Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 20th-22nd potential..

NaoPos

Here's what the 12 EURO shows...

While John (earthlight) pointed out that the blocking is a less than ideal east based a bit, there's still a block. Hey. we'll take what we can get. The MJO is forecasted to be in it's strongest phase 7 than we've seen in quite some time.

With the Pac ridge building, this time period has potential. Moreso, than what the 18-19th has in terms of widepsread snowfall. We'll have to see how the 18-19th system interacts up north, and whether it becomes a 50-50 and help establish a block (such as what the 12z EURO showed today) Discuss away..

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the lack of blocking for this storm. It will be a quick mover.. and will have to take a perfect trajectory to keep this from gong to rain near the low pressure system. :x This will play havoc on precip type East of 95 if the low is too close to the coast.

yup, like forky said you need a flatter solution. The euro just has to much enrgy on the back side which raises the hgts to much on the ec.

If we are talking 7 days out from now ...

I find it hard to believe anyone would get rain with MAX temps looking like this...

A SECOND VERY STRONG COLDSURGE DROPPING THRU THE NRN PLAINS DAY 5 THURSDAY AND DRIVING TOTHE EAST COAST DAY 6 AND 7 FRI/SAT WITH SOME OF THE COLDEST AIRTHIS SEASON AS REFLECTED BY THICKNESS VALUES AND H850 TEMPS.HIGHER CONFIDENCE IN THE PATTERN BY NEXT WEEKEND AS INDICATED BYTELECONNECTIONS/FORECAST MJO INDEX ENTERING PHASE 7 AND 8/POSITIVE PNA AND NEG AO/NAO PATTERNS AND GOOD OPERATIONAL ANDENSEMBLE AGREEMENT YIELDING A MILD WRN CONUS AND FRIGID EAST.WIDESPREAD AREAS OF SINGLE DIGIT AND BELOW ZERO LOW TEMPERATURESCAN BE EXPECTED OVER THE NORTHEASTERN QUARTER OF CONUS NEXTWEEKEND.

The ridge axis is too far west for me and the lack of blocking makes me concerned right off the bat that the storm will try to cut in future runs, unless the trough and cold air behind it really is powerful enough to overwhelm all else. Either way, this has much less room for error than a system that tries to cut with a block present. Right now I think (if it happens) that an inland solution is preferred here.

The ridge axis is too far west for me and the lack of blocking makes me concerned right off the bat that the storm will try to cut in future runs, unless the trough and cold air behind it really is powerful enough to overwhelm all else. Either way, this has much less room for error than a system that tries to cut with a block present. Right now I think (if it happens) that an inland solution is preferred here.

I posted last night the 00Z Euro solution should have been inland with the low track, it made no sense that such a strong 500 trough over IL was still neutral over the EC or only slightly negative...this storm would not likely cut THAT far inland due to the approaching arctic airmass but it could hug the coast or track just west of NYC.

I posted last night the 00Z Euro solution should have been inland with the low track, it made no sense that such a strong 500 trough over IL was still neutral over the EC or only slightly negative...this storm would not likely cut THAT far inland due to the approaching arctic airmass but it could hug the coast or track just west of NYC.

i think this is going to be a common theme for the 2nd half of winter. The cutter option is on the table more so do to the lack of blocking. 12z Euro just has to much energy on the back side of that trof, need it to phase a little later

Majority of your guidance does not even have a storm at this time range..

And the ones that do have it south and east and are reflecting at nothing resembling a lakes cutter and with a -NAO -AO + PNA it would be extremely difficult to have a lakes cutter ..

GFS

UK

GGEM

Then there is the ECM

Currently the ECM is alone with this event...

With the cold air ..the concern would be more suppression of anything as that is actually what majority of the guidance is suggesting...

And the ones that do have it south and east and are reflecting at nothing resembling a lakes cutter and with a -NAO -AO + PNA it would be extremely difficult to have a lakes cutter ..

