Newest Member
    northernriwx
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it makes sense. I was hoping he was lost at sea. :(

Shame some of our notorious posters didn't keep their old usernames. That being said, I used the ignore feature for the first time in my message board history a week or so ago.

Back to the mundane weather, looks like LAF shines and put a 39º on the board for today. Godspeed snowpack, you were great when you were around for the past 2 months.

Shame some of our notorious posters didn't keep their old usernames. That being said, I used the ignore feature for the first time in my message board history a week or so ago.

Back to the mundane weather, looks like LAF shines and put a 39º on the board for today. Godspeed snowpack, you were great when you were around for the past 2 months.

Yeah, even the typically slower melting sleet won't be able to fight this one.

Yeah, even the typically slower melting sleet won't be able to fight this one.

I was sorta curious as to how long the glacier would take to melt, but then I lost interest rather quickly. At least we'll be able to see in intersections soon, reclaim parking spots, etc etc. It was a very good run for LAF. :)

From from university yesterday... I dig.

Last cold day in a while?

There is definitely a change coming, after Friday where the low dipped to -23.4°C in the morning, it looks like the temperature is going to slowly going to go up and up. It might not go down again till sometime on Sunday (maybe even Sunday evening).

And it's not just the short term that sees higher temperatures, with some forecasted highs of 6 in middle of next week.

After that, the medium range forecasts have it staying either at or a bit above average into mid-March. Thus I'll be bold and predict that today is going to be the coldest day we see until the fall.

From from university yesterday... I dig.

Last cold day in a while?

There is definitely a change coming, after Friday where the low dipped to -23.4°C in the morning, it looks like the temperature is going to slowly going to go up and up. It might not go down again till sometime on Sunday (maybe even Sunday evening).

And it's not just the short term that sees higher temperatures, with some forecasted highs of 6 in middle of next week.

After that, the medium range forecasts have it staying either at or a bit above average into mid-March. Thus I'll be bold and predict that today is going to be the coldest day we see until the fall.

Not terribly bold imho. It's tough to get the coldest airmass of the season in late Feb/early March. Only winter in recent memory when that may have happened was March 2003, and even that I'll have to check up on.

Indeed, March 3, 2003 had a shot of brutally cold arctic air. Coldest of that winter. Also early March 2007 interestingly enough, although considering how warm air front loaded that winter was it's not really that much of a surprise.

A heavy burst of snow is coming through now.

It's going to end shortly, but visibliteis were easily a half mile or less with huge flakes. Everything has a fresh coating on it now, except the concrete & ashphalt where it melted earlier is icy.

Was snowing big flakes when I left a friends at 10pm, had a fresh 0.1", but snow had stopped when I got home, though it may have resumed. Funny how the day started with 0.4" before sunrise too, now3 its ending with another fresh dusting. Yet the daylight hours were filled with sunshine. Is this Michigan or Colorodo lol? Some melting around the endges today, but snow-depth really didnt budge.

On the way to the next Pub..That Heavy Burst of looked awesome outside gave the Bar a true Northern Look.. I Love this State!! Proud to be a Michigander!

While it will take more than a coating to freshen up the massive gray and white snowbanks on the sides of the road, looking in backyards the snow has all the appearance of a fresh, deep blanket of white gold, my what a little coating does to an old but deep snowpack!

Ugh, looks like an overperformer. It has to move in in the wee hours of the morning? I got so much stuff to do tomorrow but I'm going to stay up and watch it, especially now that I'm seeing reports of moderate to heavy snow in SE MI. At this time of year, you never know when it'll be your last.

Let me help you off the bridge.

Let me help you off the bridge.

Models would have to implode, but you never know. They're just pictures on a screen, not empirical reality. Winter ended in February last winter, and the winter before. Heck winter ended in 2005-06 on New Year's Eve. Early departures are not unheard of by any stretch of the imagination.

Models would have to implode, but you never know. They're just pictures on a screen, not empirical reality. Winter ended in February last winter, and the winter before. Heck winter ended in 2005-06 on New Year's Eve. Early departures are not unheard of by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd give this one a little more time before jumping in.

Indeed the 2006 portion of the 2005-06 winter sucked as bad as any portion of mid-winter I can ever remember, obviously though there was snow Jan-Apr 2006 lol.

I forgave March 2009 because we had a 2nd consecutive extremely snowy winter, it was karma after the heavy snow of March 2008, and we still ended up with a heavy April 2009 snowstorm.

March 2010 shocked me, come on, 2 near-snowless Marches in a row, are we still paying the price for Mar '08? Although, the first 10 days of March 2010 were covered with the remains of the deep February snows.

March 2011 do we have 3 sucky Marches in a row? No. Way. :snowman:

Archived