joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spectacular colors! And your exclamation just happens to be the initials of our new grandson, born 1:50 CST this morning by emergency C-section.

Hey, congrats, Grandpa! :oldman:;)

Just kiddin'. Not on the congratulations part--that was real, lol.

Here's what I saw when I opened my eyes.

(I get up at ~4:30)

:lol: I slept in this morning a bit...but even when I don't, I don't get up at 4:30!

Dumping snow here. Already pushing an inch.

Great shots of the Kitchen Wall, Powder. One of these days I'll get back over to Mansfield. Been years since I skied Stowe but those pics make me want to get over there again, ticket prices be-damned. Wind-blown is one of my favorite snow types to ski in. Always seem to stick my turns in that stuff.

Spectacular colors! And your exclamation just happens to be the initials of our new grandson, born 1:50 CST this morning by emergency C-section. Mom & young'un doing okay, and we're headed out starting tomorrow morning to help with the 3 girls etc, 1,300 miles over 2 days. Decatur (IL) had 83 yesterday, with 52 mph gust at the airport - family lives less than a mile from there. Lots of 60s-low 70s (and convection) progged for there over the next 10 days.

Congrats on the little one! :thumbsup:

No flakes on the waterfront ... just some rain sprinkles. Time for spring on the coastal plain.

A rather gloomy day down here on the valley floor in Hanover. It actually snowed pretty hard even here at 500' for a while this morning. I'd say there was a slushy inch on campus/in town this morning but fading away now.

Cool, raw and nasty out though.

Raincheck for skiing this Sat? pending weather.

Sorry man, didn't see this part earlier--not sure about next weekend, though. I've been skiing a lot lately (always a good thing) but I've been slacking on some responsibilities which I feel like I should get back to (working on the house, etc.).

$10.00 all-day ticket is hard to pass up though! I'll let ya know...

44 deer too, that's mighty impressive. Like Powder said, I've never seen anywhere near that many at once. Photo?

I have never ever seen that. Awesome shot

You should submit this to weatherwise magazines photo contest. They love interesting stuff like this and you can win great prizes. I submitted a photo several years ago and won grand prize and a free tornado chase. The car picture is definately unique and I think you could win something with it!

Gene

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.43” L.E.

Monday 4/4/2011 6:00 P.M. update: Snow started around 8:00 A.M. in Burlington this morning, and probably around 8:30 A.M. at the house based on what I saw on the web cam. It was at times a driving snow in Burlington that was very impressive, and it even started to accumulate a bit in town. The accumulation topped out at 1.1 inches here at the house, and when I took my 6:00 P.M. observations it had settled down to roughly the ½ to ¾-inch range. Some rain fell after the snow, and while I pulled 0.24” of liquid out of the snow core, there was 0.43” in the rain gauge so apparently it wasn’t all held in the snow. As Powderfreak said, the snowpack at the Mt. Mansfield stake increased to 100” with this event, that’s always a nice benchmark to reach. The Mt. Mansfield point forecast shows snow chances through Wednesday of this week, then a break, and then more chances at the end of the weekend heading into next week.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.43 inches

Temperature: 37.0 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 17.0 inches

Yikes its warm at the mountain this morning...

At 5:30am it was 39F at my place in the village (Morrisville-Stowe Airport sat all night at 37-39F), and by the time I went down the road a few miles and up 700ft to 1,500ft the temperature up here at the base was 51F! Summit hit 50F it looks like briefly as H85 temps spiked to near +10C.

Snow loss is unknown at this point.

Wow, the Greens are doing their work again this morning. Pushing 60F in Rutland and we're stuck in the mid-30s over here.

Had 1.8" of snow yesterday and then some showers overnight.

117.1" for the season now. Can I get a 120"??? ;)

Snowpack still at 23" at the house. Lots of mush....

Wow, the Greens are doing their work again this morning. Pushing 60F in Rutland and we're stuck in the mid-30s over here.

Had 1.8" of snow yesterday and then some showers overnight.

117.1" for the season now. Can I get a 120"??? ;)

Snowpack still at 23" at the house. Lots of mush....

Ha, yeah... at 1,500ft we've fallen from 51F at 5:30am to 40F at 8:30am. Cold front just passed here as winds went WNW and temps are plummeting.

You may spike up a bit as the front passes when the cold air at the surface mixes out... but maybe not, I keep waiting for MVL to spike but its holding pretty steady at 37-41F.

A far cry from the heavy snow and blizzard conditions from yesterday...

IMG_4729_edited-1.jpg

This was during the heaviest snow yesterday... its 10am and incredibly dark out. Visibility was quite low as you can see. I'm going to miss these days this summer. Luckily we can do it all over again starting next October, haha.

IMG_4741_edited-3.jpg

So this is neat. Just snapped this a few minutes ago.

