The weird thing about that event was the fact that there was only about 2” of front end snow that quickly turned to sleet, followed by hours upon hours of sleet. The next day we got about 2-4” of heavy snow on the back end here in NW NJ.
I'm puzzled by some of those measurements. There was a report of 31.3" by a trained spotter literally a mere 2 miles from my house. I don't think we ever had more than 20-22" on the ground at one time here. Even taking compaction into account, it seems like such a considerable difference.
Just an incredibly dull stretch of weather. It’s not just the lack of snow, it’s the lack of anything worth following. I don’t consider it cold and dry if temperatures aren’t even below normal.
The word "lackluster" definitely comes to mind for this recent stretch of weather. In addition to the lack of significant storms on the horizon, there doesn't seem to be any interesting temperature extremes either.
I'm just bewildered that we could go from confluence being a major factor potentially limiting totals north of I-84, to having the mix line potentially creeping in even well north of NYC. Talk about a fragile setup.
This makes me wonder if there have been any notable cases of a great Atlantic overcoming an unfavorable (or even terrible) Pacific, leading to great period, month or even winter. I'd be curious to know from anyone more knowledgeable.
I suppose we can hope for a well-timed storm at some point from January through March, a la 2/22/08. Surely that's not completely out of the realm of possibility? I may just be grasping at straws.