Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is this stuff supposed to redevelop again later or is it finished for today?

Looks to be it of the heavier stuff, radar looks like its pushed off. I think tulsa said to expect a mix throughout the night but just very light sporadic stuff. Whats it doing there? Its all freezing rain and sleet now here, not sure I want to be out and about in ice lol. Wanted to take that hike but Im reconsidering it now. Forecast is really confusing for the next few days so maybe jomo can answer better.

Steady freezing rain here now at around 27.5 degrees. Not what I was hoping for.

i thought the freezing rain wasnm't going to happen until Sunday and then again the snow wasn't suppose to start here until after 3:pm but it has been snowing since before sunrise .  I guess the front most be moving faster than projected ?  I read here that it is supposed to reintencify this afternoon ....  Maybe Jomo will let us know what is happening in a bit .

i thought the freezing rain wasnm't going to happen until Sunday and then again the snow wasn't suppose to start here until after 3:pm but it has been snowing since before sunrise .  I guess the front most be moving faster than projected ?  I read here that it is supposed to reintencify this afternoon ....  Maybe Jomo will let us know what is happening in a bit .

He's farther south into OK/AR and it's expected to change faster down there. The models are kind of backing off on a second band near I-44, although the HRRR still has redevelopment of lighter precip that might be more of a freezing drizzle or sleet back in OK/AR/SW MO. 

He's farther south into OK/AR and it's expected to change faster down there. The models are kind of backing off on a second band near I-44, although the HRRR still has redevelopment of lighter precip that might be more of a freezing drizzle or sleet back in OK/AR/SW MO. 

Thanks for the update JoMo .    The snow here is still flexing back and forth from light to moderate .  Is moderate currently .  As for the mixed bag  I hope the freezing rain part doesn't accure as driving in that stuff is a nightmare . 

Light freezing rain here, has been since the last time I posted and went for my hike. Pics later, took some vids too and will stick those on youtube if they come out. A lot of the 5" of snow has compacted way down already to a few inches! Amazing. Thats the bad thing with getting snow this time of the year, its here then 30 minutes later it could be gone lol.

Looks to be it of the heavier stuff, radar looks like its pushed off. I think tulsa said to expect a mix throughout the night but just very light sporadic stuff. Whats it doing there? Its all freezing rain and sleet now here, not sure I want to be out and about in ice lol. Wanted to take that hike but Im reconsidering it now. Forecast is really confusing for the next few days so maybe jomo can answer better.

Sorry. Went out for awhile to listen to rabbit beagles run. It is just lightly drizzling here. Snow compacting is pretty bad here with the sleet and rain at the end there but I'm still looking at a solid 2.5 most everywhere I could measure. Got the sun going down now so at least we will get to look at the snow in the morning for awhile before it turns to crap. It's been as good of a winter day as a guy could hope for.

We have 3.6 " and is still snowing so we will measure again when it is done ..  We had a few bursts of heavy stuff (* We call it a Chicken feather snow ) today so I am quite happy .  

* Chicken Feather snow =   A number of years ago  the wife and I was driving from Florida through North Geogia at night and saw what I thought was really big snow flakes beginning to come down . And the farther I went the heavier they got . I excitedly kept telling my wife , " look look I can't believe how big them flakes are " . And my excitment grew when they began to really come  down ..... then of the sudden we caught up with the sourse of the " Snowflakes as big as chicken feathers "  Tractor trailer with a huge load of  white chickens with feathers flying everywhere  :bag: !   The wife and I had a big laugh afterward .  :santa:

We have 3.6 " and is still snowing so we will measure again when it is done ..  We had a few bursts of heavy stuff (* We call it a Chicken feather snow ) today so I am quite happy .  

* Chicken Feather snow =   A number of years ago  the wife and I was driving from Florida through North Geogia at night and saw what I thought was really big snow flakes beginning to come down . And the farther I went the heavier they got . I excitedly kept telling my wife , " look look I can't believe how big them flakes are " . And my excitment grew when they began to really come  down ..... then of the sudden we caught up with the sourse of the " Snowflakes as big as chicken feathers "  Tractor trailer with a huge load of  white chickens with feathers flying everywhere  :bag: !   The wife and I had a big laugh afterward .  :santa:

I bet the closer you got to the 'snow' the worse the 'snow' smelled as well.  :bike:

I bet the closer you got to the 'snow' the worse the 'snow' smelled as well.  :bike:

Actually I did not smell them much at all until we pulled up behind the trailer . I guess that was because the car  windows were shut .   They must of been stacked twelve feet high in open caged metal crates . With outside temp being near 30° one would think the chickens arrived at there destination freshly frozen . :)

Still some light snow with occasional sleet here.

You know what I like about cloudy nights with fresh fallen snow? I like how it's almost like daylight outside and you can see everything. It's one of the most peaceful and serene moments.

Very light freezing mist coming down .   I too love the tranquility that a night like tonight .  That and the morning after a snow cause it makes such beautiful pictures . The springfield radar is showing a bit more snow to arrive here shortly .  The update weather alert is calling for just a glaze of ice and about an inch of snow by the AM tomorrow . The temp is slowly rising  here . My weather Station is showing 27° .                       

Light freezing rain here steady for the last 2 hours going on 2 tenths Of ice on top of my nice snow. Ice is on the trees and it's getting thicker. Roads are a mess. Lucky for me I get to stay home

Thats how its been here too, the trees have a thick glaze now and the snow is like got that shiny crunchy ice look to it. Is neat but the roads are just bad bad. My temp is on the climb here, an hour ago it was 28.7 now its 29.6....pretty soon it will all be melting and slush or just a mud pit :(

So, here's the deal with the cold frontal passage on Tues night/Wednesday.

A pretty strong cold front will push back through the area Tues night into Wed ahead of a pretty strong trough attempting to eject out from the Baja/SW. The end result is probably precip behind the front. There will probably be a mix behind the front, with snow farther north. The Euro and most, but not all, of the ensemble members are pretty robust on precip development and resulting frozen precip amounts. The GFS and GGEM are not as robust.

The most likely area of mixed precip and snow is south of I-44 from OK into MO with the greatest chances probably across Arkansas. The Euro ensembles range from hardly anything, to a lot of frozen precip, with the majority of the members centering on Arkansas. 

Archived