Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KOLR 10 Meteorologist Jamie Warriner is going out on a limb saying 6-9" for far southern Missouri with this storm. Interesting...

I'm not going to say or suggest anything until tomorrow. Looks pretty exciting right now though.

I thought it was a bit earlier to be going so big... but what do I know?

Yeah it is, with a sharp cutoff on the northern side of the system, and a very track dependent kind of system, it's probably too early.

I could see those amounts being possible in maybe parts of SE MO and probably only then located in a mesoscale band.

Annnnnnnd back to the west goes the 00z Euro. I wonder what kind of ratios the snow would be with the temp hanging out in the mid 20's with -8 to -10 850 MB temps for up here? Maybe there will be more model agreement later today, doubt it though?

Do you have a map of the Euro??

Can't post Hires Euro maps due to licensing issues.

As far as QPF is concerned (not sure of ptype), from the 12z run to the 00z run....

Tulsa gained around 0.1", whatever area that is just south of Tulsa gained 0.3", OKC area looks to have gained 0.2" or so.

Joplin gained 0.2", F'ville gained about 0.4" and the rest of the NW AR metro area gained about 0.2"

The UKMET definitely uses a different snow algorithm on WxBell. I don't think it counts freezing rain (like the Euro) or sleet (like the GFS) Looks like a nice 2-4" of snow (10:1 ratio) for most everyone, including central OK, maybe an inch or two more across NW AR. 

I hope that GGEM is wrong, that sticks me right in the donut hole of nothingness once again lol. Though I would not be shocked the way things have tracked either too far south or too far north this season, minus the last one I just got plain stupid lucky on haha. Things look to get warmer for sure after that! Stuff will probly stick around(whatever falls) for a day at most.

What's your thinking JoMo(probly getting sick of us all bugging you by now huh man lol) you think this will be it for the season?

This is a very tricky situation. The setup is similar to the kind where we traditionally get some big snows. 4km NAM is very fascinating this morning. Think somebody in this situation gets a foot out of this thing... most likely just east of us (from Branson to Harrison).

Morning all, don't mean to barge in on your thread but wanted to post a couple thoughts about the upcoming system. The models for last weeks snow in the SE had some similarities to your upcoming storm. The NAM was much juicier & further N than any other model. When all was said and done it did quite well with qpf in some spots but busted in others. It's temps are another story. While as usual a blend of models is normally the best route with any winter system, imho I would not totally discount the NAM. SGF even mentions some of this in their latest AFD which is posted & highlighted below. I have a vested interest in SW MO WX as my Mom lives in Joplin. Good luck to you all & here's to a over performer!

Tonight is when the transition will begin. A cold air mass will
force a cold front through the entire area during the evening,
with temperatures eventually dropping below the freezing mark from
around 11 pm onward from northwest to southeast. Precipitation
will begin to expand overnight as upper level energy moves towards
the area from the northwest and a very strong upper level jet
intensifies. Initially a warm layer above freezing (800-700mb)
will be in place over the southeastern half of the CWA, but this
will be eroded in time as cold air moves in from the northwest. So
there may be an initial period of rain changing to freezing rain
then sleet and eventually snow along and south of I-44.

This transition line should push totally south of the area by late
morning Wednesday with all snow expected after that point. Models
continue to show drastic differences in the QPF fields with the
NAM remaining the most aggressive. All are showing pretty
substantial lifting from late tonight through Wednesday, and while
the NAM may be a significant outlier, I don`t want to completely
rule it out at this point.
All are expecting the highest
probability of accumulating snowfall along and southeast of the
I-44 corridor which is what we have been advertising and will
continue to do so. Still have lower confidence in specific amounts
at this time due to continued model differences, but given the
intensity of the dynamics, would not be surprised to see amounts
move towards what the NAM is suggesting.
Fly in ointment for this
time of year will be the higher sun angle we start seeing in March
and daytime snowfall is harder to accumulate because of this.

