joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1-20-16 Winter Storm

1234snow

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've got 4" in Indian Springs, and still snowing some...looks like its about over...nice first event of the year! I really enjoy reading all of the discussion on our board...can't even begin to describe how much I appreciate the Tennessee Valley forum and not having to deal with the previous forum!

It was nice to see the snow falling during the day--when it can actually be enjoyed.  Something very special--almost ethereal--about it.  I guess that's one reason so many here, including me, enjoy it so much, and want more of it.

For the record...unless it occurs at midnight, the models didn't do well on temps today.  I'm at 25.6F.  Short of the lower to mid 30's predicted.

I wonder if this system overachieved due to the fact that we were so cold last night. I had clear skies here still up till 11:30, and when I went to bed around 12:15, you could see clouds on the horizon just beginning to come in. The temp was 18 at that time, and the dew point was about 9 or so. Not too big of spread. When I woke up to check at 5, the temp had risen to 23, and DP was about 15. That was not a large spread to reach saturation. In fact, that 1st band was able to start snowing by 5:30 here at the house. Temp dropped to 19 at one point, but went up to about 20 and held steady for the first wave. That wave gave me about 1.5in. Wasn't that supposed to be Virga? I wonder if it wasn't because we started colder to begin with, so it was easier to saturate the airmass. If you take away the first wave I would have ended up with 3in which is what the forecast was for. Just something I've been wondering about in the back of my mind.

Big storms get the hype, but I would take a 2 or 3 of these a winter and be satisfied. Beautiful snow. Definitely an overachiever. Temps never really rose, and it has been snowing since 7am (besides a 30 minute break between waves). Still coming down lightly and have nearly 5 inches. Hopefully the bust of the temps is a good omen for the next storm.

Also, for a brief period this afternoon it seemed like some pingers mixed in, but they were more like ice chunks. Came down for a good clip for a minute. Literally looked like white rain with snow mixed in. Stay safe out there if on the roads.

It was nice to see the snow falling during the day--when it can actually be enjoyed.  Something very special--almost ethereal--about it.  I guess that's one reason so many here, including me, enjoy it so much, and want more of it.

For the record...unless it occurs at midnight, the models didn't do well on temps today.  I'm at 25.6F.  Short of the lower to mid 30's predicted.

It really was beautiful!  A rare treat to be sure.  I have friends who recently moved down here from Wisconsin who have always thought I was insane for actually WANTING snow.  They vowed that they would never, ever cheer for snow.  They posted on Facebook a little while ago how absolutely beautiful Tennessee snow was and how nice it was that it wasn't ridiculously cold.  I will make snow fans of them yet!  ^_^

I believe the 850 low moved in and saturated everything quickly. I had about 20 minutes of radar returns before the snow started here.

I wonder if this system overachieved due to the fact that we were so cold last night. I had clear skies here still up till 11:30, and when I went to bed around 12:15, you could see clouds on the horizon just beginning to come in. The temp was 18 at that time, and the dew point was about 9 or so. Not too big of spread. When I woke up to check at 5, the temp had risen to 23, and DP was about 15. That was not a large spread to reach saturation. In fact, that 1st band was able to start snowing by 5:30 here at the house. Temp dropped to 19 at one point, but went up to about 20 and held steady for the first wave. That wave gave me about 1.5in. Wasn't that supposed to be Virga? I wonder if it wasn't because we started colder to begin with, so it was easier to saturate the airmass. If you take away the first wave I would have ended up with 3in which is what the forecast was for. Just something I've been wondering about in the back of my mind.

Nice man, y'all got a good one!  What kinds of wood do you have stockpiled?

Here's one more slo-mo with Mrs. Stovepipe showing off on the trampoline:

Very cool.  The firewood is red oak and locust.  Have some silver maple(not in the pic) that I am keeping back until next season.  What you actually can see I hope to save until the next year or two.  The backside has the seasoned oak.  Use that in my wood stove fireplace insert. 

Archived