• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Annual Countdown to May 1st thread ©

weatherwiz

As ridiculous as this thread is for New England ( ;) ) I am ready for convection.

Watching tornadoes develop in the Quad Cities tonight just makes me realize how much I miss it.

I can't wait either.  There's nothing like watching a severe wx event out west this time of year and knowing your season is right around the corner.  

I can't wait either.  There's nothing like watching a severe wx event out west this time of year and knowing your season is right around the corner.  

The event that just went on in the DVN area would have most forecasters faces melting here in New England. At least two relatively long-lived tornadoes, several other storms needing TORs, plus all the SVRs needed.

We're used to a handful of good storms on a big day, out there everything needs watching.

The event that just went on in the DVN area would have most forecasters faces melting here in New England. At least two relatively long-lived tornadoes, several other storms needing TORs, plus all the SVRs needed.

We're used to a handful of good storms on a big day, out there everything needs watching.

I can't even imagine how crazy those offices are in setups like this.  How many people do they usually staff?  I'm assuming they have like at least 3 people watching just radar?  

I can't even imagine how crazy those offices are in setups like this.  How many people do they usually staff?  I'm assuming they have like at least 3 people watching just radar?  

An event like this would probably be around 6 people.

Two warning forecasters, one primary and the other jumping in after sectorizing (by geography or threat (i.e. one for TOR one for SVR)).

One for the forecast grids

Public service unit to handle balloon launch, phones calls, obs

One for social media, phone calls

And probably an extra body or two for additional phone calls, verification, mesoanalysis, eventual relief for the radar operators.

An event like this would probably be around 6 people.

Two warning forecasters, one primary and the other jumping in after sectorizing (by geography or threat (i.e. one for TOR one for SVR)).

One for the forecast grids

Public service unit to handle balloon launch, phones calls, obs

One for social media, phone calls

And probably an extra body or two for additional phone calls, verification, mesoanalysis, eventual relief for the radar operators.

I think I'd hate to be the one dealing with the phone calls :lol:  Although I'm sure they probably have great methods for dealing with the media and such and getting information out when they can.  I know at least at BOX they do a tremendous job getting updates out to the media at least every hour or so.  

I imagine these days go by insanely quickly for the forecasters, especially once the event gets underway.

I think I'd hate to be the one dealing with the phone calls :lol:  Although I'm sure they probably have great methods for dealing with the media and such and getting information out when they can.  I know at least at BOX they do a tremendous job getting updates out to the media at least every hour or so.  

I imagine these days go by insanely quickly for the forecasters, especially once the event gets underway.

Phones are easier out there than around here. Most of the time deal with public calling for inane forecast questions, like the high for tomorrow when we're issuing TORs. Out there you're actually getting reliable reports from spotters or chasers on the storms. So in a way it's a really important job to get that information to the warning forecaster.

NWSChat is easy to brief the media too, you can send one message and it reaches everyone, rather than talking to each station on the phone. It gets significantly more usage out there too (NWSChat originated at Iowa State for the IA offices).

The days do go by quickly. You know it's going to be a busy day, and everyone just settles in and does their job. It's like a sport without the athletic part, the good ones just get super focused. So what if you haven't had lunch yet, someone will bring you a Snickers and a Mountain Dew.

Phones are easier out there than around here. Most of the time deal with public calling for inane forecast questions, like the high for tomorrow when we're issuing TORs. Out there you're actually getting reliable reports from spotters or chasers on the storms. So in a way it's a really important job to get that information to the warning forecaster.

NWSChat is easy to brief the media too, you can send one message and it reaches everyone, rather than talking to each station on the phone. It gets significantly more usage out there too (NWSChat originated at Iowa State for the IA offices).

The days do go by quickly. You know it's going to be a busy day, and everyone just settles in and does their job. It's like a sport without the athletic part, the good ones just get super focused. So what if you haven't had lunch yet, someone will bring you a Snickers and a Mountain Dew.

OMG you've seriously gotten phone calls about high temps when there's a severe wx event going on?  :lmao:  

That's good to hear though its much easier out there than here...it probably would be a complete and total nightmare if they had to deal with crap.  

I'm sure NWSChat is a major saving grace for out west, anything to make a job easier when storms are firing and intensifying by the second.  

How's the office-to-office communication and such out that way?

