joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concur. absolutely RIPPING heavy heavy flakes downtown right now.

Can barely the lake from 3rd story on battery street.

Not that this will accumulate down here. Surfaces are wet.

well that stopped.

I'm assuming classic "no snow in BTV, snow in the mountains" effect has been put in place.

Mid 20s with ZR at AUG. I haven't been out since 7:30, but those who have report icy walking.

Got 5.0" IMBY yest, with 0.54" LE. High temp was 21 and it was all flakes (though small ones), so even 9:1 stuff moved easily. Maybe an inch or two more this evening with the front/ULL, then perhaps our first double-digit negative Sun morning - it's almost like winter!

Event totals: 3.8” Snow/0.35” L.E.

There was an additional tenth of an inch of snow on the snowboard this morning; it was again fairly dense, coming in at a synoptic-like 10% H2O similar to what we received during the day yesterday. I’ve updated the north to south list of snow totals to the latest values I’ve seen reported by the Vermont ski areas. It’s been a little tricky with regard to the 24/48-hour snow totals, but in general accumulations seem to be around a half a foot up and down the spine:

Jay Peak: 7”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 7”

Suicide Six: 6”

Pico: 7”

Killington: 7”

Okemo: 6”

Bromley: 5”

Magic Mountain: 6”

Stratton: 7”

Mount Snow: 6”

I have been very confused by some of the ski area snowfall reports in this area today.... I figured that Bolton and Smuggs on the west side sort of downslope on a SE flow, and they reported 5" as of yesterday afternoon. Then this morning, Smugg's 24 hour total on Ski Vermont was listed as 3" and Jeffersonville Co-Op at the base area had like 1.7".

Then Bolton Valley that reported 4-5" changed their report this morning to this (which is on their website and says 2" past 24 hours):

Updated Friday, January 13th at 3:15 PM

We received 2" of fresh snow as of this morning and it should continue periodically in the next few days, leading up to a weekend of solid skiing and riding here at Bolton Valley."

So did Bolton and Smuggs only get 2-3" or was it 5" plus 2-3"? It is very odd to see both of those resorts sort of back-track on their snowfall accumulations. J.Spin, do you have any inside info on what Bolton has recieved so far this storm?

Edit nevermind, I'm an idiot. Their storm total is also 5-7" in the past 72 hours. Same as us. That makes sense. 24 hours ago is when the dryslot moved in so they probably picked up 2" today.

Awesome borderwx!

Upslope is really starting to rip. I'm right on the edge of the downslope drying here in town, but the mountain is getting crushed along with the western slopes.

I-89 through Bolton looks fun right now.

The lower angle radar loop really shows where this is taking place... right on the spine and western slope. I'm getting steady light snow but I can see a wall of whiteout type white off to my west. The ski mountain on the zig-zag county line is getting smoked.

Man it is just dumping snow. Great snow growth over the past hour. Friends at the top of the mountain report heavy, heavy snow.

This was out the windshield as I was leaving the ski resort around 2:30pm during some 1-2"/hr snowfall mixed with some wind. Whiteout conditions up there in the high country.

Even BTV has been reporting 1/2 mile moderate snow this evening...

Moisture is just getting wrung out by the Spine right now. This could be one of those bigger upslope events with an axis of 12" or so just from this part of the storm. But then again, it could just dry up and stop at any point. You never really know with these things.

Even BTV has been reporting 1/2 mile moderate snow this evening...

Moisture is just getting wrung out by the Spine right now. This could be one of those bigger upslope events with an axis of 12" or so just from this part of the storm. But then again, it could just dry up and stop at any point. You never really know with these things.

Yeah these are the kinds of setups that I really like. They can overperform and they have a low risk of busting since you have a sizable area of synoptic lift thanks to strong upper level forcing and then you have the meso/micro scale orographic lift that can wring out the moisture and produce localized areas of stronger UVM in the SGZ.

I think there will be a nice area of 12"+ on the spine when all is said and done.

You left just as it really started coming down!

LOL... I was fried. Skied a lot today and after starting up there around 5am, I'm plenty ready to get out by 2:30. I gotta save something in the tank for tomorrow ;)

Were you up there today? I have a funny feeling I'm going to arrive to a lot of snow on the snow board at 5am tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a good test of the location though with the fluffy snow and gusty winds. It may not be sheltered enough in the hardwood forest. The 3,000ft one is better sheltered than the one at the base because of the dense evergreens all around up at 3kft.

