• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pattern Changing: Early December threats?

ORH_wxman

Highly anomalous setups do not mean bad solutions...you guys have got to get last winter out of your head. Feb 1969 was a highly anomalous setup and A chunk of eastern NE got 5 feet in 3 weeks. Dec 1992 was a highly anomalous setup with a blocked flow...that turned out well for many in the interior. Highly anomalous setups can be quite beneficial and deliver good storms. Last year we managed to get close misses in excruciating fashion, but that will happen once in every 3 blue moons, they come in all shapes and sizes.

Will, The first good snowfall and it will be a distant memory............

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS is at it again with that big retrograding solution....it looks uncannily like Dec 5-6, 1981.

Come to think of it, wasn't Dec 1981 on the analogs for awhile? hmmmm....:lol:

In all seriousness, what a weird pattern showing up. Its so far out, its not worth really discussing the exact solutions excpet in a joking manner, but crazy blocked flow.

We had a very good block going yesterday and it didn't buy us squat unfortunately - in terms of snow. We wondered how a -PNA and a -NAO would affect sensible wx. Maybe in mid winter the result would be different.

18z GFS is at it again with that big retrograding solution....it looks uncannily like Dec 5-6, 1981.

In all seriousness, what a weird pattern showing up. Its so far out, its not worth really discussing the exact solutions excpet in a joking manner, but crazy blocked flow.

At least the Grinch Storm held off until Dec 27 last year. I'd rather have it then than anywhere between 12/22 and 12/25. Hopefully we avoid it all together this year.

It's even worse with snow on the ground. There was actually a little light snow on Christmas Night last year, that mixed with a little rain by the time I came back to BOS.

Who am I to talk....I've been so fortunate over the last 3 Decembers.

The worst grinch storm was Christmas 2005. Cold drenching rain and 30s out here on top of 6 inches of old snow. That technically made it a white Christmas, but very ugly.

That rain may have held off until a little later over in E. NE.

It's even worse with snow on the ground. There was actually a little light snow on Christmas Night last year, that mixed with a little rain by the time I came back to BOS.

Who am I to talk....I've been so fortunate over the last 3 Decembers.

Wow you're not kidding. Almost scary...lol.

I wouldn't mind a replay of that wacky retro low from early January, but this is a month earlier and you have to worry about having all that marine air (with SST's 10F higher still) wrapped back into it.

As long as you're not getting screaming ne winds, you're fine. What it would likely do, is push the snow/sleet line further west.

Highly anomalous setups do not mean bad solutions...you guys have got to get last winter out of your head. Feb 1969 was a highly anomalous setup and A chunk of eastern NE got 5 feet in 3 weeks. Dec 1992 was a highly anomalous setup with a blocked flow...that turned out well for many in the interior. Highly anomalous setups can be quite beneficial and deliver good storms. Last year we managed to get close misses in excruciating fashion, but that will happen once in every 3 blue moons, they come in all shapes and sizes.

of course you are right

i apologize for my irrational fears , last year was very scarring for me, :lol:

and you are right, it was once in a blue moon

of course you are right

i apologize for my irrational fears , last year was very scarring for me, :lol:

and you are right, it was once in a blue moon

It will be quite the amount of time passing before we see a miller b screw sne and dump on the MA, NYC getting 20" of snow and rain in the Berks, and a storm passing near and se of ACK in March with all rain for ORH.

18z gfs ensembles are continuing the development and retrograde as well. I wish this was hr 120 and not 240.

Ha, yeah. There's absolutely no way this works out but just thinking about how odd-ball the whole situation is, it is certainly something that sparks the imagination in a how-cool-would-that-be sort of way. The spatial coverage of rather significant precipitation is huge on these runs, too.

Archived