amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Southern App. Surprise Heavy Snow Possible Tonight

FoothillsNC

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had quite a bit of rain here in Raleigh.

At the moment it's raining at 38 degrees. Not quite 33 and rain, but not much better. The first storm that pounded DC last year gave me 1.5" of snow in the morning followed by an entire day of 32.5-33.0 degree rain, so at least this is better than that. arrowheadsmiley.png

Congrats to those seeing snow.

Glad you're seeing something besides plain rain. Still raining here, a nice little rain event, probably the best in a while here.

Thanks for keeping a heads up on this event when everyone else wrote it off. :thumbsup: I know it wont amount to much, But just a little Ice is bad and may be another school day for the kids ? I think I have a good shot at 30-31 temp wise tonight which would be slick in the morning. 32/27 WB- 30.1 :snowman:

EDIT: It appears I have some snow mixing in temp down to 31.8 :snowman:

Interesting temperature profiles tonight. Even with some snow, the cold air around 6200 feet on top of Mount Mitchell is getting shoved out. It was 24 on Mitchell around 7:00pm and has risen to 30.7 at 9:00pm.

Grandfather is not reporting. Beech is 27.1 Sugar is at 26 up from 23 at 515pm. Poga Mountain is 31.

Thanks for keeping a heads up on this event when everyone else wrote it off. :thumbsup: I know it wont amount to much, But just a little Ice is bad and may be another school day for the kids ? I think I have a good shot at 30-31 temp wise tonight which would be slick in the morning. 32/27 WB- 30.1 :snowman:

yeah you might drop another degree. The surface wetbulb is just to your south. I think the RUC had a good handle on temps from this morning at 850. It matches nicely with the snow reports over Granite Falls, Lenoir to just west of Hickory. It was actually a close call here too , I'm at 34.4 and the airport 33.

post-38-0-20202100-1295318560.gif

Statement as of 9:18 PM EST on January 17, 2011

... Light freezing rain poissible this evening across The Triad...

Temperatures have fallen to near freezing this evening across

portions of The Triad region. Light freezing rain or rain...

possibly mixing with some snow or sleet... will be possible across

The Triad region through at least midnight. Temperatures are

expected to hover around the freezing point this evening...

resulting in the potential for a few slick spots to develop on

elevated surfaces... overpasses... and sidewalks. Black ice will

also be possible as the precipitation ends and temperatures fall

Tuesday morning.

Some locations which may see a few slick spots develop this

evening include... Rural Hall... Winston-Salem... High Point...

Lexington... Greensboro... and Stokesdale.

Motorists are urged to drive with extra caution this evening and

Tuesday morning and be prepared for possible slick spots.

Robert the radar that someone just showed on here a few post back, now shows mixed precip around Clev County.. Just looked out and it does look like there are a FEW wet flakes mixing in with the rain.. Are you seeing anything down your way?

rain last I looked. It matched nicely with the 850 zero line, which dipped in N. Cleveland County. It was a very close call here. I'm down to 34.0 now, I'm sure your area is 33 or so. I imagine the Somo's got a nice little snowfall above 1500 with accums.

rain last I looked. It matched nicely with the 850 zero line, which dipped in N. Cleveland County. It was a very close call here. I'm down to 34.0 now, I'm sure your area is 33 or so. I imagine the Somo's got a nice little snowfall above 1500 with accums.

Def. wet snow now mixing in.. I bet the South Mts will be white in the Morning.. I have a GREAT view of them from the front yard!

Robert your doing a great job calling these storms please keep up the good work.

Def. wet snow now mixing in.. I bet the South Mts will be white in the Morning.. I have a GREAT view of them from the front yard!

I have a friend working in Hickory, she lives at the top of Pine Mtn, off Ward's Gap Rd, on the border of Clev/Burke, and I'll get a report from her in the morning. I'd love to live up there.

Robert your doing a great job calling these storms please keep up the good work.

Thanks, I enjoy micro climates in W. NC for sure.

I have a friend working in Hickory, she lives at the top of Pine Mtn, off Ward's Gap Rd, on the border of Clev/Burke, and I'll get a report from her in the morning. I'd love to live up there.

Thanks, I enjoy micro climates in W. NC for sure.

Have u been to Buzzards Roost up at the Top Of Pine Mtn?? U go by the golf course and thru the gate to the top?? If you havent been up there you need to go.. U can see the buildings in Charlotte on a clear day.. Bet they have a good dusting up there tonight.. Need to take the trip up there

Have u been to Buzzards Roost up at the Top Of Pine Mtn?? U go by the golf course and thru the gate to the top?? If you havent been up there you need to go.. U can see the buildings in Charlotte on a clear day.. Bet they have a good dusting up there tonight.. Need to take the trip up there

do I? I still have the guard gate me and my friend broke to go to Buzzards Roost LOL. Its in my parents basement. I found a gate pass biking there in the 90's but it only worked one year. Haven't been in several years now. I've scaled the tower on Benn Knob when it was a rickety wooden plank tower, now its only for brave souls like service guys. O/t but yes, my fave. place to view things , you can see the Ski Resorts on Beech Mtn. as well very clearly, as well as all the airports on the valley floor, HKY EHO CLT GSP crystal clear.

Archived