol Canadian comes to save the day. Nice to see a more expansive NW shield on the graphics, any graphics. IMO the RGEM is superior in the short range. And together with NAM, SREFs, GFS, I'm still nervous that this tucks ENE. Regardless, things look great for the metros! Although a bit of sleet still wouldn't surprise me.

Instinct says a southern stream wave pulls further NW, at least initially. This should help parts of CPA especially. Thereafter, NEPA and ENY hang in the balance. Please Euro don't **** with us.

Archived