joxey
May 2016 Obs

Isopycnic

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New HWO...

WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-HARNETT-WAYNE-SCOTLAND-HOKE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-
HEAVY RAINFALL IS EXPECTED ACROSS PORTIONS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINATHIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT AS TROPICAL CYCLONE BONNIE STALLSNEAR OR JUST INLAND OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST. ISOLATED FLASHFLOODING WILL BE POSSIBLE.A BRIEF...ISOLATED TORNADO CANNOT BE RULED OUT FROM THE TRIANGLESOUTHWARD INTO THE SANDHILLS AND EASTWARD INTO THE COASTAL PLAINTHIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

Didn't realize I posted my obs yesterday in the Bonnie thread lol.

Picked 0.87 yesterday.

3.63 for the month. Only need a few more inches of rain for the wettest may ever. We still have today and tomorrow.

I forgot how dry Honolulu is during the summer.  The Hawaiian islands are interesting in that there are so many microclimates with the mountains and such.  You've got areas that get hundreds of inches of rain per year only a few miles away from areas that get fairly little (Honolulu gets ~17"/year, it appears).

---

Anyways, looks like we're at 1.63" in TLH for the month, which is about half of normal.  Looks like we may get some scattered thunderstorms later today, which may add to that, though.

April-May is usually pretty dry here (3.06" and 3.47" for each month, respectively), but we really start cranking it up next month as we average well over 7" of rain per month from June-August, which will be welcome considering the endless heat!  :pimp:

Sunday-Monday period was supposed to bring 2-3 inches of rain here in Va Beach according to forecasts. So far we had 0.2" which means that there is still some ground to make up. There is no drought in VA , we're actually above average with precipitation this spring.

I forgot how dry Honolulu is during the summer. The Hawaiian islands are interesting in that there are so many microclimates with the mountains and such. You've got areas that get hundreds of inches of rain per year only a few miles away from areas that get fairly little (Honolulu gets ~17"/year, it appears).

---

Anyways, looks like we're at 1.63" in TLH for the month, which is about half of normal. Looks like we may get some scattered thunderstorms later today, which may add to that, though.

April-May is usually pretty dry here (3.06" and 3.47" for each month, respectively), but we really start cranking it up next month as we average well over 7" of rain per month from June-August, which will be welcome considering the endless heat! :pimp:

Yeah we only average 17 inches of rain a year, while a 30 minute drive to the north side of the island, they average up to 200 inches of rain in a year. We are below average rainfall because in January-March which is part of rainy season(Oct-Mar) it barely rained here. June is our driest month with only 0.26 for the average. We've made up quite a bit of rainfall in the past few days setting daily rainfall records each day I believe except Friday.

Another thing, the windward side of the island is so green, lush, and beautiful with all the rain they get. We have sprinkler systems everywhere to keep the grass green on base.

Yeah we only average 17 inches of rain a year, while a 30 minute drive to the north side of the island, they average up to 200 inches of rain in a year. We are below average rainfall because in January-March which is part of rainy season(Oct-Mar) it barely rained here. June is our driest month with only 0.26 for the average. We've made up quite a bit of rainfall in the past few days setting daily rainfall records each day I believe except Friday.

Another thing, the windward side of the island is so green, lush, and beautiful with all the rain they get. We have sprinkler systems everywhere to keep the grass green on base.

That is cool.  I went with my family to Oahu and The Big Island (only a day there, though, the rest on Oahu) in 2002 when I was in fourth grade.  It was definitely an interesting geography and I don't remember the heat being too bad since it's moderated by the ocean.  I wouldn't mind living there.

Archived