Eitherway, tomorrow should be a good one as long as we don't have any wind holds.

Yeah these are the kinds of setups that I really like. They can overperform and they have a low risk of busting since you have a sizable area of synoptic lift thanks to strong upper level forcing and then you have the meso/micro scale orographic lift that can wring out the moisture and produce localized areas of stronger UVM in the SGZ.

I think there will be a nice area of 12"+ on the spine when all is said and done.

Yeah I feel a lot better about this one now that its organized and going. They are incredibly tough to forecast but you are right, anytime there's synoptic lift along with the low level orographic lift, that's when these things really go to town. Its like enhancing a deformation band right over the mountains and western slopes.

I love how when you watch it on radar you can actually see the moisture backing upstream as it gets blocked by the mountains and it starts snowing progressively further west with each radar scan.

It would be brutal to live on the eastern side of Lake Champlain in NY during these events. Watching even the valley on the west side getting sustained 20-25dbz with great snow growth while you are looking at partly cloudy skies. Base reflectivity obviously does not "see" into the mountains very well, but when you get that N-S oriented band of snowfall that just sits there on the base radar, you know its dumping eastward over the Spine.

So did Bolton and Smuggs only get 2-3" or was it 5" plus 2-3"? It is very odd to see both of those resorts sort of back-track on their snowfall accumulations. J.Spin, do you have any inside info on what Bolton has received so far this storm?

Edit nevermind, I'm an idiot. Their storm total is also 5-7" in the past 72 hours. Same as us. That makes sense. 24 hours ago is when the dryslot moved in so they probably picked up 2" today.

Yeah, you got it PF, Bolton had 5” yesterday, then the Dryslot, and then 2” more today by some point this morning. So that’s at least 7, but with the way the western slopes are getting hammered, I’m sure it’s more than that now. It is sometimes tough figuring out what’s gone on with all the resort’s snow reports, when I try to put the summary lists together, but I just do the best I can with what seems to make sense. We’ve actually been getting hit pretty hard with snow here in the Burlington area; I’m on the bus right now and it’s nonstop talk by all the drivers as they share which roads are doing the best – we’re actually taking Route 2 right now as recommended by some of the other drivers because I guess there are issues on French Hill on I-89. It should be nice as this moisture crashes into the wall of the Greens:

13JAN12A.gif

Event totals: 6.7” Snow/0.70” L.E.

Traveling through Burlington and Williston this evening, it was really snowing with big flakes, but once we got east of the mountains that really tapered off. It was hardly snowing when I arrived at the Waterbury Park and Ride – my car had just a crusty layer from the mixed precipitation with only about ¾” of fluff on it. The intensity of the snowfall picked up substantially just driving a couple west miles into the mountains though, and I found 2.9” of snow on the snowboard at the house. The snow that was falling was quite dry, but the slush on the bottom of the core (from the mixed precipitation earlier today) brought the density up to 12.1% H2O for the whole sample. At the time I cleared the board, the flakes weren’t all that big, and the snowfall rate was only moderate or so, but over the past half hour it has really been coming down with big, upslope-style flakes – by watching it accumulate on the snowboard I can see that it is falling at a rate of around 2”/hr. I checked out the radar and there’s a large area of 30 db echoes running into this part of the spine:

13JAN12C.gif

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 2.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.35 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.3

Snow Density: 12.1% H2O

Temperature: 26.2 F

Sky: Moderate Snow

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

by watching it accumulate on the snowboard I can see that it is falling at a rate of around 2”/hr.

Actually, that estimate was a little low; I just checked, and 2.8 inches of snow fell in the past hour. That's pretty intense snowfall, even for here in upslope country.

The live scanner feeds from VT are nuts right now.

http://www.radiorefe.../audio/?stid=50

I-89 Sounds like a mess right now.

UNITS ON SCENE OF AN MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT WITH PIN, JAWS OF LIFE TO WORK, DHART DENIED DUE TO WEATHER [VMT013]

I-89 Stopped Traffic

Between Exit 11: US 2 (7 miles south of the South Burlington area) and Exit 13: I-189 (South Burlington). Traffic is stopped. Traffic is slow. Look out for numerous accidents.

http://511.vermont.gov/main.jsf

I so miss living up there. Spent 5 years in Burlington and Waterbury and moved back to CT 2 years ago. I did get to experience the Valentines day blizzard at least.

Enjoy it.

Archived