joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1-20-16 Winter Storm

1234snow

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The micro climates of east TN are fascinating in the winter. I'm at 24.4 about 6 miles east northeast of Sevierville.  I've had heavy sleet with snow mixture for the last hour, and now just switched to heavy snow.  While to my south in Pigeon Forge, a friend called and said they were having freezing rain. 

At this point...just glad to be missing the rain and back to snow.  :thumbsup:

Quick edit...snow really pouring now about 10 minutes before noon.  Temp holding at 24 here.  It's a winter wonder land.  :)

It's really cranking here too.  I measured an inch so far, a little surprised it hasn't piled up more with these rates.  It is indeed a winter wonder land!

It's really cranking here too.  I measured an inch so far, a little surprised it hasn't piled up more with these rates.  It is indeed a winter wonder land!

This system has been very interesting. I noticed this morning that Crossville had mainly ZR and little snow overnight...while we had snow.

Then just enough warm air worked into the upper levels to change the snow to sleet for a time here...while areas barely to my south were getting all freezing rain.  Now I have changed back to all snow.  It must be a nightmare to forecast winter weather in this area.  Between the Plateau and the Mountains..and all the ridges in between...it's a meteorologist's nightmare.... 

or Dream.  :)

Closing in on 2 inches here in Kingston. We have been in a heavy snow band for over an hour now and still coming down like crazy. (No 'tappering' here yet!) Temps up to 26.6.  I hope we hold steady at that the rest of the afternoon. I'm a happy camper so far and really enjoying my fuzzy slipper commute!

:snowwindow:

Closing in on 2 inches here in Kingston. We have been in a heavy snow band for over an hour now and still coming down like crazy. (No 'tappering' here yet!) Temps up to 26.6.  I hope we hold steady at that the rest of the afternoon. I'm a happy camper so far and really enjoying my fuzzy slipper commute!

:snowwindow:

Right on!  Glad you're enjoying it and may you not tapper for a good while longer!

Kudos to WATE channel 6.  They have had continuous coverage all morning long.  I'm sure some may be ticked off at missing their regularly programming though.  :whistle:  :thumbsup:

Did Hinkin acknowledge snow falling?  Where is my fainting couch...  :sled:

About to do some sledding with the kids!

Alcoa highway has just been closed.  TDOT cams show snow covered roads.  A real mess has developed traffic-wise with the heavy snow.  Temp still 24F here.  I don't see us getting into the mid to upper 30's as long as this heavy snow keeps falling.

But it's just an advisory!

30356ba0-8930-0132-1dd4-0a2c89e5f2f5.gif

But it's just an advisory!

Classic.  Yeah...not a big deal.  :whistle:

We've managed to get up to 24.6F now, and the snow continues.  Around two inches has fallen.  Even with the pre-treating the roads are a mess.  I'm not sure if pre-treating does any good when temps are this cold---and considering we have been below freezing for two days.

Just got to 6 inches, light to moderate snow now and it will probably wind down soon. 

Really surprised at this much of an overperformance. I usually cut model clowns by 30 percent or more, but none of them were giving enough for here. JKL expanded their winter storm warning as it became clear what was happening. Morristown did not for whatever reason. The entire Northern Plateau block has met winter storm warning criteria. Traffic is of course a complete disaster. As you left 1-2 inches of snow in Knox-Anderson and ran into 3-4 inches and near whiteout conditions as you entered Campbell County. Wrecks ensued in the North bound lanes and the interstate had to be closed from the CC border to the KY border.

Just got to 6 inches, light to moderate snow now and it will probably wind down soon.

Really surprised at this much of an overperformance. I usually cut model clowns by 30 percent or more, but none of them were giving enough for here. JKL expanded their winter storm warning as it became clear what was happening. Morristown did not for whatever reason. The entire Northern Plateau block has met winter storm warning criteria. Traffic is of course a complete disaster. As you left 1-2 inches of snow in Knox-Anderson and ran into 3-4 inches and near whiteout conditions as you entered Campbell County. Wrecks ensued in the North bound lanes and the interstate had to be closed from the CC border to the KY border.

There's been more than 1-2 inches in Knox and Anderson.

Archived