• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

The Friday storm looks to be on life support with large disagreements on the timing and magnitude of the upper level vorticity field. Latest Nam and Euro seem to hang on barely while the para and GFS kill it off. At least we have something wintry to discuss beforehand.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice writeup as usual for Iso, but there is still a lot of "IF the atmosphere does this(x) AS FORECASTED, we SHOULD see this(x)" in there. For whatever reason (pacific tropical forcing, etc), the atmosphere isn't behaving like expected. Until it happens, I will remain skeptical of it ever happening. Just like this past summer/fall waiting on a Nino   :P  No....I'm not saying winter is over...lol....after all, it's only mid Jan and we have about 5 wks left in our window.  It will just take threading that needle to get the job done without any blocking   ;)

Just 5 weeks to get in the best winter ever?  Man, this needle threading is tough, especially with old eyes.  I think perhaps those portals are still working at a July pace :)  You might want to launch a commando raid to close them down..... they are messing us all up, lol.  On the bright side, I had a wonderful cloudy day yesterday with ne wind and just short of cold temps, and today is gloriously foggy, winter drippy, with jacket temps, so I'm pretty happy with the weather, especially after just having it down to 13. Since it won't sleet every day, I've learned to enjoy the little things, lol. It wouldn't bother me if the sun never came out all winter :) Tony

Just 5 weeks to get in the best winter ever?  Man, this needle threading is tough, especially with old eyes.  I think perhaps those portals are still working at a July pace :)  You might want to launch a commando raid to close them down..... they are messing us all up, lol.  On the bright side, I had a wonderful cloudy day yesterday with ne wind and just short of cold temps, and today is gloriously foggy, winter drippy, with jacket temps, so I'm pretty happy with the weather, especially after just having it down to 13. Since it won't sleet every day, I've learned to enjoy the little things, lol. It wouldn't bother me if the sun never came out all winter :) Tony

:lol:  We should be pretty happy with the fall like weather this week  :hug: 

Light snow and flurries south of 85 on Thursday , per GSP boo-yah ! 15/16 thread winning!

Guess every once in a blue moon, it pays to be S of 85! March 2009 and now Jan16th!

I haven't been focusing on this but the 6z NAM does have this at hour 75:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F06%2Fnam_namer_075_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=06&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=075&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150113+06+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

.10-.25 just to my south! Temps support snow, would like to see what some hi-res models are showing! Time to un lock the thread and bring it home! As the ice melts tomorrow afternoon, it will be time to focus on this!! The Euro was horrible with this current event , so not worried it doesn't show much!

I think we get some flurries out of this....sadly the 84 hour NAM is about as believable as hour 384 on the GFS. 

Looks like for NC, didn't check everyone else in SE, but Saturday is the only day at or above normal. Moisture comes back Sunday with digging shortwave and it's below normal after its departure next week. JANUARY is gonna end up below normal temp wise up here, just a question of how much. Sitting at -3 temp departure at Greensboro.

For such a terrible pattern the models sure do want to give us a lot of close calls over the next 7-10 days. The 6z PARA is very close for Sunday/Monday and then next week.

Agreed! That 23rd storm on 6z GFS looks amazingly close to greatness and has alot of potential! I think it was there yesterday and don't know if Euro is showing it, but it looks like a long duration event, maybe 2 waves? Lots of precip!

Those drive bys like Sundays never do anything for Ga south of Gainesville, but now Goofy's 216 looks like something that could actually happen.  Another great day today, 42 and cloudy.  I'd love 2 dozen of these in mid summer, but if I can't have a high of 28 with sleet and snow today, this'll do great :)  T

Archived