joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1-20-16 Winter Storm

1234snow

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke up to a nice covering here in Knoxville.  I'm very pleased that the initial band that streaked across to east TN overcame the dry air rather quickly.  At this point in time, the conditions are not unlike the 2014 storm where an inch or two fell at like 19 degrees and traffic conditions were horrible (I believe that was the crazy chatt/atlanta mess).  It's 23 here and the snow is very dry.  It'll be interesting to see if enough cold air stays trapped in this valley to keep it snow the rest of the day or if it converts to slop sooner rather than later.  Regardless, this is awesome.

It's moving quick,you should be just snow

This is very cool for sure. Have about 1.25 in with a steady snow. Temp is 20 degrees

I'm further south than you and pipe, I bottomed out at 18, then during the night temp rose to 25 when I woke at 6AM.  Staying steady at 25 since 6AM.  Heavier radar returns now finally on my doorstep.  Waiting for it to move over me.

I can see him getting close too. He's in perfect position for this one. He may get a little upslope enhancement with his position. Going to be a little break for those of us in the valley before the big stuff comes.

It may be a very short break...the distance between the trailing edge of the initial batch and the leading edge of the good stuff look to be only ~50 mi.

Edit: that's a bit of an IMBY post, but I'm thinking specifically about NE TN as a whole.

It may be a very short break...the distance between the trailing edge of the initial batch and the leading edge of the good stuff look to be only ~50 mi.

Your right on the money! Looks like a little band is coming and then about 50 miles to the big blob. This initial band really helped us out. I've still got 19 degrees. It will be hard to get to freezing. We squeezed out all we could this morning with the cold temps.

1c73153de809b72d784100371d1fe0b3.jpg

Archived