joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just peeked at HPC WWD grids, they've got 0.50" to 0.75" ice for basically KIZG to KLEW tonight/tomorrow, with a 70% chance of 0.25" or greater in that same area. That's using a 12z NAM thermal field and model consensus QPF. Sounds pretty reasonable other than I would shift that area east 25 to 50 miles.

:yikes: May have to pull the generator out

:yikes: May have to pull the generator out

I'm thinking just to your NW could get it pretty good, like Streaked Mt. area.

Also, 21z SREF just dumped out to 30 hrs. Increase in both area and magnitude of ZR probs. Still think their resolution is forcing the probs too far N, but overall I agree with the trend. Conversely, the 00z NAM is a degree or two warmer at 2 m for tomorrow.

I'm thinking just to your NW could get it pretty good, like Streaked Mt. area.

Also, 21z SREF just dumped out to 30 hrs. Increase in both area and magnitude of ZR probs. Still think their resolution is forcing the probs too far N, but overall I agree with the trend. Conversely, the 00z NAM is a degree or two warmer at 2 m for tomorrow.

Turner/Buckfield definitely, A little elevation goes a long way

We are leveling out at 28.2F here at Lyndon State. Dewpoint 24.5F so we will be able to start off snow. However, I wouldn't doubt a perlong period of Freezing Rain especially after 3 am. I could see 0.1-0.2" of Ice North of St. Johnsbury. I noticed they closed East Burke Town School for Freezing Rain. Interesting call I must say!

We are leveling out at 28.2F here at Lyndon State. Dewpoint 24.5F so we will be able to start off snow. However, I wouldn't doubt a perlong period of Freezing Rain especially after 3 am. I could see 0.1-0.2" of Ice North of St. Johnsbury. I noticed they closed East Burke Town School for Freezing Rain. Interesting call I must say!

Yeah snow may be limited to 1" then a prolonged period of ZR. We may flip earlier to plain rain with slightly warmer temps. Hopefully we wet bulb to 27ish when precip begins.

But 0.10-0.25" of ice is very possible, especially around lyndonville up through island pond, and from like 800ft to 1,500ft.

Winter Storm Warnings just extended to Androscoggin and Kennebec Counties in Maine. NWS GYX calling for 1-2 inches of Snow and 0.25-0.5" of Ice.

I didn't see much of a reason to hold off any longer. Whether AUG and WVL specifically see those conditions is still unsure, but the NW parts of the counties will surely see significant impacts.

You can see the leading edge of the CC melting ring getting beaten back to the south (in York County, ME) as wet bulb cooling flips things to snow initially. However, a little more concentrated push of warm air aloft seems to be working in from Strafford County, NH. That should be where the changeover really takes place. Now how far NE that makes it is the question.

I was way off on my visual out the window in the dark estimation.... actual at home was 0.6" of super saturated snow. No sign of any icing and 34F.

Up at 1,550ft I've got 1.2" with a mix of sleet and rain falling. Pretty good thick sub-freezing layer over head though based on our current Mansfield readings:

3,600ft...27F

2,635ft...29F

2,400ft...31F

1,550ft...33F

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.17” L.E.

Snow had started up last night by 10:45 P.M., and I measured 0.6” of accumulation on the snowboard before I headed off to bed by midnight or so. I heard some ticks of sleet in the 2 to 3 A.M. range as that started to mix in, and this morning the precipitation had changed over to rain. I pulled 0.14” of liquid coring the slush on the snowboard, and the rain gauge contained 0.17” of liquid, so most of the precipitation from this event was still on the board. The next round of snow is supposed to come in this evening with the back side of the system, and the NWS point forecast is calling for 1-3” here.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.3

Snow Density: 23.3% H2O

Temperature: 36.5 F

Sky: Rain

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Rain. 33. Second storm I've been here that the cold has been scoured out quicker than forecast.

Looks like maybe an inch of snow.::just a guess though

It just wasn't all that cold to begin with... most sites went above freezing in the partly sunny skies yesterday afternoon, then it cooled off some, but it wasn't like we were sitting upper teens at the sfc as this moved in.

What's interesting is the air is taking its sweet time getting scoured out at 2-4k feet.

Still sitting 29F at 3,600ft and 30F at 2,600ft with fairly significant glazing in progress right now in that 3000-4000ft range.

Archived