200668_10150148145800718_517545717_7062854_279379_n.jpg

lol...I couldn't believe when I went outside later and saw the same exact thing on my truck. I wish I saw it a little earlier because it was beginning to melt when Lisa took that pic for you.

Anyways...what a brutal temp gradient right now. I was hoping to wake up this morning to 50s here, but instead it is 36F here while Salem basks at 61F.

What exactly do you do up there? Operations? Patrol?

You are livin' the life. Manky 56F here in the tropics

My job

Tim Kelley made this little clip yesterday... and by "blogging" Tim is referencing back when I was in college I was a paid by Hearst Argyle Television stations, writing ski and ride forecasts for their affiliate stations in Boston, Manchester, Portland, and Burlington. I used to do a lot more actual forecasting a few years back (still can't believe they actually paid me to write about snow conditions and weather), but now I think I have it even better... getting paid 8 hours a day to ski around, check out conditions, take photos & video, and generally be the go-to person at the resort for anything weather or snow related. I am technically a marketing employee but I am based out of our Mountain Operations building.

The other fun thing about this job is that it is the one position that will get you into the decision-making circle (VPs, directors, etc) at this resort, as I am in constant communication with the two VPs and CEO regarding how weather is going to affect our operations. I'm also the first person here at the mountain in the morning (literally the first, I turn on the lights) so I need to assess any situation that has come up overnight or any weather that will impact our operations. Then our two VPs usually call on their drive in to get updated on the day's operations... on "weather event" days we discuss the need to reduce ticket rates, etc. We also have a daily meeting at noon that includes all of the directors and mountain operations managers, and basically we just discuss conditions, snowmaking & grooming plans over the next 24 hours, snow management, any issues with lifts, etc.

In general, it is a heck of a lot of fun for a weather nut like myself to have a paid job where all I do is monitor the weather, check snow stakes, and watch the snow fall all winter long.

My job

Tim Kelley made this little clip yesterday... and by "blogging" Tim is referencing back when I was in college I was a paid by Hearst Argyle Television stations, writing ski and ride forecasts for their affiliate stations in Boston, Manchester, Portland, and Burlington. I used to do a lot more actual forecasting a few years back (still can't believe they actually paid me to write about snow conditions and weather), but now I think I have it even better... getting paid 8 hours a day to ski around, check out conditions, take photos & video, and generally be the go-to person at the resort for anything weather or snow related. I am technically a marketing employee but I am based out of our Mountain Operations building.

The other fun thing about this job is that it is the one position that will get you into the decision-making circle (VPs, directors, etc) at this resort, as I am in constant communication with the two VPs and CEO regarding how weather is going to affect our operations. I'm also the first person here at the mountain in the morning (literally the first, I turn on the lights) so I need to assess any situation that has come up overnight or any weather that will impact our operations. Then our two VPs usually call on their drive in to get updated on the day's operations... on "weather event" days we discuss the need to reduce ticket rates, etc. We also have a daily meeting at noon that includes all of the directors and mountain operations managers, and basically we just discuss conditions, snowmaking & grooming plans over the next 24 hours, snow management, any issues with lifts, etc.

In general, it is a heck of a lot of fun for a weather nut like myself to have a paid job where all I do is monitor the weather, check snow stakes, and watch the snow fall all winter long.

Scott fantastic video, ripping it up! Tell us about the fortuitous chair lift.

And by the way... it is snowing and blowing. The wind is just incredible right now. The noise is a steady roar and we haven't seen wind like this in a long time. Winds are much higher than forecast. Around 10:30am a total of 5 lifts went on wind hold pretty much all at the same time... even the base area transfer gondola went on hold here at 1,500ft as our sensors were showing sustained 35mph wind funnelling out of Smugglers Notch. Sustained at 35mph is pretty good for this elevation.

Ski Patrol reported a change to snow at 3,600ft at 9:30am... the snow level hit the base area (1,500ft) at 9:50am. It has been snowing steadily since then but was pretty wet, 2-3 mile visibility snow. Temps have finally dropped enough that we are now getting some visibility reductions... its probably at 1 mile or so. Only a trace on old snow at this point.

No idea on summit snowfall because wind has shut down pretty much all of our lifts... but they probably have a half inch or so as they are down to 28F.

Scott fantastic video, ripping it up! Tell us about the fortuitous chair lift.

I just happened to ride up the lift with the VP of marketing here... he knew who I was and said he read all my ski weather forecasts. He seemed to be a fan and invited me into the office to talk... I took him up on the offer to talk (was in college at the time) and Stowe started using a lot of my photos for marketing not long after that. I'm always at the mountain anyway, so he offered me a job as a snow reporter to get my foot in the door. So after college I started working here and this is my 3rd winter on the payroll, but 7th winter on the mountain.

Archived