joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/22-1/24 Cold Temperatures

weatherMA

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing will compare to the combo of wind and cold back in Jan of '04.

This is correct and what I was pointing Ryan to earlier. We had a week of several records locally as opposed to the 09 cold which I really do not remember and does not show up beyond a couple days for BDR. 04 was an unbelievable stretch. I was a senior in high school and had a couple days off because of frozen pipes or insufficient heating. They were afraid the little ones would freeze outside on the below zero mornings, too.

yeah i think there were also a lot of -10 to -15Fs in jan 04 too.

Sad I don't remember that too well, but I do remember in Jan '05 right before the blizzard it was very very cold.

in '96 I remember because it was -18 at the house in N Attleboro, Foster RI was -29...I drove to school that AM and at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru the window wouldn't roll up. Then couldn't open car door to get out when I got to school, first dose of adult winter reality.

Nothing will compare to the combo of wind and cold back in Jan of '04.

In 118 years Farmington has recorded only 8 days with maxima -6 or colder. Jan 14 and 15, 2004 (-8,-6) are in that group. On 1/14 my afternoon high was -11, but it had been -7 at my 9 PM (13th) obs time so that goes as the recorded max. Because of the wind, minima were not recordbreaking; I got 13F colder in 2009 (with the same daily mean as the coldest of 2004.)

Sad I don't remember that too well, but I do remember in Jan '05 right before the blizzard it was very very cold.

in '96 I remember because it was -18 at the house in N Attleboro, Foster RI was -29...I drove to school that AM and at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru the window wouldn't roll up. Then couldn't open car door to get out when I got to school, first dose of adult winter reality.

1/04 sticks in my mind as one of the coldest stretches of wx IMBY. we went below zero even on the outer cape...which is a very tough thing to accomplish.

The only way I ever get below zero on the hill here is with CAA..so i think it'll happen tonight and tomorrow night. I think in jan 04 i got down to -11 at my other house which was 650 feet...We also radiated better there.

I think we stay in the single digits for highs at least 2 out of the next 3 days.. I love brutal cold..though it might curtail my early morning running

1/04 sticks in my mind as one of the coldest stretches of wx IMBY. we went below zero even on the outer cape...which is a very tough thing to accomplish.

I think I had 2 straight days with a high of 0F. Sandwiched in there was a little snow event that dropped 1-2" I believe in S NH with temps below 0F.

At the peak of the cold MWN was down around -45F. I was living in Goffstown, NH at the time and I remember getting a snow shower with a temp of -11F. I think that's the coldest legit snow I've ever witnessed in person (excluding the -27F diamond dust I saw in MN).

I think I had 2 straight days with a high of 0F. Sandwiched in there was a little snow event that dropped 1-2" I believe in S NH with temps below 0F.

At the peak of the cold MWN was down around -45F. I was living in Goffstown, NH at the time and I remember getting a snow shower with a temp of -11F. I think that's the coldest legit snow I've ever witnessed in person (excluding the -27F diamond dust I saw in MN).

yeah we had some OES with temps. around 4 or 5F. the stuff squeaked so loud when you walked on it.

i know that a lot of people despise the deep cold but i really enjoy it.

Jan '04 was a month to remember. Multiple days off of school for extreme cold and I believe that was also that month almost the entire Sound out to Nantucket froze over.

PVD fell to -6 two days in a row and only climbed to 10 during the day.

I got 1 in Jan '04 when it was supposed to be -20F. I remember people talking about going outside and dumping water and watching it freeze in the air! lol

yeah we had some OES with temps. around 4 or 5F. the stuff squeaked so loud when you walked on it.

i know that a lot of people despise the deep cold but i really enjoy it.

The February 2007 lake-effect snowstorm in Oswego I had a temperature of 7 degrees and snowfall rates of 5"/hr. with legit blizzard conditions. The 850s were like -25C during that event lol.

The February 2007 lake-effect snowstorm in Oswego I had a temperature of 7 degrees and snowfall rates of 5"/hr. with legit blizzard conditions. The 850s were like -25C during that event lol.

That's just awesome.

I think there will be some oes out here sun and mon...probably focused in harwich...brewster...orleans area but some north of there and probably west as well

Archived