OMG you've seriously gotten phone calls about high temps when there's a severe wx event going on?   :lmao:

That's good to hear though its much easier out there than here...it probably would be a complete and total nightmare if they had to deal with crap.  

I'm sure NWSChat is a major saving grace for out west, anything to make a job easier when storms are firing and intensifying by the second.  

How's the office-to-office communication and such out that way?

Really good in my opinion. The Upper Midwest had great inter-office relationships. They rotated offices each year that would host a science workshop. Shared lots of research. Spent lots of time on the phone coordinating hand offs of storms or storm surveys even.

I remember one event where tornadic storms were expected, and fired along the southern CWA border. We had a chaser on the storm and reporting the meso in LSX's area, even though the bulk of the storm was in DVN's. So after a quick conference call, LSX issued the TOR, and DVN issued the SVR for the other half of the storm as it rode the border. 

Really good in my opinion. The Upper Midwest had great inter-office relationships. They rotated offices each year that would host a science workshop. Shared lots of research. Spent lots of time on the phone coordinating hand offs of storms or storm surveys even.

I remember one event where tornadic storms were expected, and fired along the southern CWA border. We had a chaser on the storm and reporting the meso in LSX's area, even though the bulk of the storm was in DVN's. So after a quick conference call, LSX issued the TOR, and DVN issued the SVR for the other half of the storm as it rode the border. 

That's awesome!  I would have been really shocked if you had said it wasn't that great.  I would expect the relations to be phenomenal given what they have to do with.  For them to also hold a yearly conference and share research and such is amazing.  

Currently reading up on the relatively new method for forecasting tornado environments weeks in advance. I'm pretty sure the journal article is behind a paywall currently at AMS, but you can get tidbits from http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-college-of-dupage-prof-may-have-found-way-to-forecast-tornadoes-2-3-weeks-in-advance-20160304-story.html and http://weather.cod.edu/~vgensini/ertaf/

Vic is a smart guy doing some great work it seems. He was in the running at DVN when they hired me, and I'm not sure how the NWS let him slip away.

Checking his verification from last years experiment, it's quite promising. Hit 10 of 15 periods for week 3 forecasts, and didn't bust any (meaning his "wrong" forecasts just fell within 50% of normal error). There we no above average forecasts with below average tornadoes, and vice versa.

As if chaser convergence wasn't bad enough, image if they could have 3 weeks lead time to plan their vacations.

Well we can get an idea from ensembles through week 2. Week 3 is where it's at? We have weekly models too. Unless this is telling us more?

Well we can get an idea from ensembles through week 2. Week 3 is where it's at? We have weekly models too. Unless this is telling us more?

There definitely seems to be more to this than simply the mean patterns on the ensembles. It seems really akin to looking at MJO procession to correlate to temps around here in winter.

The signals are really strong strong in GOW phases 8, 1, and 2 for increased tornado activity (conversely strong negative correlation in 3, 4, 5).

I'm probably misquoting now, but I'm pretty sure he found no violent tornadoes during phase 3 in the entire 20 years of the study. That could be pretty valuable information. Really a way to marry the ensemble guidance with actually hard numbers on what usually results from the upcoming pattern. 

There definitely seems to be more to this than simply the mean patterns on the ensembles. It seems really akin to looking at MJO procession to correlate to temps around here in winter.

The signals are really strong strong in GOW phases 8, 1, and 2 for increased tornado activity (conversely strong negative correlation in 3, 4, 5).

I'm probably misquoting now, but I'm pretty sure he found no violent tornadoes during phase 3 in the entire 20 years of the study. That could be pretty valuable information. Really a way to marry the ensemble guidance with actually hard numbers on what usually results from the upcoming pattern. 

The patterns though are probably inherently shown in the models when there is higher or lower AAM, no? The GEFS from what I heard are also biased low AAM so might be high FAR.  I'm just not sure the benefit 3 weeks out. 

The patterns though are probably inherently shown in the models when there is higher or lower AAM, no? The GEFS from what I heard are also biased low AAM so might be high FAR.  I'm just not sure the benefit 3 weeks out. 

We'll see what this season brings with regards to FAR, but last season's test didn't appear to be significantly high FAR.

I think the big difference is convection tends to be more subtle forcing than winter storms, and to be able to have some statistically significant way to say activity will be higher or lower than normal is a big step in tornado forecasting. Up until this point, most seasonal or long range tornado forecasts have been pretty voodoo. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived