Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC CWA January 26-27 OBS and Discussion Thread

Rib

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks EL. I needed to see those. They look SO much better than last run for NNJ and SENY.

Yeah it looks great...that's what I wanted to see on the SREF's as I noted earlier. There are a few duds in there that are not allowing the mean to be more expansive...but it still bumped northwest with the heavier QPF by like 25-50 miles which is really good to see on a 15z mean.

I think we will know what's going on with tonights 00z models and mesoscale models. Somebodys going to get 12"+ in that band, it's just a matter of where it sets up.

100% improvement.

ULL love as the convective feedback slides east and lift and ccb get going over the area, sim radar shows the groundtruth, I would imagine the next 4 runs will look better at the surface leading up to tom nights event. Should be a sick 4-8 hr period of heavy, heavy snow, 6-12 give that deposit slip to the teller.

The models which tuck the surface low in closer to the coast have the H5 low closed off--it's pretty important. The NAM and other models that don't develop the big deformation right overhead have it open as it passes to our southeast. The Euro, GEM, UK, etc are a pretty good team to have in that regard.

The NAM puts the NYC area in between heavier bands it looks like, thus the lower QPF. Wouldn't worry about it. Obviously someone gets nailed with banding, and someone won't. Just the way it goes.

most models have displayed the QPF fields very strangely this entire week...gotta wonder if that is how its gonna play out...

The models which tuck the surface low in closer to the coast have the H5 low closed off--it's pretty important. The NAM and other models that don't develop the big deformation right overhead have it open as it passes to our southeast. The Euro, GEM, UK, etc are a pretty good team to have in that regard.

yes, the precip shields on the GGEM/UKMET/EURO all look the same and look very healthy. The NAM and GFS dont quite look as good

The NAM puts the NYC area in between heavier bands it looks like, thus the lower QPF. Wouldn't worry about it. Obviously someone gets nailed with banding, and someone won't. Just the way it goes. I doubt this NAM run has it exactly right.

This post is the best so far. The NAM adjusted well northwest with the QPF field which is what we wanted to see. It didn't tighten up the banding, but it will get there if you ask me.

Well, that looks just about perfect for NYC metro. Bizzare that people are complaining. Do they remember how this looked as recently as the 6Z models earlier today?

since I know this is directed at me- IT WAST A COMPLAINT. everything on these boards need to be said with a disclaimer...I WAS MERELY STATING WHAT THE NAM SHOWED....better than 6Z yes, worse than 0Z....

This post is the best so far. The NAM adjusted well northwest with the QPF field which is what we wanted to see. It didn't tighten up the banding, but it will get there if you ask me.

Your post makes a lot of sense. The better/longer 500 stays closed up, the more likely a solid deform swings over the whole area, and doesn't skip areas like it sort of does here.

Well, that looks just about perfect for NYC metro. Bizzare that people are complaining. Do they remember how this looked as recently as the 6Z models earlier today?

The avg of all guidance is between 0.5 and 1.50 for the area. The nam and the 12z gfs showing the least qpf. None of these models can accurately project the heaviest bands, the high res models will give some guidance but clear trends DC- NYC 6 + inch snow storm.

This is beautiful. It finds a way to slide the vorticity east and open the H5 low in the next frame. I try not to say simple, blunt statements in analysis of the models...but it's probably wrong in doing that.

Very nice... Looking forward to another late night with "The Overnight Crew" ;)

:lmao:

Despite the bad rap this is a good crew..you guys all rock.

Although if atownwxwatcher mentions the NOGAPS one more time I might start convulsing.

He's been rather quiet the last couple of days, I'm sure you've noticed and probably know why lol ;)

Archived