Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC CWA January 26-27 OBS and Discussion Thread

Rib

Guest stormchaser

Cool, Cool. Thanks...

I would be shocked if the strongest CCB doesn't show up between Earthlight's house and mine. Look at the water vapor, look at the jet streak, notice where the finger is pointing.

Lol thats about as much of an IMBY post/wishcast as you're going to get

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

u ugys are waaaay too concerned with wich model shows the most for mby.

look at the upper levels on select model, watch where the best dynamics are...if ur watching TWC and see some tattas on a stick saying 2-4inches for New York City, and you believe her...you FAIL.

also, id caution using the meso guidance for qpf printout. good for finding where the CBB sets up and where the bands form.

it is somewhat weird how dry ie tight gradient is set up on the NW side but without blocking or a strong H to our north, guidance should begin to show the h5 low closer to the coast.

I care. I always prefer a run to be stronger, wetter, and/or colder than the previous. The feelings are usually mixed. Just because I'm happy the Euro basically held serve, doesn't mean that I don't care that it significantly cut back on QPF. It's not so black and white.

this was my point about why I made my post.....if there is no forward progress you are regressing

The euro would be what, 4" of snow for us? I consider that the bottom limit.

Doesn't sound right to me at all... if we're thumping heavy snow at 1-2"/hour, it won't be 36 degrees at the surface. Just no way, especially if winds are ageostrophically originating from snowcovered land. When it's coming down at moderate or greater, the column should become isothermal, and it should be all snow for most of us. I can never rule out mixing, especially here on the immediate south shore for a while when the precip is lighter, but when it intensifies I think it quickly goes over to snow. Almost all of us should have a pretty large majority snow event. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point where we have to worry about power outages/downed branches, etc because it should be the very wet, pasty snow we saw last week but twice as much of it.

Doesn't sound right to me at all... if we're thumping heavy snow at 1-2"/hour, it won't be 36 degrees at the surface. Just no way, especially if winds are ageostrophically originating from snowcovered land. When it's coming down at moderate or greater, the column should become isothermal, and it should be all snow for most of us. I can never rule out mixing, especially here on the immediate south shore for a while when the precip is lighter, but when it intensifies I think it quickly goes over to snow. Almost all of us should have a pretty large majority snow event. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point where we have to worry about power outages/downed branches, etc because it should be the very wet, pasty snow we saw last week but twice as much of it.

I agree, and a further consideration would be the 35-40 mph gusts that would add to the power outage dangers. The ONLY thing keeping this from being a damaging event is the short duration-- seems like its out of here during the morning, maybe even before sunrise.

I agree, and a further consideration would be the 35-40 mph gusts that would add to the power outage dangers. The ONLY thing keeping this from being a damaging event is the short duration-- seems like its out of here during the morning, maybe even before sunrise.

Yep, and that's why its especially hard to go with amounts above 12" anywhere from this, but some spots could approach it if banding really materializes. Some higher ratio snow would help as well. Nassau County had 6-12" from the Xmas 2002 storm, and that lasted only 4-5 hours (the snowy part).

Is there any reasoning for amounts that high? I mean I could see some 12 to 15 isolated 18 but 25"???

AndyNJWx: just to warn you all, from NE VA, into C NJ and possibly northern Jersey, 18-25", with blizzard conditions, is on the way. Thats essentially right along i-95 corridor and to its south and east side. This is the biggest one yet this winter!

AndyNJWx: just to warn you all, from NE VA, into C NJ and possibly northern Jersey, 18-25", with blizzard conditions, is on the way. Thats essentially right along i-95 corridor and to its south and east side. This is the biggest one yet this winter!

lol wow, Id be happy with the 6-8 inches the NWS is putting out for us-- anything more would be an extremely pleasant surprise.

LOLOLOL- that guy hasnt looked at models in years...he wasnt very good back in the day either...

HPC is going with a GGEM or Ukie track. They said the GFS and Nam are too far east.

PRELIMINARY PREFERENCE: GEM GLOBAL OR UKMET

THE NAM AND GFS TRACK THIS CYCLONE SLIGHTLY EAST OF THE 00Z

EUROPEAN CENTRE GUIDANCE...WHICH HAD HUGGED THE DELMARVA SHORE

WITH THE REDEVELOPMENT PHASE. THE GEM GLOBAL AND UKMET DIRECT THE

LOW JUST OFF THE SOUTHERN DELMARVA PENINSULA BY THE START OF DAY

3...WHICH FITS CLIMATOLOGY THE BEST FOR THE SYNOPTIC PATTERN WHICH

HAS FINALLY SETTLED OUT.

From past experience, the best banding tends to show up 10-25 miles NW of the positioned forecast 24 hours out (see 12/26/10 event). The models seem to want to take the tremendous amount of moisture and displace it off to the south and east of our area. Then most models have a secondary area of precip developoing over the DC area and tracking ENE. I'm not buying the "skip over NYC area" with the CCB scenario atm. This may be the case where the highest snow totals are displaced to the NW of the heaviest QPF thanks to lower surface temps and higher ratios.

I'm not a met by any means but weather has been a hobby for me even as a young child. Most of the people I work with relly on my forecast and even though I currently think its "too close to call" over NE NJ I went with the following forecast. It's more or less a comprimise of the Euro, GGEM and GFS.

NYC - 1.2" QPF - 6-12"

Ramsey, NJ - 1.1" QPF - 7-14"

Wayne, NJ - 1.0" QPF - 6-10"

West Milford, NJ - 0.9" QPF - 7-14" (aided by elevation)

DT had this storm for awhile; I remember back a few days ago he was calling for 6-12 inches here and he might end up right.

after last nights model run I had visions grandiose...I was thinking it would be bigger than Dec26th!!!

not looking favorable at the moment...maybe that changes tonight!

:weenie:

please tell me your joking....

The only place I think this storm might be bigger (and that's a big MIGHT) would be the north shore of Suffolk County where they got 11 inches or so in that storm. but, then again, it still wouldnt be their biggest snow of the season because those same areas got 20" a couple of weeks ago.

after last nights model run I had visions grandiose...I was thinking it would be bigger than Dec26th!!!

not looking favorable at the moment...maybe that changes tonight!

No way. The storm's hauling its way out of here and the really heavy snow hits us in maybe 6-8 hours, unlike the 18 hours we had on 12/26, not to mention the fact we'll have lower ratios.

No way. The storm's hauling its way out of here and the really heavy snow hits us in maybe 6-8 hours, unlike the 18 hours we had on 12/26, not to mention the fact we'll have lower ratios.

Not to disagree but the recent storm in CT that gave NYC 7" or 8" was also a fast mover but dumped 30"+ totals over southwestern CT.

Setting your expectations that high will only result in an eventual letdown.

this storm overall will likely not be as big for a widespread area as 12/26/10 but for some poeple on the coast that storm underachieved and inland areas did alot better, ex. ne jersey that had 28+ when here in southwest suffolk i recorded 16".

Archived