Well, there is still enough doubt on this that OUN is sticking with the Special Weather Statement for now.  It appears that Tulsa is doing the same for its Oklahoma counties.  I don't blame them.  Too many regular folks react to simply hearing the words "Advisory" or "Warning" without listening to the details or watching for updates so it is best... for now... to see if the 12z model suite agrees on more of the details, and then, issue advisories and/or warnings as appropriate.  I am still cautiously optimistic, but, as a true weenie, I can also see the all the ways this can turn into nothing very quickly.  LOL.          

Morning all, don't mean to barge in on your thread but wanted to post a couple thoughts about the upcoming system. The models for last weeks snow in the SE had some similarities to your upcoming storm. The NAM was much juicier & further N than any other model. When all was said and done it did quite well with qpf in some spots but busted in others. It's temps are another story. While as usual a blend of models is normally the best route with any winter system, imho I would not totally discount the NAM. SGF even mentions some of this in their latest AFD which is posted & highlighted below. I have a vested interest in SW MO WX as my Mom lives in Joplin. Good luck to you all & here's to a over performer!

Tonight is when the transition will begin. A cold air mass will

force a cold front through the entire area during the evening,

with temperatures eventually dropping below the freezing mark from

around 11 pm onward from northwest to southeast. Precipitation

will begin to expand overnight as upper level energy moves towards

the area from the northwest and a very strong upper level jet

intensifies. Initially a warm layer above freezing (800-700mb)

will be in place over the southeastern half of the CWA, but this

will be eroded in time as cold air moves in from the northwest. So

there may be an initial period of rain changing to freezing rain

then sleet and eventually snow along and south of I-44.

This transition line should push totally south of the area by late

morning Wednesday with all snow expected after that point. Models

continue to show drastic differences in the QPF fields with the

NAM remaining the most aggressive. All are showing pretty

substantial lifting from late tonight through Wednesday, and while

the NAM may be a significant outlier, I don`t want to completely

rule it out at this point. All are expecting the highest

probability of accumulating snowfall along and southeast of the

I-44 corridor which is what we have been advertising and will

continue to do so. Still have lower confidence in specific amounts

at this time due to continued model differences, but given the

intensity of the dynamics, would not be surprised to see amounts

move towards what the NAM is suggesting. Fly in ointment for this

time of year will be the higher sun angle we start seeing in March

and daytime snowfall is harder to accumulate because of this.

With input like that you can barge all you want. Thank you. What time is all of this supposed to start kicking off? Anyone know?

With input like that you can barge all you want. Thank you. What time is all of this supposed to start kicking off? Anyone know?

OUN has a decent graphic posted for their CWA.  You can extrapolate that out for your area.  It calls for wintry precip for an area the includes Clinton, Stillwater and OKC to start at around 3 am tomorrow morning and continue until 6 pm Wednesday.  If you extrapolate their graphic, that area would likely include Tulsa and points 30 or so miles north and south, continuing north an east.    

OUN has posted advisories for basically their entire CWA.  It sounds like they are still struggling a bit with how the sleet/snow/freezing rain will break down, which is to be expected.  They did say that, to the south of I-44 up to an inch of sleet is possible, and, in Central OK, the immediate I-44 corridor could see 2" to 4" of snow in addition to sleet.  They also stated that the likely transition time to freezing rain and sleet is daybreak tomorrow with a transition to snow and sleet starting around noon and, then, continuing into the evening.  They are saying the heaviest stuff should be coming down here between 3 pm and 9 pm.  

I am thinking this might be a worst case scenario for travelers:  Nothing frozen until most businesses/schools have made their decisions on whether to close or not.  Then, sleet, which doesn't melt nearly so quickly as individual snowflakes, falling during the middle of the day when the March sun would otherwise be quite vicious about melting snowflakes or freezing rain on many surfaces.  Finally, transitioning to mostly snow later in the afternoon just as the sun stops being a major factor and just in time for the evening rush to start.              

I think they are considering the ice with that and went ahead with the warning.

True, I cant think today! I guess all the sleet and zr after midnight, or whenever it changes over. Looks to be all snow tomorrow during the day but this high sun angle is gonna kill that quick with it being during the daytime.

Archived