northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC CWA January 26-27 OBS and Discussion Thread

Rib

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the time frame on the clipper? Havent seen a good clipper for what seems like a couple of years.

For some reason, all the good clippers seem to have gone north of the region the las few years. Back in the late 80s/90s/early 00s, we used to have about one clipper every year deliver a good moderate hit of 3-6 inches. Granted we hardly ever got coastal snowstorms in the 80s or 90s (outside of 93-94 and 95-96).

Official Euro QPF numbers

EWR: 1.09" All snow

JFK: 1.14" some mixing

LGA: 1.11" some mixing

HPN: 1.01" All snow

Given the EURO runs a tad warm I'd be comfortable in saying almost all of the QPF with this system will be snow for NYC on northwest. I still think 6-12" is a good guess at this time with local amounts higher due to banding.

That being said, the EURO is more like 10-12" for the city itself, quite impressive.

That's exactly what I wanted to see...it lends credence to the further northwest models. It's hard to find any SREF members (other than a stray RSM and ETA member) that have a very far southeast deformation band like some of the 12z models did.

John, is there a decent chance that this comes far enough NW to introduce serious mixing issues? By serious, I mean, let's say more than 30% of that 1 inch plus QPF at JFK falling as something other than snow?

I think the storm will be closer to the coast. There is nothing to force this storm really far east. The NAO isn't really negative and the PNA is positive.

There's nothing to force it north either. So then what's forcing it to do anything?

Why would a model show it SE if its destiny was to move further NW?

Official Euro QPF numbers

EWR: 1.09" All snow

JFK: 1.14" some mixing

LGA: 1.11" some mixing

HPN: 1.01" All snow

Thanks looks like the ggem and ukmet and GEFS, NAM. How were the ecm ensemble north of BWI. The mid atl thread only mentioned that area.

Guest Patrick

...And on the other significant issue, that of timing, looks like this gets underway sometime early afternoon from South to North (jersey/NYC metro)....please correct me if I am wrong.

NAM more expansive with UVV's compared to 12z run thus far through 27 hours

I think the storm will be closer to the coast. There is nothing to force this storm really far east. The NAO isn't really negative and the PNA is positive.

If you look at the progression of the northern stream on the water vapor loop, you can see how the sharp cutoff may form and the non coastal hugger solution.

Yup, the east-west height field sliding down from Canada "wants to" squash this thing.

NAM looks like it's headed for a nice hit through 30 hrs..low is tucked in to the coast compared to the 12z run and the UVV's are more expansive to the northwest

unfortunately its getting worse with each model run....the heavier echoes just skip over LI like its not there

Archived