• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Annual Countdown to May 1st thread ©

weatherwiz

Well with the winter season beginning to wind down it is time to start looking ahead towards the spring and summer months and in particular the upcoming severe weather season.  After a fairly lackluster 2015 severe weather season 2016 potentially holds much more promise.  With long-range computer forecast guidance vastly weakening the Nino towards the spring, perhaps even quickly heading towards Nina territory, past occurrences (while the sample size is quite small) have led to active years from the central plains all the way to here in New England.  Within this thread we will countdown to the beginning of New England severe season and prepare for whatever the season may have to offer.  

The countdown begins at 109 days!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple weeks ago, I think it's still the most recent post in the Amwx SNE group. It's a headline and short article describing damages in the Salem evening news. The storm was dated July 26, 1907 at around 4PM, and the article was printed the next day.

Ahh that was probably during the week when I was pretty sick and would go to bed right after work. I'll check it out later this evening

Can't wait for June first I saw somewhere that we only had two seasons where a tropical storm or hurricane hasn't hit the east coast after a strong elnino that's incredible if true and will be chasing if we have a threat

i always thought this thread should be titled, "...June 1st" ..but tjm -

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently reading up on the relatively new method for forecasting tornado environments weeks in advance. I'm pretty sure the journal article is behind a paywall currently at AMS, but you can get tidbits from http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-college-of-dupage-prof-may-have-found-way-to-forecast-tornadoes-2-3-weeks-in-advance-20160304-story.html and http://weather.cod.edu/~vgensini/ertaf/

Vic is a smart guy doing some great work it seems. He was in the running at DVN when they hired me, and I'm not sure how the NWS let him slip away.

Checking his verification from last years experiment, it's quite promising. Hit 10 of 15 periods for week 3 forecasts, and didn't bust any (meaning his "wrong" forecasts just fell within 50% of normal error). There we no above average forecasts with below average tornadoes, and vice versa.

As if chaser convergence wasn't bad enough, image if they could have 3 weeks lead time to plan their vacations.

OT, but for those with GRA2 the new update has added a feature to monitor Tornado Probability and Tornado Intensity Estimation using Thompson's research.  Allows you to move mouse across a developing or developed circulation and see (within pop-up box) probabilities of EF1>, EF2, EF3 or EF4 occurrence based on Thompson's research of VROT; shows max vrot as you move through circulation, along with max in and out velocities, circulation diameter and dV...  

Archived