joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Spring - 2015 version

KamuSnow

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a misty sort of rain. :axe:  But at least it was enough to get some of the airborne pollen down, wet the street, and knock the temp down a bit.  The "gully washer" fizzled just as it came over us here but left enough to make it a slop bin out there.

Same here....no heavy shower or anything but a windy drizzle/light rain stuff.

Cut the numerous dandelions again, next time i am using a respirator. Lawn is a strange flannel looking patchwork of slightly growing(somehow) and dead grass, various weeds. Twilight zone stuff for May

Trying to imagine what it will look like if it stays dry for one more month

So the power line tree cutting people show up a month after a notice for it during a mega rain event and leave a sweet Marianas like 6" deep trench in the front lawn because they suck at driving are you friggin kidding me!

Sounds like Asplundh, who last fall, not only produced yard craters x10, but managed to total a $250K piece of their equipment when it tipped over along the sloped area between my sister's house and her neighbor's while driving the truck to the back to get to the power lines.  Then they spent all day trying to get another piece of equipment between the houses to upright the disabled truck and tow it away.  Needless to say, half the shrubs along her foundation on that side had to be removed by them to get the truck (driven a mere couple feet from her windows) used to grab the disabled truck and pull it upright enough to be dragged back out to the street by another truck (they are finalizing reimbursement).

:axe:

Chilly earlier this week. Had to burn a few small fires in the fireplace to take chill out of house. Amazing how persistent the NE fetch has been.

Had a pretty wicked storm roll through here around 2 pm. I even saw a bolt of lightning hit a channel marker in the middle of the harbor. Hope that was one of the markers without an osprey nest on it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I casually poke the dead stump on the lawn with a long walking stick the other day a couple times checking for consistency(the top is decaying into powdery wood. Was going to make a call woodsy planting container out of it by hallowing out the center. Out of the top flies a big hornet straight up. Stumbling away as fast as i could with a gimpy ankle i twisted the day before bee #2 comes out and makes a "bee" line at me and scores a direct hit on my held up for protection wrist.  Now it bee war

Don't think these are ordinary hornets either. Orange and yellow colored and huge and made their nest by tunneling which is atypical of hornets.

So I casually poke the dead stump on the lawn with a long walking stick the other day a couple times checking for consistency(the top is decaying into powdery wood. Was going to make a call woodsy planting container out of it by hallowing out the center. Out of the top flies a big hornet straight up. Stumbling away as fast as i could with a gimpy ankle i twisted the day before bee #2 comes out and makes a "bee" line at me and scores a direct hit on my held up for protection wrist.  Now it bee war

Don't think these are ordinary hornets either. Orange and yellow colored and huge and made their nest by tunneling which is atypical of hornets.

A photo would help with identification, but I suppose that's asking too much.

Archived