• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

OUN has nice graphic up with their forecast.  In the I-44 corridor, they are looking at 1/4" to 1/2" of sleet followed by 2" to 4" of snow.  To the northwest of that, they are calling for a general 1" to 3" of snow, and to the southeast, they are calling for 1/10" of ice, 1/2" to 3/4" of sleet, and 2" of snow.  For the the Tulsa, NW Arkansas, and SE MO folks, you could probably extrapolate something similar for yourselves.  At this point, while plenty can still happen with the breakdown between ice, sleet, and snow, I'd like to think the models are pretty locked in on how much frozen precip is coming and for whom.     

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The start time is now delayed until early tomorrow morning around 4-6 am for most locations. This is a few hours later than what was showing 24 hours ago. I wonder if the later start allows the cold air to arrive early enough to minimize the fz rain/sleet. The cold front appears ahead of schedule as well.

The start time is now delayed until early tomorrow morning around 4-6 am for most locations. This is a few hours later than what was showing 24 hours ago. I wonder if the later start allows the cold air to arrive early enough to minimize the fz rain/sleet. The cold front appears ahead of schedule as well.

If it holds off until 6 am, this could be a serious mess.  Schools... and plenty of businesses, too... typically make the call to close for the day by 6 am.  If there is nothing frozen out there, most schools are going to open and we will end up in the same situation we were in a week ago Monday (and that Dallas was in last Friday) where heavy snow began just after school started so kids are in school, their parents are at work, and the roads are turning awful.  Then, schools are left debating how to get the kids home in such conditions and/or what to do if the parents aren't able to make arrangements for childcare for a kid getting home early.... and, if they hold the kids in school, they risk even worse conditions trying to get them home at the end of the day.       

We're under a Winter Storm warning ;

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 3 am Wednesday to 6 am CST
Thursday...

The National Weather Service in Springfield has issued a Winter
Storm Warning for snow... sleet and freezing rain... which is in
effect from 3 am Wednesday to 6 am CST Thursday. The Winter Storm
Watch is no longer in effect.

* Timing and areas affected... areas along and southeast of a line
from Kimberling City... to Marshfield to Salem from very late
tonight until early Thursday morning.

* Snow and sleet accumulations... a half inch or more of
sleet... along with 4 to 6 inches of snow will be possible
. The
heavier sleet accumulations will occur in the southern portions
of the warning area.

* Ice accumulations... a glaze to seven hundredths of an inch of
freezing rain will be possible.

* Winds and visibility... gusty north winds... combined with
moderate to at times heavy snow... will likely result in
visibility below one mile for much of the day on Wednesday.

I am curious as to the amount of snow on the map versus the precip grids. It looks a bit off to me... 

It's contaminated by sleet so the 'high' amounts are way overdone. The south movement of the snow/frozen line can be seen easily though.

All the local school districts have already announced they will be closed tomorrow... and, right on cue, the models immediately started backing way off on the potential for wintry precip. All these kids in Central OK may not even have any snow to play in on their day off.

Euro shifted to the SE, like all the other models have been doing. I think NW AR has the best chance of seeing the greatest amounts of frozen stuff in our area. SE of I-44 in OK and MO doesn't look too bad either... greatest amounts the farther east and south you go from I-44 though.

Not so fast on the bust in OK everyone.  HRRR and latest NAM (for what it's worth) have snow forming over the I-44 corridor in the state, with general 2-4" totals this afternoon.  Radar looks like it is starting to fill in SW of here.  I'm actually feeling good about this right now.

We'll see how I feel later this afternoon.....

Archived