With the cold air ..the concern would be more suppression of anything as that is actually what majority of the guidance is suggesting...

the gem is pretty close to the euro, its just not as robust

the nao is east based at best

That is true, but remember that it was a few days ago where the Euro showed a similar solution for the 18th-19th event the GFS showd at 12Z this morning with the relatively decent low track but no cold air...of course it waffled since then but it might have had the idea right before any other models did.

the gem is pretty close to the euro, its just not as robust

the nao is east based at best

How is the GGEM close to the ECM?

144 GGEM 12 Z

12 Z ECM

One is up by Cape Cod at 144 hrs and the other is well south over Alabama...

It does show a storm yes...in the same ball park ...no ...

Pattern does not reflect a GLC...

A SECOND VERY STRONG COLDSURGE DROPPING THRU THE NRN PLAINS DAY 5 THURSDAY AND DRIVING TOTHE EAST COAST DAY 6 AND 7 FRI/SAT WITH SOME OF THE COLDEST AIRTHIS SEASON AS REFLECTED BY THICKNESS VALUES AND H850 TEMPS.HIGHER CONFIDENCE IN THE PATTERN BY NEXT WEEKEND AS INDICATED BYTELECONNECTIONS/FORECAST MJO INDEX ENTERING PHASE 7 AND 8/POSITIVE PNA AND NEG AO/NAO PATTERNS AND GOOD OPERATIONAL ANDENSEMBLE AGREEMENT YIELDING A MILD WRN CONUS AND FRIGID EAST.WIDESPREAD AREAS OF SINGLE DIGIT AND BELOW ZERO LOW TEMPERATURESCAN BE EXPECTED OVER THE NORTHEASTERN QUARTER OF CONUS NEXTWEEKEND.

How is the GGEM close to the ECM?

One is up by Cape Cod at 144 hrs and the other is well south over Alabama...

It does show a storm yes...in the same ball park ...no ...

Pattern does not reflect a GLC...

The precip look is pretty close with the way how its oriented more towards a front passage.

No one is saying a glc, but a hugger or track over the cities isnt out of the question. Whenever you have limited blocking and the trof/ridge positioning being shown an inland solution is not off the table.

The precip look is pretty close with the way how its oriented more towards a front passage.

No one is saying a glc, but a hugger or track over the cities isnt out of the question. Whenever you have limited blocking and the trof/ridge positioning being shown an inland solution is not off the table.

Some on here would welcome one of those.:whistle:

a changeover is not out of the question, given all the southerly flow in e n america. however, we can still get a pretty good amount of snow before it warms up with these waa situations

If you're talking about the first event I initially thought the same but the models have clearly trended in the direction of a relatively strong coastal storm with the angle of approach by the storm and position of the high considerably getting worse, at this point the most I can envision is 1-2 inches of snow before a changeover at the coast...the 18Z GFS still gave some hope but the NAM is an outright nightmare for anyone who wants that....the NAM is not in its best range but this season it has been very good on occasion even at its long range though it was obviously too far west with the last event beyond 72.

If you're talking about the first event I initially thought the same but the models have clearly trended in the direction of a relatively strong coastal storm with the angle of approach by the storm and position of the high considerably getting worse, at this point the most I can envision is 1-2 inches of snow before a changeover at the coast...the 18Z GFS still gave some hope but the NAM is an outright nightmare for anyone who wants that....the NAM is not in its best range but this season it has been very good on occasion even at its long range though it was obviously too far west with the last event beyond 72.

SG, which storm are we talking about? The one at the end of the next week when temps are supposed to be in the 20s, or the Monday-Tuesday event?

SG, which storm are we talking about? The one at the end of the next week when temps are supposed to be in the 20s, or the Monday-Tuesday event?

I swear I'm lost....I see posts in each thread where I see what appears to be people discussing the storm from the other thread....I was referring to the first event Tuesday.

the second one. it looks that way, at least on the euro

Archived