• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC CWA January 26-27 OBS and Discussion Thread

Rib

While the American models have been all over the place with this event, the EC for the most part has been very consistent for the past several runs once it dismissed the idea of an apps runner. I'm putting most of my stock in the Euro until prooven wrong. Not sure if it was mentioned yet but some mets mentioned that the 6z NAM and GFS looked to be suffering from severe convective feedack issues. In any event, the GFS and NAM have given me everything from flooding rains to back breaking snow and everything in between. Now its almost looking like a non-event for me. This is not an IMBY post, just think that the NAM is too far east atm. As for the GGEM, how can you trust a model that up until yesterday showed a massive rain storm for everyone? Our best case scenario is that the low stays closed off in the MA like the 18z GFS had so that that deform band gets going 6 hrs sooner.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the American models have been all over the place with this event, the EC for the most part has been very consistent for the past several runs once it dismissed the idea of an apps runner. I'm putting most of my stock in the Euro until prooven wrong. Not sure if it was mentioned yet but some mets mentioned that the 6z NAM and GFS looked to be suffering from severe convective feedack issues. In any event, the GFS and NAM have given me everything from flooding rains to back breaking snow and everything in between. Now its almost looking like a non-event for me. This is not an IMBY post, just think that the NAM is too far east atm. As for the GGEM, how can you trust a model that up until yesterday showed a massive rain storm for everyone? Our best case scenario is that the low stays closed off in the MA like the 18z GFS had so that that deform band gets going 6 hrs sooner.

Not even sure why people follow anything but the EURO. The EURO had the Boxing Day Blizzard and the storm after that perfectly while other models were out to lunch.

Do any of the mets have a take on how well the GFS has been handeling this system thus far? The low takes almost an identical track as 18z yet its a bit less amplified and the deform band gets going just a tad too late to bury everyone like 18z did. I'm wondering if all that convection over the SE is taking its toll. Albeit it seems like the rest of the 12z guidance is latching on to this being more of a coastal threat atm. In any event, I'll take my 0.75" QPF with high ratios on the NW edge of the heavier precip. Not much more room for error though, and too think I'm currently on the SE edge of the watches? Is it just me or did the timing of the event really speed up as well? Looks like only about 6 hours of total precip away from the immediate coast.

h3 and h5 looks great from 12-30 hours. But the trof is dampening and deamplifying thereafter. More significantly, the entire structure is moving progressively ENE, so even though the antecedent flow is out of the south, once the mid-level low hits to coast, it pulls the surface low ENE with it. Thus a pedestrian solution NW of NYC and a relatively short duration event elsewhere. This scenario is pretty good for PHL to NYC though, because the pinching mid-level low keeps it cold everywhere. A nice snow thump. But I hope the Euro idea is more correct.

Archived